Scar Tissue After Gynecomastia Surgery- Do I Need A Revision?

I had my surgery last June with liposuction. I was warned before hand about scar tissue development so I wasnt worried about it when I got the lumps afterwards. However, as time has gone by and plenty of massaging of the area, the scar tissue has not yet broken down and still remains. Its been 14 months, and my doctor has suggested a revision surgery to remove the scar tissue, but this will only increase the chances of it returning! My right side has a huge lump, left is flatter but also has it!

Gynecomastia Revision Surgery Needed

+1

Liposuction alone will only correct the male chest for one who has "pseudo-gynecomastia", which is caused by fat alone. Male breast tissue is too dense to be removed through a cannula that is used for liposuction. The majority of men have true gynecomastia, which is a combination of fat and breast tissue. You most likely have breast tissue remaining along with scar tissue which can only be removed by surgical excision. Revision surgery is more difficult but can be done with great results. Good Luck!

Revision of gynecomastia surgery

+1

If you are not satisfied with the surgery I would let the surgeon perform the revision. It shouldn't be too difficult at all. Be prepared to pay for the facility fee but most surgeons would waive any further professional fee.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Gynecomastia revision surgery

+1

Based on your history and description of your current situation, it is likely that you have residual breast tissue that you are feeling. This tissue may have been left behind since you had liposuction surgery only. The liposuction procedure may have been ineffective in removing the breast tissue.  Revisionary surgery may involve an incision below the areola, excision of the residual breast and “scar” tissue and fine tuning liposuction if necessary. Again, without the benefit of examining you personally, I think you have a good chance for significant improvement with the revisionary surgery.

Gynecomastia revision

+1

There is a good chance that not all of the tissue has been removed by the liposuction procedure.  Excision of the remaining tissue via an incision at the border of your areola is likely the best option for correction.  See link for before and after photos of what to expect.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

+1

Only way to remove these "lumps" is revisional surgery. If still unsure obtain second opinions from other boarded PSs in your area.