Scar Tissue After Gynecomastia Surgery- Do I Need A Revision?

I had my surgery last June with liposuction. I was warned before hand about scar tissue development so I wasnt worried about it when I got the lumps afterwards. However, as time has gone by and plenty of massaging of the area, the scar tissue has not yet broken down and still remains. Its been 14 months, and my doctor has suggested a revision surgery to remove the scar tissue, but this will only increase the chances of it returning! My right side has a huge lump, left is flatter but also has it!

Revision Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi tomjohnson,

Thanks for the post and photo. At 14 months you will not see any further improvement in your chest. Based on the photo the right outer lower chest shows fullness. This can only be treated with another surgery.

The main question is whether you initially had a flat appearance to the chest and then developed the fullness or if it was full from the first day after surgery. If it was full right after surgery then it's likely not scar tissue, but rather residual breast tissue that would not have been removed with a liposuction technique. If the chest was originally flat after surgery then developed the lumps then it is likely scar tissue.

Dr. Dadvand

9201 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90069

Consider revision

You may want to consider revision surgery nonetheless, since the lumps may also be caused by remaining glandular tissue that wasn't removed in the original surgery.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652

Revision of gynecomastia surgery

If you are not satisfied with the surgery I would let the surgeon perform the revision. It shouldn't be too difficult at all. Be prepared to pay for the facility fee but most surgeons would waive any further professional fee.

Ronald Schuster, MD

10807 Falls Rd.
Baltimore, MD 21093

Gynecomastia revision surgery

Based on your history and description of your current situation, it is likely that you have residual breast tissue that you are feeling. This tissue may have been left behind since you had liposuction surgery only. The liposuction procedure may have been ineffective in removing the breast tissue.  Revisionary surgery may involve an incision below the areola, excision of the residual breast and “scar” tissue and fine tuning liposuction if necessary. Again, without the benefit of examining you personally, I think you have a good chance for significant improvement with the revisionary surgery.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Gynecomastia revision

There is a good chance that not all of the tissue has been removed by the liposuction procedure.  Excision of the remaining tissue via an incision at the border of your areola is likely the best option for correction.  See link for before and after photos of what to expect.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Only way to remove these "lumps" is revisional surgery. If still unsure obtain second opinions from other boarded PSs in your area. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Gynecomastia Revision Surgery Needed

Liposuction alone will only correct the male chest for one who has "pseudo-gynecomastia", which is caused by fat alone. Male breast tissue is too dense to be removed through a cannula that is used for liposuction. The majority of men have true gynecomastia, which is a combination of fat and breast tissue. You most likely have breast tissue remaining along with scar tissue which can only be removed by surgical excision. Revision surgery is more difficult but can be done with great results. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

450 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94108