Loose Skin and Male Breast Reduction?

My husband has lost over 100 pounds over the past year through diet and exercise but still has a lot of loose skin around his breasts. Would breast reduction surgery remove the loose skin? Are most men happy with the results from surgery?

Loose Skin and Male Breast Reduction

Thanks for the post and congratulations to your husband for the weight loss. If the skin has lost its tone and looks or feels loose then the only way to correct the to excise it. Male breast reduction surgery in these cases not only involve removing of any excess tissue but also removing the excess skin, and if necessary repositioning the nipple and areola. I highly recommend your husband to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon who has experience with this type of gynecomastia surgery. Men are typically very happy with the results.

Dr. Dadvand

9201 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90069

Skin excision with gynecomastia

First of all, congrats on the weight loss!  I'd wait 6 months from weight loss and remove skin along with the gland.  The trade off is a scar.  There are different approaches to do this type of surgery and much of it depends on how much skin there is and how elastic the properties of the skin are.  Generally, in massive weight loss patients the skin has poor elastic properties and won't contract. However, I'd have to see the skin.  Because, it would be nice to excise the gland through a well camouflaged incision around the areola if this could be done. 

Tim Neavin, MD

9615 Brighton Way
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Loose skin removal

Excess skin can be removed with a body lift, and it's achieved great results for my patients. The only tradeoff is scarring.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652

Loose Skin and Male Breast Reduction?

Great job on the weight reduction.  Loose skin will not get better on its own.  Male breast reduction will help re-contour the chest.  In my practice, patients are very happy after this surgery.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

16614 Creek Bend Drive
Sugar Land, TX 77478

Yes, Skin excision the best option.

Congradulation for lossing so much weight.

There are many types of breast reduction that are used in the situation.  It depends on the specific situation.  Consultations these days are often free. The price will very from8 to 15 thousand.  This depends on the extent of the breast skin and tissue, but also what is required to blend it into the surrounding tissue.

Men are happy if a good job is done and the accomplish their realistic goals. However, there is incision scars that one has to live with.

Miguel Delgado, MD

450 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94108

Male breast reduction for loose skin

A surgical excision, akin to a mastopexy would reduce the loose skin. A very important part of patient satisfaction is related to having a surgeon who is knowledgeable about different methods for gynecomastia treatment and applies the right one or combination to your case. Liposuction, which may be commonly performed by various physicians, is not always the correct surgical treatment method and in your husband's case, with a significant weight loss, would worsen the sagging and skin laxity. He would require a circumareolar approach and excision of the redudant skin to achieve an acceptable result. Congratulate him on the weight loss! I would also counsel waiting until he has reached his desired weight prior to having surgery although, if he isn't there yet, this would be an excellent time to seek consultations and select a plastic surgeon with whom you are both comfortable.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Male Breast Reduction after Weight Loss

Male breast reduction of some type is the answer for significant loose skin in this area after weight loss.If the excess skin is significantly visible in clothing, then the improvement is usually well worth the scar. If the excess is only visible without clothes, then only a discussion of the exact procedure needed and the scars that will result will allow him to decide if it is worth the trade.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

209 Hospital Drive
Highlands, NC 28741

Options for male breast reduction

The common condition known as gynecomastia is characterized by enlarged breast tissue and affects an astonishing 40 to 60% of men. Fortunately, the condition is easily reversed with liposuction just by making a small incision under the nipple. I tend to use a type of liposuction that involves ultrasound to liquefy the fat to make its removal easier. Whatever the method used, the surgeon will eventually suck out the fat and glandular tissue from around the areola and from the sides and bottom of the breasts. Because liposuction stimulates the skin to tighten, good elasticity provides a smooth contour after fat is removed. However, with overweight men the process is tougher because they may have sagging skin that needs to be tucked. 

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

1001 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10028

Gynecomastia with excess skin may need skin resection

Male breast which had loose redundant skin will need skin excision in addition to liposuction and removel of gland.  Results are excellent as long as patient is willing to accept visible scars on the chest. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

7777 Forest Ln
Dallas, TX 75230

Male Breast Reduction

Usually male breast reduction surgery is performed with liposuction.  When there is excess skin liposuction only will not correct the situation and removal of skin is necessary.  The scars are reasonable in all honesty.  The trade off is that in clothes (closer fitting shirts) the person looks better for some more noticeable incisions.  The majority of men are thrill to make the trade because of the great source of embarassment their chest has caused them in the past.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078