How Long Should One Wait After a Face Lift to Get a Second Opinion on the Outcome?

How long to wait to get second opinion on face Lift result.

+3

IMHO, the minimum time would be 6 months and if you indeed see experienced Face Lift surgeons, we may tell you that your skin needs some additional time to heal and re-establish blood supply before it's elevated with another Face Lift

I have performed Face Lifts for over 20 years and have seen many, many patients in your situation.  I always advise them to see the original plastic and cosmetic surgeon in an attempt to work things out as that is in their best interest both mentally and financially.  If, for some reason you have lost faith in that surgeon, then by all means see others for a second and even third opinion on how your face may be improved.  Hope this helps.

Facelift - How Long Should One Wait After a Face Lift to Get a Second Opinion on the Outcome?

+2

At LEAST 6 months unless there a compelling reason to the contrary - and that would include bleeding, infection, significant pain, unexplained symptoms, etc.  And probably longer.  It takes a LONG time for everything to heal after a procedure such as this, and intervening too soon can impair the result (tissues that still have swelling may not stretch out as well, etc).  And I agree that returning to your surgeon if at all possible is the best solution if possible; if not, it's understandable that you would still want the result you hoped for initially and that using a different surgeon might be the best way for you to achieve that.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Healing after Face Lift

+2

Wound healing is a very complex process and it takes time.  6 months minimum.  If you were my patient I would certainly want to know you were not pleased & why so that I could make you happy.  You do not have to wait 6 months to return to your surgeon.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Alabama Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait for facelift healing to complete before getting a 2nd opinion

+2

I have seen many patients that have had facelifts elsewhere that request a 2nd opinion 1 to 4 months after having a facelift.  Often there are concerns that something is not healing right, something was not done correctly, and fear of something being overlooked.

This is more likely to occur if the primary doctor does not spend enough time with the patient to allay their fears about the vagaries of the healing process.  It is important that the patient feels "listened to."

I agree with many posts, wait 6 to 9 months as interventions before then as many concerns or issues may go away as the healing process progresses.  Best of Luck!

Richard Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Talk with your surgeon

+2

When to get a second opinion depends on what you are concerned about.   Swelling--- take your time.  Nerve damage -------  you might want to move more quickly.   In any case it is always best to return to the surgeon you trusted and have a frank and open discussion about your concerns.  Many times it just takes times for things to settle down.   Some times a small revision makes big improvements.   Good Luck!       Dr Grant Stevens        

Grant Stevens, MD

How long to wait for second opinion on facelift

+2

I would tell most patients that it takes at least 6 months to a year for all the healing to completely take place after a facelift.  It can vary depending on what type of lift was done, ie. deep plane vs. SMAS vs. mini lift.  If you are really unhappy with your results, I would first recommend speaking with your original surgeon to express your concerns. It is certainly never too early to speak with your surgeon.  If he/she is not very responsive or if you feel you have lost faith in him/her, then I would consider getting other opinions after about six months.  Make sure you speak with an experienced face lift surgeon.  He/she should be doing well over 100 facelifts per year. Good luck.

Adam D. Stein, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Outcome should wait at least 6 months for a second opinion

+2

Its always good to get a second opininon but I would wait at least 6 months otherwise you won't know if the results are from swelling or something else.  You should also go to the doctor that originally did your surgery and give him a chance to know how you are feeling. That's what he would want and likely you would want if you were their surgeon.  Sometimes it takes a year before you should judge it.  If it is just plain not lifted enough, the likelihood that the lift will eventually lift up higher is not really possible.  But I would still wait 6 months at least before doing a revision.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Second opinion after facelift

+2
If you feel that things have not worked out after facelift, six to nine months should allow full healing and make a second opinion more worthwhile. If communication is good with your first surgeon you may wish to tell him where he has fallen short of your expectation, and see if there is a remedy at hand.
peterejohnsonmd

Swelling takes time to resolve after a facelift

+1

I would recommend waiting at least 6 months before considering a secondary facelift or a revision. However, you can seek a second opinion any time after your initial procedure. make sure you bring your before pictures for the 2nd surgeon to judge the results.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Second Opinion After Facelift

+1

One should wait at least 6-9 months to see the final results after a facelift or any facial rejuvenation procedure. At that time, one can address your concerns in most cases.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD