What is my Plastic Surgeon Going to do?

My plastic surgeon is going to do a face lift revision due to descending jowls and neck banding. This time he said he will "undermine" along my neck and jaw line. What does this mean? Does it include fat removal? Is "undermining" like a deep plane procedure that increases the risk of motor nerve damage?

What's involved in a face lift?

+3

Undermining is a term that describes the act of using scissors or another instrument to go through layers of tissue, underneath the skin, in order to gain access so they can be manipulated (tighten and lift SMAS, Platysma).  It's a standard part of any variation of a face lift. 

Underming can occur at different tissue layers, in the face, and hence the terms: skin only, SMAS, Deep Plane and subperiosteal face lifts.  These are descriptive phrases that identify at which tissue depth (or layer) the dissection and manipulation will take place. 

The removal of excess fatty tissue can only occur in the fatty layer which is the one immediately under the skin.  I should also mention that multiple tissue layers can and are undermined during several face lift versions.  Hope this helps.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Undermining lower face and neck skin is required to tighten jowls and neck during Facelift

+3

Undermining is simply using surgical Facelift Scissors to separate the overlying skin of the face and neck from the muscles and tissues deep to the skin.

Undermining is required to "free up" or loosen the facial and neck skin so that they can be pulled tight at the end of the Facelift and Neck Lift.

Typically the surgeon will also use sutures to tighten the muscles (Platysma Muscle) of the neck with a procedure called a Platysmaplasty. The SMAS-a muscle like membrane that covers the face is also typically tightened by sutures in the neck and cheek.

When the neck area is not undermined during a Facelift and the Platysma Muscles not tightened lax neck skin and banding is common after a Facelift. Simply lifting the upper face is inadequate if significant jowls , neck laxity and muscle banding are present before surgery.

Undermining is safe, the plane of the dissection is above nerves and vital structures if the technique is done properly.

Be sure to discuss your concerns with your doctor BEFORE surgery.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/face-lift/

How to facelift: 101

+3

Exactly what is to be done and how it is done should be explained by the surgeon.  I always do.  Undermining refers to the separation of the skin from the deep layers (muscle and fascia).  I have an office in Beverly Hills and Rancho Mirage.  The desert is resplendent with secondary facelift candidates.  In fact, we rarely do a first-timer.  So I am used to handling bands, adhesions and contour difficulties from previous facelifts.  Never feel that you can't talk to your doctor about anything.  Ask for explanation and definitions.  You will be less stressed if the communication lines are open.

Face Lift Undermining and Why Do II?

+3

Sounds like your surgeon may have been a little conservative the first time. Lifting up the skin (undermining) is a critical and important part of any facelift and must be done to get good results.  Conservative mini lifts with little if any undermining produces mini results that do not please.  Get a few consults from surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and  a Fellow of the Americal College of Surgeons.   Get two consultations.  If comfortable go back to your original surgeon and if not go elsewhere.   Send picture and we can help you more.  My best.   Dr Commons.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Like moving a rug, you first have to lift it from the floor

+3

Undermining means to separate the skin from the surface underneath it.  This also allows the surgeon to manage the layers under the skin by either shifting them as well (SMAS lift) or adjusting the neck muscle (playsmaplasty) or any one of many other options.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Secondary facelift

+2

Undermining, in surgical terms, means to free up tissue by means of surgical dissection.  If you "undermine the cheek area", it means you separate the skin and fat from deeper anatomic structures.

How the surgeon treats the tissues after that is open to debate.  There are several possibilities - so ask your surgeon to explain which technique he will use to treat the deeper structures (SMAS in the cheek, or platysma muscle in the neck).  It's important to understand this, prior to your procedure.

What undermining during a facelift means

+2

Undermining refers to lifting the skin off of the underlying tissues. In and of itself undermining doesn't refer to removing any fat, although your surgeon may be planning this.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/facelift-midface-lift

What does "Undermining" Mean in Facelift Surgery?

+2

Regarding: "What is my Plastic Surgeon Going to do?
My plastic surgeon is going to do a face lift revision due to descending jowls and neck banding. This time he said he will "undermine" along my neck and jaw line. What does this mean? Does it include fat removal? Is "undermining" like a deep plane procedure that increases the risk of motor nerve damage
?"

If you check dictionaries for UNDERMINE you will find preposterous explanations such as :
1. To weaken by wearing away a base or foundation: Water has undermined the stone foundations.
2. To weaken, injure, or impair, often by degrees or imperceptibly; sap: Late hours can undermine one's health.
3. To dig a mine or tunnel beneath.

AND worse. No wonder you are confused. When your surgeon began talking surgicalese you should have called a time out and asked him to return to English. After all, it does not really make a difference how smart or gifted he may be if your surgeon cannot educate you on what he proposes to do to you. Right?

UNDERMINING is Surgicalese for lifting and separating one layer from another. As Plastic surgeons, we routinely go down to a layer of flesh we need to be in (we call then a PLANE) and dissect (ie separate) and lift (ie undermine) at that level.

Not all Face lifts are undermined (lifted) along the same layer (plane). They can be done under the
- skin
- SMAS (most common).
- Deep Plane
- Bone Lining (subperiosteum)

Per your question, all Facelift dissection can uncommonly be associated with nerve injuries. The Deep Plane has the highest such risk and the under the skin dissection, the lowest.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Explaining undermining with a facelift

+2

Undermining is simply elevation and redraping of the tissues to rearrange them. A simple analogy would be similar to lifting the sheets of your bed down to the foot of the bed ("undermining") and pulling them forward to make them taut and flat.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

Undermining simply means separating tissue planes

+1

Thank you for the question.  Undermining is perhaps one of the most common parts of most plastic surgery procedures.  The process involves separating one tissue from another and can be at any level.  Therefore, the skin can be seprarted from the fat, fat from muscle, or muscle from deeper tissues.  Your plastic surgeon will likely be separating the fat from the muscle.  The nerves are deep to the muscles so should be protected.

Dr. Remus Repta

Web reference: http://drrepta.com