3 Months Post-Facelift and Still Have Jowls

My jowls have decended. The Dr. agree's he would need to re-do my surgery. I'm still numb and sore, I worry if he's qualfied since it didn't turn out right the first time. My face still feels tight. Should I go to another Dr. who does smart lipo and have my jowls done or do you think I need to go thru it all again? I would also like to add I had ten days of severe pain and couldn't open my jaw wide enough to eat solid foods for about three weeks. Another Dr. I saw said that wasn't normal.

Smartlipo of jowls can damage nerves-Seek a second opinion on jowls after Facelift

While Laser Assisted Liposuction techniques like Smartlipo and SlimLipo can do an excellent job on the neck, one must be VERY CAREFUL trying to correct jowls with these laser techniques. The Marginal Mandibular Nerve which controls the mouth run very superficial near the jowl and can be injured by the laser and or suction cannula. I have seen reported cases of paralysis of the lip following Smartlipo done elsewhere by other surgeons.

Seek a second opinion. Most likely you will need a revision of your Facelift if jowls have recurred soon after a Facelift. Finding a good surgeon is very important especially for revision work. Word of mouth and seeking testimonials of patients is a good start

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Issues with jowls 3 months after face lift

You may just want to get a couple of other opinions before proceeding with any other procedure, treatment or revision face lift.  Since there are no pictures, of your face, it's difficult to judge whether there are jowls, loose skin, excess fat..all of which contribute to and determine the best course of action.  I do believe that it's always in the best interest of the patient to return to their original surgeon as long as they still have faith in their ability to get the job done.

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Revision Facelift

If it has been three months since your facelift, then all the changes that are going to occur should be done by now.  If you are still having some jowling, then that may need some tightening of the muscle system (SMAS), or some focused liposuction.  Without seeing you in person, it is hard to give you an accurate idea.  If you trust your surgeon, and have a good rapport with he/she, then they are usually best to perform the revision since they know exactly what went on during surgery.  If not, then find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and go for a second opinion.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

1602 Colonial Parkway
Inverness, IL 60067

Jowls 3 Months After Facelfit

It is not normal to have jowls three months after a facelift.

There is no role for liposuction in your situation.

You wonder if you should return to the physician who did not perform the operation correctly in the first place. 

Listen to yourself

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

101 NW 75th Str
Gainesville, FL 32607

Jowls 3 Months after facelift

Sounds a bit peculiar to still have jowls after a facelift procedure. You may want to consult with 2 or 3 other surgeons prior to committing to another surgery. I would wait at least 6 months before considering a revision.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

44 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10021

Jowls after facelift.

Liposuction is not the answer. The jowl fat needs to be repositioned at a higher level. You need that fat to keep the "balloon" inflated, otherwise your skin will sag. See your original surgeon about the proposed surgery and get another second opinion before deciding who should do it.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

3 Months Post-Facelift

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing you in person and examining you.  What you perceive as jowls may not be correctable with additional surgery.

Sam Naficy, MD

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Jowls Post-Operatively May Indicate Need for a Touch Up

I’m not sure how a second doctor can say that this is “not normal”, for depending on the thickness and elasticity of the skin, there can sometimes be the need for a more aggressive touch up.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

6280 Sunset Drive
Miami, FL 33143

Facelift and jowls

Doing a good facelift usually successfully treats tthe jowls.  Now that being said, some people have early relapse or very prominent jowls that  sometimes require further treatment.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

A Facelift Should Treat Jowls

If your surgery was 3 months ago, your only option right now is to wait at least a year despite your disappointment.  A Facelift is generally an excellent procedure for jowls.  However, results can vary based on who was doing it and what technique was used. If you had one of the quickie "branded lifts", 3 months is about all you were going to get out of it anyway.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

9407 Cypress Lake Drive
Fort Myers, FL 33919