Is It Safe to Have Another Facelift Seven Years After?

I'm 65 years old and had a facelift seven years ago that I was delighted with. I'm beginning now to see the need for perhaps another minor procedure even though I do Botox. I wasn't happy with my Juvederm injection for the nose-to-mouth line so prefer not attempting that again. Any suggestions as to another facelift and the type or would this be an overkill on my part? Thanks!

Secondary or revision facelift considerations

Secondary facelifts are indeed gratifying procedures, and usually quite safe in the medically cleared patient. For patients your age, our practice typically would request you get a stress test, cardiogram, physical examination and blood tests.

The bigger question is how the secondary procedure is done. Often, after a facelift there are minor alterations of the hairline and ear area. If specific steps are not taken, these irregularities get worse.

The skillset for secondary facelifts (and many of the adjunctive procedures to offer the patient) are completely different from the first time surgery.

With secondary lifts, the goal becomes correcting of the hairline, tragus (bump in front of the ear), earlobe, previous scarring, eyelid shape, especially from prior lower eyelid surgery, and restoration of hair lost to prior surgery and aging.

Even more important than the corrective aspect of the secondary facelift is the volume aspect. Valuable volume lost to time will NOT come back by itself. It must be strategically placed in areas of hollowness, and readjusted from positions where the volume is detrimental to a position where the volume enhances the appearance.

Also important is the appearance and length of the upper lip, the earlobes, the skin surface itself, since all of these structures have been aging (and often lengthening) over time.

If you want to obtain your best result, your prospective surgeon should be comfortable with these concepts, and probably will bring them up at the time of consultation without you having to say anything.

Secondary Facelifts and your appearance

Two issues that are mutually exclusive in your question. The first is whether it is safe to undergo a second facelift procedure in a 7 year period. To this I would echo the sentiments of my colleagues in that the safety of the procedure will depend on your overall health and the skill of your surgeon.
The second issue is whether you are an appropriate candidate physically for a second facelift. The fact that fillers around your mouth did not really do the trick is no surprise. You might consider fillers or fat to specific areas of your face that would give you a more youthful and full faced appearance rather than the appearance you will get by simply pulling your skin tighter. The mid face, cheeks, jaw line, and temples are four such regions.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is Safe if you are Healthy

Safety in a surgical procedure is predicated on the physiological health of the patient. In elective cosmetic surgical cases, one of the chief responsibilities of the surgeon is appropriate patient selection: based on indications (aging changes), physiological health (cardiovascular, respiratory, and other systems), and psychological health (an individual's state of mind and motivations). Revision Facelift surgery can be more technically complex depending on the incision placement and technique of the first surgeon, but in most circumstances is feasible.

Your being underwhelmed with Botox and Juvederm isn't unusual for a patient at your stage. Although these procedures can work very well, they just don't achieve the same degree of results as a Facelift. When your expectations exceed the results you can achieve with minimally invasive procedures, and you have the desire to proceed with a revision Facelift, and you are healthy, then it is safe to proceed.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Redo facelift

Revision facelift surgery has the advantage of delayed flaps. This decreases the blood flow demand on the flaps of skin that are elevated as the blood flow has been redirected following the initial surgery. Caution needs to be exercised as it is not desirable to appear "over pulled" giving the patient the wind blown look.
A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area is a good start.

Is it safe to have another facelift?

The short answer to this is yes, it is safe to have another lift seven years later.  Botox and fillers simply cannot give you the results which can be achieved with a lifting procedure although they are helpful in treating certain lines and wrinkles.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Safe and satisfying

Good morning!

Yes a secondary facelifting procedure is quite possible and very safe seven years after a previous procedure.

We continue to age after any sort of rejuvenative procedure- we can only roll back the odometer we cannot freeze time.  We continue to age after a facelift, but we will always look younger than if we had not done anything at all.

Seven years is reasonable time to have a secondary procedure- I am sure you will love the results.

I hope this helps..

Robert Steely, MD

2nd facelifts depends on patient but normally very safe

I use the round lift which covers the 360 degree circle of the face to produce a natual result.  It is a technique I developed and suggest for younger patients and for 2nd facelift. It includes the SMAS procedure. 

Secondary facelift

It is not surprising that you are experiencing some loosening of your facial skin froma facelift   seven years ago.  I have performed secondary facelifts sooner than after seven years and it is perfectly safe to do so.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Secondary or Revision Facelift Considerations: Safety

Secondary facelifts are frequently performed procedures with pleasing results and usually minimal problems in the appropriate patient with medical clearance to undergo the procedure. The procedure requires greater surgical expertise and experience, since some secondary procedures are technically easier to perform while many are more complex.

Secondary facelifts are similar to a first facelift in that they need to be individualized based on your concerns, anatomy, desired outcome, and what is realistically correctable. Often a minilift plus subtlely adding volume in areas where it is deficient with micro-fat grafts, without overcorrection, may be all that is necessary. Fillers have their place, but as you have experienced, they have significant limitations and don’t replace a lift. There is no one best surgical technique. The factors to consider that are more important than a specific technical type of facelift are the skill, artistry and experience of the Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

No matter which procedure you have, the goal should be a natural appearing result that puts the facial features in harmony and balance. Risks can be minimalized by undergoing the secondary facelift in a facility that is accredited by a national organization, like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF), or licensed hospital and being monitored during the procedure by an appropriate anesthesia provider.

Generally the gain from a secondary lift lasts 7-12 years, but you should always look fresher than a twin, if you have the procedure and the twin does not.

Robert Singer, MD   FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Safety of a Secondary Facelift

If you are healthy, another facelift, if indicated, is quite safe and the proper thing to do. However, secondary cosmetic surgery is more difficult and requires more expertise and experience as facial reshaping can lead to facial deformities unless one understands how to do secondary facelift surgery. In general, one must release the scar, reshape the face and neck, and refill the deep fat compartments to give the patient a youthful non-operated look. Most facelift techniques last about 7 to 10 years.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD