How Long Do I Have to Sleep on my Back After Breast Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation on February 9th 2012 400CC / silicone / under the muscle / incision around areola. No problems at all, no pain and i feel great! I normally sleep on my side so, it has been hard to stay sleeping the whole night on my back. When is it safe to start sleeping on my side or on my stomach? I worry that if i try sleeping on my side or stomach I might wake up with the implants towards one side, capsulated, deform or even pop it. Could it be painful if i try another position?

Sleeping after a breast augmentation

+7

I tell my patients to sleep on their back for at least 6 weeks after a breast augmentation to prevent deformation of the implant and the scar capsule that is forming around the implant during that time. I tell my patients not to sleep on their stomach ever because I believe that position leads to drooping appearance of the breast. Also most women tell me it is a bit uncomfortable to sleep prone after a breast augmentation anyway.

The other reason to sleep on your back is that you will get fewer wrinkles on your face.  Lay on your side with and hand held mirror and look at your face when you are lying on your side and you will see more wrinkles than you want.  Also sleeping on your side tend to increase the wrinkling of the skin of your chest.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping After A Breast Augmentation

+5

As I answer this, you are 5 weeks after surgery. I prefer that my patients sleep on their backs for the first 3-4 weeks. I then allow them to sleep on their sides as comfort allows. They then progress to sleeping on their abdomens from there as comfort allows as well. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon as they may proceed at a different pace. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after Breast Augmentation

+3

In my practice, after Breast Augmentation, my patients are asked to sleep on their side or back for generally 6 weeks.  If something is hurting or uncomfortable, then I would avoid that position.  All the best.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position after breast augmentation

+2
Don't worry too much about it.  You are not going to move the implants by lying on them, especially after 3-4 weeks when the capsule is well developed.   

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Sleep on side or back

+2
I generally recommend that patients sleep on their side or back initially, while wearing a good bra that provides support. This should be done throughout the first eight weeks of your recovery. Doing so prevents the implants from being displaced by falling to the sides or "bottoming out". However, it's best to follow your surgeon's instructions.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Sleep position after breast augmentation

+2
Sleeping on your back for a few days after surgery will allow you to heal more effectively. I ask my patients to elevate their back on two pillows for several days then after that time they can stop.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on Stomach After Breast Augmentation

+2

I recommend not sleeping on the stomach for about a month out from the procedure.  Sleeping on your side is fine if it feels comfortable. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Timing of Sleep on Back After Breast Augmentation

+1
Each surgeon has his or her preferences for postoperative care. The norm is 3 to 6 weeks depending on how the patient heals. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Sleeping Position After Breast Augmentation

+1
While you can't control what you do in your sleep, it is probably better and more comfortable to sleep with a bra somewhat elevated with extra pillows behind your back. This will generally keep you from turning on your side or stomach, which is likely to be uncomfortable, but not likely to displace the implants. You will naturally protect yourself from doing harm because if it is really uncomfortable you will wake up and reposition yourself. At some point however, you will be surprised to have awakened in the morning comfortable, lying on your stomach.

Scott A. Brenman, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

Scott A. Brenman, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Stay on Your Back

+1
I prefer that my patients sleep on their backs for a month after surgery.  If you sleep on one side, you may displace the implant, cause bleeding, or have swelling on the down side.  It is a particularly bad idea to sleep on your belly after surgery.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon