How Long Do I Have to Sleep on my Back After Breast Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation on February 9th 2012 400CC / silicone / under the muscle / incision around areola. No problems at all, no pain and i feel great! I normally sleep on my side so, it has been hard to stay sleeping the whole night on my back. When is it safe to start sleeping on my side or on my stomach? I worry that if i try sleeping on my side or stomach I might wake up with the implants towards one side, capsulated, deform or even pop it. Could it be painful if i try another position?

Sleeping after a breast augmentation

I tell my patients to sleep on their back for at least 6 weeks after a breast augmentation to prevent deformation of the implant and the scar capsule that is forming around the implant during that time. I tell my patients not to sleep on their stomach ever because I believe that position leads to drooping appearance of the breast. Also most women tell me it is a bit uncomfortable to sleep prone after a breast augmentation anyway.

The other reason to sleep on your back is that you will get fewer wrinkles on your face.  Lay on your side with and hand held mirror and look at your face when you are lying on your side and you will see more wrinkles than you want.  Also sleeping on your side tend to increase the wrinkling of the skin of your chest.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on your back after breast augmentation

Most plastic surgeons recommend sleeping on your back for at least a few weeks after breast augmentation to prevent changes to formation of the capsule. By 3-4 weeks the capsule is well-formed and unlikely to change based on sleep position. However, I would ask your specific plastic surgeon what his/her preference is, as it is always best to follow the advice of the surgeon that did your procedure.

I hope this helps!

Bryan Correa, MD

Sleeping After A Breast Augmentation

As I answer this, you are 5 weeks after surgery. I prefer that my patients sleep on their backs for the first 3-4 weeks. I then allow them to sleep on their sides as comfort allows. They then progress to sleeping on their abdomens from there as comfort allows as well. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon as they may proceed at a different pace. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position following breast augmentation

I ask my patients to sleep on their back for the first 3-4 weeks following breast augmentation.  This is thought to reduce any risk of altering the soft tissue capsule that forms around the implant during this early stage of healing.

After that time, I feel that it is safe to proceed to sleeping on your side, even stomach as comfort allows.  Always a good idea to consult with your personal surgeon, though.  Glad to hear that everything went so well.

Sleep on side or back

I generally recommend that patients sleep on their side or back initially, while wearing a good bra that provides support. This should be done throughout the first eight weeks of your recovery. Doing so prevents the implants from being displaced by falling to the sides or "bottoming out". However, it's best to follow your surgeon's instructions.

Sleeping position after breast augmentation

Sleeping in a position that you would not naturally sleep in is difficult. After breast augmentation the breast implant becomes surrounded by a capsule (or scar tissue) and during the first 4-6 weeks the position of this capsule can be influenced by outside forces such as activity, sleeping position, and brassieres. Plastic surgeons try to give advice to their patients for best results. I suggest to my patients that they sleep on their backs for 6 weeks. Sleeping on your back keeps you from placing asymmetrical forces on your healing tissues during the crucial healing period. 

Rachel Streu, MD

Timing of Sleep on Back After Breast Augmentation

Each surgeon has his or her preferences for postoperative care. The norm is 3 to 6 weeks depending on how the patient heals. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Don't worry too much about it.  You are not going to move the implants by lying on them, especially after 3-4 weeks when the capsule is well developed.   

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Sleep position after breast augmentation

Sleeping on your back for a few days after surgery will allow you to heal more effectively. I ask my patients to elevate their back on two pillows for several days then after that time they can stop.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on your back is best for the first four to six weeks. If you must, sleeping on your side is ok after two weeks. Check with your surgeon. Congrats.

Grant Stevens, MD