How Long Do I Have to Sleep on my Back After Breast Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation on February 9th 2012 400CC / silicone / under the muscle / incision around areola. No problems at all, no pain and i feel great! I normally sleep on my side so, it has been hard to stay sleeping the whole night on my back. When is it safe to start sleeping on my side or on my stomach? I worry that if i try sleeping on my side or stomach I might wake up with the implants towards one side, capsulated, deform or even pop it. Could it be painful if i try another position?

Sleeping after a breast augmentation

+9

I tell my patients to sleep on their back for at least 6 weeks after a breast augmentation to prevent deformation of the implant and the scar capsule that is forming around the implant during that time. I tell my patients not to sleep on their stomach ever because I believe that position leads to drooping appearance of the breast. Also most women tell me it is a bit uncomfortable to sleep prone after a breast augmentation anyway.

The other reason to sleep on your back is that you will get fewer wrinkles on your face.  Lay on your side with and hand held mirror and look at your face when you are lying on your side and you will see more wrinkles than you want.  Also sleeping on your side tend to increase the wrinkling of the skin of your chest.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after Breast Augmentation

+3

In my practice, after Breast Augmentation, my patients are asked to sleep on their side or back for generally 6 weeks.  If something is hurting or uncomfortable, then I would avoid that position.  All the best.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on Stomach After Breast Augmentation

+2

I recommend not sleeping on the stomach for about a month out from the procedure.  Sleeping on your side is fine if it feels comfortable. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Sleeping After A Breast Augmentation

+2

As I answer this, you are 5 weeks after surgery. I prefer that my patients sleep on their backs for the first 3-4 weeks. I then allow them to sleep on their sides as comfort allows. They then progress to sleeping on their abdomens from there as comfort allows as well. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon as they may proceed at a different pace. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position after breast augmentation

+1
Sleeping on your back is best for the first four to six weeks. If you must, sleeping on your side is ok after two weeks. Check with your surgeon. Congrats.

Grant Stevens, MD

Sleep on Back 4-6 Weeks Following Breast Augmentation

+1

Following breast augmentation, there‚Äôs always the potential for breast implants to shift and every effort should be made to avoid this problem. In the post-operative period, we recommend that patients sleep on their back for four to six weeks following surgery.

Sleeping on the abdomen or side in the early post-operative period has the potential to cause shifting of breast implants and should therefore be avoided. Sleeping on the back is difficult for some patients and they often move to their side without knowing it. For these reasons, we recommend that patients sleep in a recliner.

After six weeks, we allow patients to resume all their normal activities without restrictions.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Do Not Sleep on Your Stomach for 1 Month Following Breast Augmentation

+1
Most surgeons would recommend that you not sleep on your stomach for one month after breast augmentation.If you postoperative course is proceeding as planned, it is reasonable to allow you to sleep on your side within a week or two after the procedure.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

How long should I sleep on my back after breast augmentation?

+1

I recommend 6 weeks of sleeping on your side or back.  I often ask patients prone to sleeping on their stomach to surround themselves with pillows so they don't rollover at night.   After 6 weeks, you can attempt to sleep on your tummy, but may find it rather uncomfortable for months.  

I would carefully monitor your implants, as you do run a risk of the implants pushing outward due to pressure on the chestwall while sleeping on your stomach.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Sleeping After Breast Augmentation

+1

After a 2 week recovery period, you should be safe to sleep on your side as long as it isn't painful or uncomfortable for you.  6 weeks is best before attempting to sleep on your stomach.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Sleeping on your side or stomach after augmentation.

+1

Sleeping position is most important during the first 4-6 weeks following surgery. During this time, the capsule which defines the implant pocket is developing. Sleeping on your sides or stomach is typically okay following the first month or so after surgery.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon