How Long Do I Have to Sleep on my Back After Breast Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation on February 9th 2012 400CC / silicone / under the muscle / incision around areola. No problems at all, no pain and i feel great! I normally sleep on my side so, it has been hard to stay sleeping the whole night on my back. When is it safe to start sleeping on my side or on my stomach? I worry that if i try sleeping on my side or stomach I might wake up with the implants towards one side, capsulated, deform or even pop it. Could it be painful if i try another position?

Sleeping after a breast augmentation

+8

I tell my patients to sleep on their back for at least 6 weeks after a breast augmentation to prevent deformation of the implant and the scar capsule that is forming around the implant during that time. I tell my patients not to sleep on their stomach ever because I believe that position leads to drooping appearance of the breast. Also most women tell me it is a bit uncomfortable to sleep prone after a breast augmentation anyway.

The other reason to sleep on your back is that you will get fewer wrinkles on your face.  Lay on your side with and hand held mirror and look at your face when you are lying on your side and you will see more wrinkles than you want.  Also sleeping on your side tend to increase the wrinkling of the skin of your chest.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after Breast Augmentation

+3

In my practice, after Breast Augmentation, my patients are asked to sleep on their side or back for generally 6 weeks.  If something is hurting or uncomfortable, then I would avoid that position.  All the best.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping After A Breast Augmentation

+3

As I answer this, you are 5 weeks after surgery. I prefer that my patients sleep on their backs for the first 3-4 weeks. I then allow them to sleep on their sides as comfort allows. They then progress to sleeping on their abdomens from there as comfort allows as well. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon as they may proceed at a different pace. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on Stomach After Breast Augmentation

+2

I recommend not sleeping on the stomach for about a month out from the procedure.  Sleeping on your side is fine if it feels comfortable. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Sleep on side or back

+1
I generally recommend that patients sleep on their side or back initially, while wearing a good bra that provides support for the breasts throughout the first eight weeks of recovery, day and night. This prevents the implants from falling to the sides or "bottoming out" (when the implants move unfavourably downward). However, it's best to follow your surgeon's instructions.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

You can sleep how ever you feel comfortable

+1
You don’t have to sleep on your back or sit up all night after breast augmentation surgery. You can sleep any way you want from the night of surgery on, including on your stomach, if you are comfortable enough. You won’t pop or displace your implants by sleeping on them; they are extremely durable.

Ted Eisenberg, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Sleep position after breast augmentation

+1
Sleeping on your back for a few days after surgery will allow you to heal more effectively. I ask my patients to elevate their back on two pillows for several days then after that time they can stop.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on my back

+1
There is no right answer.  Basically you can sleep on your side once it doesnt hurt.  I tell patients not to lay flat on the stomachs...ie getting a massage for 3 months especially if they have an areolar approach. 

Rady Rahban, MD

Sleeping position after breast augmentation

+1
Sleeping on your back is best for the first four to six weeks. If you must, sleeping on your side is ok after two weeks. Check with your surgeon. Congrats.

Grant Stevens, MD

Sleep on Back 4-6 Weeks Following Breast Augmentation

+1

Following breast augmentation, there’s always the potential for breast implants to shift and every effort should be made to avoid this problem. In the post-operative period, we recommend that patients sleep on their back for four to six weeks following surgery.

Sleeping on the abdomen or side in the early post-operative period has the potential to cause shifting of breast implants and should therefore be avoided. Sleeping on the back is difficult for some patients and they often move to their side without knowing it. For these reasons, we recommend that patients sleep in a recliner.

After six weeks, we allow patients to resume all their normal activities without restrictions.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon