For Breast Augmentation, Should I Discontinue 1% Salicylic Acid Use?

I am scheduled to have breast augmentation surgery in three weeks. I currently use an acne medication that contains 1% salicylic acid. I apply it topically to my face only. Is it safe to continue using this product?

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Good question, this topical medication would unlikely interfere with anything and I would be ok with you taking it if you were my patient

It is doubtful that topical salicylic acid would cause any problem with breast augmentation.

+1

It is doubtful that topical salicylic acid would cause any problem.  Check with your surgeon to be sure and follow your surgeon's recommendations.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Salicylic acid

+1

I suspect your surgeon told you to stop taking aspirin  orally prior to your procedure because of the risk of bleeding.  Topical salicylic acid should not cause blood thinning, but it is best to check with your surgeon regarding any medication you are taking and whether it is okay to continue to use it.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Salicylic acne medicine -discontinue prior to breast augmentation?

+1

I doubt the absorption would be significant to affect your bleeding during surgery, but it is always safer to discontinue medicines if there is any doubt.  I would let your surgeon know and follow his or her advice.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Stop the salicylic acid before breast augmentation

+1

I cannot imagine it makes a difference, and you should confirm with your surgeon, but I would have my patient stop the salicylic acid a week before surgery just in case.  Good luck on your surgery.

James E. Chappell, MD