How Long is Recovery for a Tummy Tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift Combo?

im a dental assistant, i dont stand too much but i do move around alot and i only have 12 days to return to work after the procedure.

i had my gallbladder removed in 07 i got it removed on a thur and went back to work on a mon even thought they were small incisions and i was sore i did fine. is it possible that i may be able to return as a dental assistant after 12 days?

Two week recovery after tummy tuck and Brazilian butt lift.

You have to be clear about what we mean by recovery. In two weeks after tummy tuck and Brazilian butt lift, you will be able to function, but you will not feel normal for one month.

Brazilian Butt Lift and Tummy Tuck combo

Hi there-

There are two big issues here....

First, I would never personally perform this combination of procedures at the same time, for a multitude of reasons...

1. Recovery positioning for the two is mutually exclusive
  2. Using the meticulous technique required to achieve success with the Brazilian Butt Lift technique, combined with the length of time it takes to do a tummy tuck (even in the speediest of hands) will simply make the operation too long and significantly elevate your risks.
  3. If it is safe to assume that you are pursuing plastic surgery because you wish to look your very best, I think it is irresponsible of a surgeon to offer you this combination, and foolhardy of you to pursue it.
    • My strong opinion is that in order to achieve the very best outcome from a tummy tuck procedure, you will need to be in positions during and after the surgery that are simply not possible after a BBL.
    • I feel equally strongly that in order to achieve the very best outcome from a BBL, you will need to do things and be in positions after surgery that a tummy tuck would make impossible.

If you were my patient I would absolutely refuse to do this- my reputation depends on achieving the very best outcomes in the safest manner possible, and this combination spells trouble in every way.

After surgery, when you are unhappy with your outcomes because it was not a good plan to begin with, will you be appeased because you got to have the two procedures together? I don't think so... You're going to wish you had done things right and gotten a better outcome... or avoided a complication....

With regard to returning to work, I do have some patients that return to non-labor-intensive jobs 12 days after a tummy tuck, or 12 days after a BBL.

Remember- the goal of the surgery is NOT to simply DO IT, but to have it be SAFE, and to achieve the OUTCOME YOU DREAM OF.

You need to make the decisions that are going to maximize your safety and chances of ending up happy...

The recovery experienced after any given operation will vary significantly from one patient to another; for example, some patients need two to three days of postoperative pain medications; some patients require several weeks of pain medications. Much may depend on exactly what procedures performed, pain control measures taken, patients' pain threshold/personality characteristics…
The tummy tuck operation is a relatively extensive operation that involves an underestimated physical, and often emotional recovery time. For most patients's the recovery period ranges from 2 to 4 weeks. However, even at the one month post op mark, patients are not 100% back to full strength/stamina.
Since you considering undergoing a major operation which again involves a significant physical AND emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Hello! Thank you for your question! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Given your desires, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. Also, abdominal wall tightening may optimize your result. Stretch marks to the level of your umbilicus will also be excised. I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.

You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. I typically recommend a 6 week period of no strenuous activity/vigorous exercise along with an abdominal binder for the same time period. It usually takes 6-12 weeks for full healing and swelling to subside before results final. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Recovery time for Tummy Tuck/Brazilian Butt Lift Combination

I do not think that 12 days is enough time to recover as a dental assistant that will have to move around a lot and will also have to stand. Three to four weeks would be a lot more appropriate. As you will heal simultaneously from the fat transfer to the buttocks and the abdominoplasty, it is really the tummy tuck recovery time that will limit your return to work.

Some tummy tucks are easier for the surgeon and patient's recovery alike..If you are in ideal shape and appropriate weight on average the better the result and faster the healing period and less involved the surgery. To make the initial few days easier, I would consider using Exparel, a long acting local anesthetic your surgeon can use which eliminates the need for a pain pump such as the  On-Q device. I still think it would be better to wait at least another week to return to your work as a dental assistant.

Many patients are able to return to work and daily activities within 2 weeks of surgery but they usually have a desk job as sitting is easier than standing and moving around a lot..  Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and loosening of the tight sensation may take several months. Abdominoplasty recovery can be in some cases slow and uncomfortable requiring more time for a full recovery. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. Sports will be more comfortable after 6 weeks.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Risks outweigh the benefits

I think that there is too  risk with both this procedure and the limited time off from work.   First off, I would give yourself at least 2 weeks to recover from a full tummy tuck prior to returning to work.   Secondly, I would recommend staging your tummy tuck and buttock fat injections for an optimal result.   

After the tummy tuck, you will have to sit on your buttocks for a prolonged period, which will decrease the likelihood of the fat cells surviving.   Also after the buttock fat injections, we recommend lying on your stomach for one week to maximize fat cell survival.  You will be unable to do this with a tummy tuck.  

I understand the importance of returning to work early, but think about the amount of work that will be missed if a complication occurs from a risky procedure.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Planning Recovery From Tummy Tuck

12 days is feasible, probably the minimal time you should plan.

The length of the recovery will depend on how much of a tummy tuck you require.  Muscle repair will add a lot to your recovery.

Optimize your preop preparations, follow your post-op instructions with diligence, focus on good nutrition with plenty of protein (1/2 - 3/4 grams per pound of body weight) and hydration.

Discuss yourwork responsibilities with your surgeon.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Return to work

The ability for you to return to work will likely depend on the tummy tuck.  It is possible to return in your time frame but you will be tired and sore.

Michael Philbin, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

10 days to 2 weeks

Typically most patients are able to return to work 10-14 days after an abdominoplasty. You will still need to recover for several weeks and avoid vigorous abominal exercising for at least 6 weeks until the muscle repair is strong enough to withstand the stress.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Tummmy Tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift combo not good together

• This combination surgery does not make sense from a recovery perspective. After a BBL, you need to stay off of your butt for a few days. Most patients end up sleeping on th stomachs- which is impossible to do after a full abdominoplasty wih fascia plication. I would recommend staging this procedure.