How Long is Recovery for a Tummy Tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift Combo?

im a dental assistant, i dont stand too much but i do move around alot and i only have 12 days to return to work after the procedure.

i had my gallbladder removed in 07 i got it removed on a thur and went back to work on a mon even thought they were small incisions and i was sore i did fine. is it possible that i may be able to return as a dental assistant after 12 days?

Brazilian Butt Lift and Tummy Tuck combo

+2

Hi there-

There are two big issues here....

First, I would never personally perform this combination of procedures at the same time, for a multitude of reasons...

1. Recovery positioning for the two is mutually exclusive
  2. Using the meticulous technique required to achieve success with the Brazilian Butt Lift technique, combined with the length of time it takes to do a tummy tuck (even in the speediest of hands) will simply make the operation too long and significantly elevate your risks.
  3. If it is safe to assume that you are pursuing plastic surgery because you wish to look your very best, I think it is irresponsible of a surgeon to offer you this combination, and foolhardy of you to pursue it.
    • My strong opinion is that in order to achieve the very best outcome from a tummy tuck procedure, you will need to be in positions during and after the surgery that are simply not possible after a BBL.
    • I feel equally strongly that in order to achieve the very best outcome from a BBL, you will need to do things and be in positions after surgery that a tummy tuck would make impossible.

If you were my patient I would absolutely refuse to do this- my reputation depends on achieving the very best outcomes in the safest manner possible, and this combination spells trouble in every way.

After surgery, when you are unhappy with your outcomes because it was not a good plan to begin with, will you be appeased because you got to have the two procedures together? I don't think so... You're going to wish you had done things right and gotten a better outcome... or avoided a complication....

With regard to returning to work, I do have some patients that return to non-labor-intensive jobs 12 days after a tummy tuck, or 12 days after a BBL.

Remember- the goal of the surgery is NOT to simply DO IT, but to have it be SAFE, and to achieve the OUTCOME YOU DREAM OF.

You need to make the decisions that are going to maximize your safety and chances of ending up happy...

Two week recovery after tummy tuck and Brazilian butt lift.

+2

Hi.

You have to be clear about what we mean by recovery. In two weeks after tummy tuck and Brazilian butt lift, you will be able to function, but you will not feel normal for one month.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Recovery time for Tummy Tuck/Brazilian Butt Lift Combination

+1

I do not think that 12 days is enough time to recover as a dental assistant that will have to move around a lot and will also have to stand. Three to four weeks would be a lot more appropriate. As you will heal simultaneously from the fat transfer to the buttocks and the abdominoplasty, it is really the tummy tuck recovery time that will limit your return to work.

Some tummy tucks are easier for the surgeon and patient's recovery alike..If you are in ideal shape and appropriate weight on average the better the result and faster the healing period and less involved the surgery. To make the initial few days easier, I would consider using Exparel, a long acting local anesthetic your surgeon can use which eliminates the need for a pain pump such as the  On-Q device. I still think it would be better to wait at least another week to return to your work as a dental assistant.

Many patients are able to return to work and daily activities within 2 weeks of surgery but they usually have a desk job as sitting is easier than standing and moving around a lot..  Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and loosening of the tight sensation may take several months. Abdominoplasty recovery can be in some cases slow and uncomfortable requiring more time for a full recovery. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. Sports will be more comfortable after 6 weeks.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Risks outweigh the benefits

+1

I think that there is too  risk with both this procedure and the limited time off from work.   First off, I would give yourself at least 2 weeks to recover from a full tummy tuck prior to returning to work.   Secondly, I would recommend staging your tummy tuck and buttock fat injections for an optimal result.   

After the tummy tuck, you will have to sit on your buttocks for a prolonged period, which will decrease the likelihood of the fat cells surviving.   Also after the buttock fat injections, we recommend lying on your stomach for one week to maximize fat cell survival.  You will be unable to do this with a tummy tuck.  

I understand the importance of returning to work early, but think about the amount of work that will be missed if a complication occurs from a risky procedure.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Planning Recovery From Tummy Tuck

+1

12 days is feasible, probably the minimal time you should plan.

The length of the recovery will depend on how much of a tummy tuck you require.  Muscle repair will add a lot to your recovery.

Optimize your preop preparations, follow your post-op instructions with diligence, focus on good nutrition with plenty of protein (1/2 - 3/4 grams per pound of body weight) and hydration.

Discuss yourwork responsibilities with your surgeon.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Return to work

+1

The ability for you to return to work will likely depend on the tummy tuck.  It is possible to return in your time frame but you will be tired and sore.

Michael Philbin, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

10 days to 2 weeks

+1
Typically most patients are able to return to work 10-14 days after an abdominoplasty. You will still need to recover for several weeks and avoid vigorous abominal exercising for at least 6 weeks until the muscle repair is strong enough to withstand the stress.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Tummmy Tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift combo not good together

+1
  • This combination surgery does not make sense from a recovery perspective. After a BBL, you need to stay off of your butt for a few days. Most patients end up sleeping on th stomachs- which is impossible to do after a full abdominoplasty wih fascia plication. I would recommend staging this procedure.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Brazilian Butt Lift Recovery Essentials

+1

The Brazilian Butt Lift is, in itself, a multiple procedure and the recovery period for that procedure alone is 3 weeks. If you sit sooner than that it can prevent some of the fat grafts from surviving.

These are the key things that must happen for a fat graft to be successful:

• Blood supply must reach the fat graft before it runs out of nutrients.
  • Blood vessels must get incorporated into the graft successfully.
  • All the tissues- fat grafts, blood supply, and surrounding tissues must be knit together successfully by the extracellular matrix.

It takes 3-4 days for the blood vessels to grow into the fat grafts. During the new few days, the blood vessels begin to strengthen. The extracellular matrix surrounding the fat graft takes another 2-3 weeks to reach enough strength to withstand minor stresses.

This is why 3 weeks is the absolute earliest a patient can begin stressing the tissues. You should plan for 3 weeks mostly of rest on your stomach or sides, getting up occasionally to limber up the muscles, but avoiding anything that places stress on the healing tissues.

Read more about how important recovery time is for the Brazilian Butt lift in my blog post noted in the web reference. See me talk about combining the Brazilian Butt lift with the Tummy Tuck in the video.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD