Tummy Tuck with High Blood Pressure?

I am a 34 yr young lady. After giving birth my blood pressure went up and it has been high ever since. My question is can I still get a tummytuck with high blood pressure?

Tummy tuck with high blood pressure

+2

You will need a FULL pre operative medical clearance before having this surgery. This is the ONLY safe way to go. Please be careful, you are a high risk for hematomae.

From MIAMI

Management of High Blood Pressure before Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi there-

It is very important that you have your high blood pressure appropriately evaluated by your medical doctor before considering any elective surgery.

While carefully managed hypertension is not a contraindication for surgery, we would want to have proven that there is no underlying cause requiring treatment and have successfully controlled the hypertension before surgery.

Once your high blood pressure is under control, you may safely proceed with your tummy tuck.

Armando Soto, MD

Tummy tuck and hypertension

+1

You should first have your high blood pressure worked up to see if there is an underlying issue that needs to be treated. Once this has been cleared up, and once your blood pressure is under control with medication, you could safely have a tummy tuck performed. Thsi is elective surgery, so everything should be optimized prior to the procedure in order to ensure your safety and the smoothest possibel recovery. Good luck and best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and hypertension

+1

You should delay your tummy tuck until your blood pressure has been brought under control. If you are hypertensive, your chances of bleeding and other complications will be increased. Even if you do not undergo surgery, it is very important to have your hypertension appropriately treated.

John Whitt, MD

Get hypertension treated

+1

People with hypertension that is well controlled on medication can have cosmetic surgery, but may be more likely to have certain complications. Make sure you are under good control and tell your surgeon what you are on.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Treated high blood pressure

+1

Treated high blood pressure is not high blood pressure. As long as you are in good health, and manage your pressure you should be fine. You will have a bit of increased risk, but if you get cleared by your internist, you should do well.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Tummy tuck safety with high blood pressure

+1

There are very many chronic medical conditions which are compatible with safe cosmetic surgery. The key to safety is full evaluation and control of the condition by your primary care physician beforehand. There is no problem in having a tummy tuck with controlled and managed high blood pressure. Your surgeon should be able to work closely with your family doctor to be certain that you are cleared and ready when the day of your tummy tuck arrives.

Best of luck.

Blood pressure and tummy tuck surgery

+1

Your OB-GYN and internist should have some insight into why your blood pressure remains elevated in the post-partum period. Get this issue managed and controlled before considering elective surgery of any kind. Your tummy tuck can wait. Long term hypertension puts you at risk for heart and vascular disease which can be life threatening.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

If you have high blood pressure and you want a tummy tuck your pressure needs to be well controlled

+1

Hello - Many patients have several medical problems who undergo plastic surgery. As long as you're cleared by your internist/cardiologist, you should be okay for your tummy tuck. The procedure may need to be delayed until your pressure is well controlled, but it is worth the wait. Proceeding with a tummy tuck with uncontrolled high blood pressure may lead to excessive bleeding and/or hematomas.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Tummy tucks and high blood pressure

+1

My first thought is that you should have your high blood pressure completely evaluated by a internist or a family medicine doc. There are several reasons why a young woman can have hypertension, but it's important to have the potential causes looked at, ruled out, and then the hypertension treated and controlled. This more than anything will contribute to your long term health.

Once the high blood pressure is controlled, then it is usually fine to proceed with a tummy tuck-- but it needs to be controlled before surgery, during the procedure, and afterwards, in order to help reduce the chance of a potential complication.

So it's ok to do the tummy tuck, but I would strongly recommend getting the high blood pressure looked at first.

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS