What is the Recovery Time for Correction of Dog Ears?

I had a tummy tuck 9 months ago. I have small dog ears. If they get corrected, will I be able to go back to work right away, pick my 2 yr old up, and excercise? Also, I had a hematoma (Dr. says I was kicking right after surgery) when I had the tummy tuck and I am worried that I might get another one if I correct the dog ears. What are the risks? Thank you!

Correction of Dog Ears After Tummy Tucks

+2

With pregnancy or massive obesity, the maximum amount of skin expansion occurs around the belly button and tapers as we go lower to the pelvis. Had we been able to place the tummy Tuck incision / scar across the belly button we could remove equal amounts of skin on both sides of the incision.

To keep the tummy tuck scar hidden, it is placed low down near the pubis where the skin was NOT stretched. As a result, we are left with a skin discrepancy with more on the top than on the bottom. Although we also try to make up for it, often we are left with more on the sides - the "Dog Ears". These excesses often flatten with time but when they do not they can easily be removed with local anesthesia.

There is no need to excessive caution except to use common sense to prevent wound separation.

Dog-ears after tummy tuck

+2

Small dog-ears are not unusual after a tummy tuck, and can usually be corrected in the office under local anesthesia. You should be able to return to normal activities right away. A hematoma after this small procedure would be unheard-of. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

+1

With very careful planning and execution, “dog ear" occurrence can be minimized. Occasionally (despite best efforts), after tummy tuck surgery surgery, patients will have excess skin or adipose tissue at the very end of their incision lines. These may be referred to as “dog ears”. "Dog ears"  refer to a bunching up of tissue at the end of a incision line/scar. Generally they occur  because a surgeon,  in his/her attempt to keep the scar as short as possible,  has a discrepancy between the lengths  of the upper and lower tummy tuck incision lines. They can be avoided by extending the incisions and removing additional skin and subcutaneous tissue. Most patients will much prefer a longer incision line than  the bunching up of tissue and contour elevation, which is visible and palpable with and without clothing.  Often, excision of the dog ear, if it's still a concern roughly one year postoperatively can be corrected easily under local anesthesia. The procedure is relatively minor, and associate with minimal discomfort/recovery time. I hope this helps.

Dog Ear Correction Recovery

+1

Corrections of dog ears are a minor procedure performed in the office under local anesthesia in most cases. Other than avoiding direct trauma to the area there are few if any restrictions and you should be able to return to your usual activities promptly. Your surgeon will provide specific information for you.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Dog Ear Excision

+1

Dog ear excision is simple and does not require much of a recovery time. The recovery time is short and there is no restrictions as far as moving and lifting.

Just make sure you discuss this with your surgeon.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Dog ear revision

+1

A small dog ear correction surgery is usually performed under local anesthesia and typically there are minimal post-operative activity limitations or restrictions. As long as you do not have a coagulopaty, your risk of a hematoma should remain low.

Correction of dog ears after tummy tuck very easy.

+1

Hi.

Dog ears after tummy tuck happen because your surgeon tries to keep scar as short as possible. Correction is done under local anesthesia, with almost no recovery period (except you shouldn't exercise for a couple of weeks), and no hematoma.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Dog ear correction recovery

+1

I generally ask patients to refrain from lifting and exercising for about three weeks following a "dog-ear" correction.

This is a procedure that I would perform in my office OR under local anesthesia typically. It should have a much lower risk than your original tummy tuck.

John Whitt, MD