How Long to Recover from Dual Plane Breast Augmentation?

I am going for surgery next week, and would like to know how long is a sufficient time to recover. I do not want to rush anything, and want the surgery to be successful. Is 3-4 weeks really long enough? Would 6-8 or longer be better? I am reading so many different things, and am quite confused.Thank you for all your feedback.

BBA

+1

It really depends on a few factors. Adequate pain control is likely the most important. Individual pain tolerance differs greatly. I find that women who have had children generally have less post-op pain, as they have a much higher pain tolerance. From a surgical point of view, there are several things the surgeon/anaesthesiologist can do to decrease your post-op pain.

I generally perform breast blocks prior to making any incisions with a mix of short- and long-acting local anaesthetics. I have found this greatly reduces post-op pain. I also encourage patients to take the prescribed pain killers regularly every 4 hours especially for the first 24-48 hours. If you don't stay on top of the pain in the immediate post-operative period, it is extremely difficult to "catch-up". Most of my patients experience very little post-op pain after breast augmentation.

Of course, the type of augmentation you have will also determine your post-operative discomfort. Larger implants, and subpectoral implant placement will also increase post-op discomfort. This doesn't mean you shouldn't get large implants, or place them under the muscle - you simply need to know what to expect. Many women also experience difficulty with sleeping in the first few weeks after augmentation due to the weight of the implants on their chest. This is more significant in back-sleepers.

To answer your question about time off work, my experience has been that there is a huge range. I have patients that go back to work the next day (against my advice), and I have had patients take as much as 2 weeks off of work. It really depends on what you do for work, and how you feel. As for taking care of your kids, if your implant is placed under the muscle, it will be a few weeks before you feel comfortable enough to pick them up.

As for scars, I tell patients it will take a year to see the absolute final result. Practically, however, by 3-6 months the scar will be very close to the final result. I suggest 3M paper taping, and have a specific scar massage protocol I use to help speed scar resolution.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Recovery from breast augmentation

+1

Everyone heals a bit differently, and it also depends upon what type of surgery you have doen. In my practice, patients often fell better within a few days and can go back to desk work within a week. I usually have them limit aerobic activity for 3-4 weeks and heavy liftng for 6-8 weeks.

How long to recover from a dual-plane breast augmentation?

+1

The dual plane technique is our usual method of performing this surgery.  Most of our patients are back at work in a week, and back at the gym in 3 weeks.  Most use their pain pills for the first 2-4 days.  Usually very little bruising. 

So yes, I think 3-4 weeks, as you have suggested, really is enough, unless you have some unusually active job or hobby.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Recovery after Breast augmentation

+1

In my practice most patients are over the initial discomfort in about 3-4 days and most patients with a desk type of job usually return to that job about 5 days after surgery. I usually let patients start light aerobic work outs at about 10 - 14 days after the breast augmentation but they may start a bit earlier or they may be out walking around their neighborhood after just a few days.

I usually have patients start lifting weights at 4 weeks and they have no restrictions at 6 weeks. So its a gradual return to activities. Most patients have some hypersensitivity of the skin of the breast or of the nipple at one month.  This resolves over the next several weeks. At three months it is rare to have any hypersensitivity and nearly all patients at that time feel as though the breast implants are part of their body.

I hope you find this helpful.  Thank you for the question and good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Dual Plane Breast Augmentation

+1

In my practice, I have not found any signifigant differences between patients who are having a dual-plane release and those who are having another version of a breast augmentation.  Most patient can return back to a desk job in 2-3 days.  Brisk walking can begin at that time.  In 7-10 days, they can start light aerobics.  At 3 weeks, I let my patients return to almost all of their normal activities with the recommendation, start slow and work your way back up to where you were before your surgery.

Swelling after breast augmentation will vary from patient to patient and also depending upon the technique used for the surgery.  Blunt dissection techniques tend to have longer period of swelling than other techniques.  For the most part, the majority of swelling should be gone at three weeks post-op and the remainder gone over the next month or so.  

Best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Breast Augmentation?

+1

The answer to your question would depend on what you are defining as “recovery”. For example, most patients are over the “hump” of discomfort around day four after surgery. Most patients are able to return to work ( desk job)  at about one week postop. Most patients resume more strenuous exercise/lifting 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.

Recovery after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for the question. Most of your swelling will decrease in the first week. It then takes around 6 weeks for the rest of the swelling to resolve. Your final scar will be at one year. In regards to pain, most of the pain will be during the first 3 days. You may have some soreness for the first few weeks.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon