How long does it take for skin to tighten after tummy tuck?

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post opp

Skin tightening and tummy tucks

+1

It can take several months for the swelling to resolve and for the skin to tighten after a tummy tuck.

Healing after Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty

+1

After tummy tuck, the healing takes place in stages. Without the details of your particular case, it is hard to give specific answers or suggestions. For my patients, I place dissolvable sutures so they do not get sutures marks on the edges of their incisions. At the end of the surgery, I place a special surgical tape which stays in place for 1 to two weeks allowing the underlying skin/incision to begin the healing process. At the post-op appointment the tape is removed and the healing is assessed. At this point, we have a protocol to maximize the healing the patients incision to achieve the best cosmetic result depending on how their body is responding to surgery. We have many "tools" to use including laser, topical medicated creams, medications, silicone strips and other topical treatments to improve the appearance of the incisions. As for your question, immediately after surgery, your skin should be tight. There will likely be some swelling and over the next few weeks to months you will start too see more definition. However, the "loose" skin is removed during the surgery. If you post pictures, we can give you more advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Skin tightening after TT

+1

The full recuperation can take well over six months so be patient. It is a process, not an instantaneous occurrence! Happy holidays! Dr K

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Skin tightening with time.

+1

Greetings,

At 2 1/2 weeks post-op, you are probably still quite swollen. The appearance of your abdomen with improve in the coming months and your scars will fade as you approach one year after surgery.

Your activity level will improve and exercise (when this is allowed and encouraged by your plastic surgeon) will help with your abdomen's appearance, as well.

Have a speedy recovery.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

+1

Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year (or greater) a complete skin redraping to occur.