How Long Does Botox Take to Work?

I am 24. My frown lines are very deep especially for my age. I had botox twice. I am not able to frown, however, I have not seen a difference in my frown lines. My dermatologist did not want to give me more than 20 units. Do I just need more Botox or another treatment? I have had the lines Since I was 22.

Botox Usually Takes Affect Within 2-3 Days

Botox usually takes its affect within 2-3 days after the injection, and it can take up to 1-2 weeks for the full effect to be seen. None of the toxins on the market have FDA approval to say how fast they work, although studies have been done which basically say that Dysport may take affect in 2 days, Botox and Xeomin within 3 days. Obviously, everyone is different and you may have a different onset. We tell our patients to return at 2 weeks to make sure that the injections did what we wanted, and sometimes, we give more toxin to maximize the results.

If you still have lines present in your frown areas after the injections have taken affect, then you, your board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, should discuss other treatment options, most of which will be the use of hyaluronic acid fillers into the area where you still have lines, usually Restylane, Juvederm, or Belotero.

Make sure you work with a skilled provider and injector to maximize your results.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Cosmetic Takes 3-10 days to see full results

Botox Cosmetic Often begins to work within 3-5 days. However, you may not see the full result until 10-14 days. If you are unable to frown but still have lines in that area, you may need fillers or kin resurfacing as well.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Mechanism

Botox works on dynamic wrinkles - those are wrinkles what occur with contraction of your muscle underneath your skin.  If you have static wrinkles - those that are there even at rest, then you may need a combination of Botox and dermal filler to achieve the best results.  Over time, with continued use of Botox, you may see a marked improvement in the static wrinkles as well.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Frown lines and Botox

Botox usually takes about a week to work and then lasts for several months.  The lines may take several treatments to efface. If they are really bad some filler can be injected (off-label) to help soften them.

How Long Does Botox Take to Work?

Typically, one will begin to see effects within 2-3 days. Usually, full effects are seen within a week. As a neuromodulator that inhibits reuptake of acetylcholine and the nerve junction, BoTox will continue to work until it wears off at the site. There is no limit to how long one can receive it, but it generally lasts for about 3-4 months on average.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Botox

Botox typically takes affect within 3-4 days. If not, the patient should wait approx.10 days to see the full effect. If the patient still does not see a difference after the 10 days the patient should followup with the injector who did the treatment.

I hope this helps!

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Up to two weeks

It can take up to 2 weeks before the effects of a Botox treatment are apparent.  I would wait to see what happens before having another treatment.

BOTOX Results

You didn't mention when you had your last treatment. Botox usually takes 2 or 3 days to start to work, and will continue to improve over the first 7 to 10 days. The improvement will last up to 6 months. Once the effect starts to wear off, you will need a repeat treatment to continue the anti-wrinkle result. Some find that the effects last longer after having multiple treatments, even up to a year.

Takes 2 to 3 Days For Botox Results

It typically takes botox 2 to 3 days to work. In some cases patients see the benefits of botox as early as 24 hours following injection. The response becomes more noticeable over the course of 5 to 7 days.

In your case, facial animation has definitely been affected by your botox injections since you're no longer able to frown. Despite this you continue to have vertical glabellar frown lines. Botox only works for lines that are associated with muscle contractivity. In some cases, there's tethering of the soft tissue to the deeper structures which is more or less permanent. Under these circumstances, additional treatment with dermal fillers may be indicated in combination with botox. 

Botox takes 2 weeks to fully work; Dysport takes 5 days.

Botox and Dysport both work by blocking the signal between the nerve and the muscle that creates facial expression. Though they are the same active molecule (botulinum toxin A), they are wrapped in different carrier molecules. This difference accounts for the fact that Botox takes up to two weeks to achieve full effect, and Dysport achieves it in about 5 days. They both start working sooner (even as soon as the next day after treatment) but give them both time to settle in before deciding how you feel about your new treatment. Hopefully you love it!

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH