How Long Before I Can Lift my Toddler After Breast Augmentation?

I am planning a breast augmentation in about a month and am worried about lifting my two small children. I have a one year old and a 3 year old, weighing from 25 lbs to 35 lbs. When is safe to lift them...and if I have to, is there a way to lift them and minimize any possible damage?

Wait 6 weeks to be safe

+1
You'll most likely not be able to do this until about 6 weeks after your surgery. This is to prevent compromising your recovery.

Be careful!

+1
Typically I prefer that the patients do nothing for one week after surgery.  At that point they can go back to work.  In this case that would involve taking care of the children.  It is not wise to lift chilredn that weigh 35 lbs for at least 1 month from surgery.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lifting a child after your breast augmentation

+1
I tell my patients that for the first few days, they will need to depend on someone else to lift their baby or toddler. Beginning on Day 3 (if you had surgery on Monday, Day 3 is Thursday), they can lift their baby – when necessary – into and out of a crib, high chair or car seat. This restriction is to ensure their comfort and minimize the risk of bleeding around the implants. They should not carry their child for longer periods of time until a couple of weeks after surgery.

If I could, I would make patients wait longer, but I understand that most women can’t depend on someone else to help them for an entire week. 

Ted Eisenberg, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lifting children following breast augmentation

+1
My advice would be to avoid lifting more than 10 pounds for 2-3 weeks following surgery. For mothers of young children, it's best to have assistance with childcare for at least 10 days following your breast augmentation.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Lifting restrictions (baby or toddler) after breast implant augmentation

+1

All surgeons may have different recommendations depending on the over or over muscle placement. Your best bet is to ask your surgeon but I generally advise a minimum of 2 weeks with good body mechanics when lifting.

Lifting children

+1

There are no scientific studies saying when to start. Howwver, I tell my patients taht I prefer that they avoid running, jogging, etc for about 3 weeks, and heavy phsycial labor like weight lifting for 6 weeks. Mothers with small children, I tell them it is best not to lift them from a crib for at least that time but if the child rolls onto them or climbs into their arms it is probably ok at 3 weeks.

Lifting after breast augmentation

+1

Here's how to understand the answer to this question. It's a bit like you had a different type of implant like a hip implant and you want to know when you can stress it. 

The answer is the procedure has to be done properly and then it has to heal properly before you should risk stressing it. Bleeding after surgery is only one potential problem caused by straining or stressing the area before it's healed. 

In general it takes about 10 days to heal around a breast implant but there's no way to see it or be sure so two weeks is commonly used as the point at which you can safely resume all physical activity and not worry about causing problems. Prior to two weeks, particularly during the second week, it's possible to use the arms for routine things without stressing the chest area, but lifting toddlers, sports, or other serious lifting or lying on the chest is just not worth the risk until reaching two weeks of uneventful healing. 

Interestingly there are procedures like traditional liposuction where there is nothing cut or that has to heal in position and therefore restrictions on activity and positioning are not needed. Compression alone is adequate. 

Postoperative restrictions and protocols should be based on good surgical and healing sense, not habit or "getting away with it". 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

How long should i wait after breast agumentation before lifting?

+1

Great and important question!

It is CRITICAL you avoid any lifting or rapid arm movements (such as vacuum cleaning,etc.) at least for 2 weeks after surgery. This is to avoid the risk of bleeding (which will usually result in a sub-optimal result) and muscle spasm.

I am on the conservative side and recommend 4 weeks, but I think all surgeons agree on the 2 week minimum.  I am sure your toddler is very cute but do not be tempted!

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Lifting after breast augmentation

+1

After any surgery, it is important to minimize your risk of a bleeding complication. Avoiding lifting for at least 2 weeks after breast augmentation is usually recommended for a smooth recovery. If the implants are placed under the muscle, heavy lifting (for example, your 25lb and 35lb toddlers) should be deferred for 3 weeks or more. Vigorous physical activity should be gradually resumed after this initial period of time.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Lifting after Breast Augmentation

+1

There is no limitation on lifting if the implants are put above the muscle, my preferred method using textured implants. You can lift within hours of surgery. You will just experience some discomfort. If the implants are under the muscle, you should probably wait at least a week. Even then, you will have some moderate discomfort.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon