Wearing a Compression Band for 6 Months After Breast Augmentation?

After surgery the doctor told me to wear something like compression band above my breast constantly for no less than 6 month… Isn’t it too long period? They didn’t tell me to wear surgical bra, just strap around me. Is it right? Don’t I have to wear something to support the breasts? ( I have 275cc smooth moderate plus silicone)

Wearing breast bands after surgery

Some surgeons recommend wearing breast bands after breast augmentation surgery. I generally find then to be cruel and  unusual punishment. In the event that your implants appear to be sitting too high initially after surgery, it is reasonable to wear a band to get the to settle sooner or to prevent them from moving higher.  If you have a situation where one implant is sitting higher than the other, I have found Ace wraps useful by wrapping the bandage above the higher breast implant and below the lower implant. In the majority of cases, I recommend no wrap at all. Six months is way too long in my opinion.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Use of Bandeaus (down pushing straps) over the Breasts should NOT have to be done for 6 months

Bandeaus, the down pushing, over the recently augmented breast, straps should be limited to very few cases and, in my opinion, should NOT have to be worn for 6 months after the surgery. Breast Augmentationis ALMOST a what-you-see-is-what-you-get operation. For best results, the woman should be sat up during the surgery and the implant placement must e as close to perfect AT THE TIME OF SURGERY. Relying on gravity or a strap to lower a breast implant which was placed too high does not always work. Furthermore, if the strap did not work in 4-6 weeks, it willnot work in 6-8 months. The ONLY possible indicationfor using it for a short period of time MAY be to help expand a corrected constricted breast deformityt (also called tuberous breasts) and even here I use it rarely and for much shorter periods of time. Dr. Aldea

Compression Band Usage Following Breast Augmentation

It’s not unusual for patients to have superior displacement of their breast implants in the immediate postoperative period. This occurs for a variety of reasons including spasm of the pectoralis muscles and swelling. In an effort to minimize this problem many plastic surgeons utilize a superior breast compression band. This device forces the implant in an inferior direction which keeps the inferior pocket fully expanded. In the majority of cases this is only necessary for about two weeks. After two weeks most of the swelling and muscle spasms have resolved and this maneuver is no longer necessary.

If the breast implants are still superiorly positioned after six months, a compression band won’t change the implant position. Under these circumstances more aggressive maneuvers are usually always necessary. In most cases this involves expansion of the inferior breast pocket with a procedure known as acapsulotomy.

If you’ve been wearing a superior compression band for six months it’s appropriate to discuss revisional surgery with your surgeon. Hopefully a treatment plan can be formulated that addresses your concerns. 

Bands are not necessary

I do not use any type of compression apparatus after surgery.  If the operation is performed correctly, then massage alone will allow the implants to fall nicely into place.  If the lower pole of the breast is inadequately released, the implants will not fall, even with a band.

Prolonged use of compression bands on breast implants: Not necessary!

The prolonged use of compression bands that you describe is not necessary and I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon. In breast augmentation surgery, no matter what the breast shape, size or technique, the pocket dissection should accomodate the chosen implant size. I do not rely on bands or bras in order to "force" the implant down. Typically this is utilized for a blind dissection pocket that is too small for the implant, usually seen in some trans-axillary (arm pit) type techniques, and commonly doesn't work. Breast implants will be high riding after a sub-pectoral pocket placement because the pectoralis muscle has some amount of spasm over the implant and holds it in a high poistion. Once this muscle relaxes, the implants will drop into their accurately dissected pocket which ususally takes 2 to 3 weeks and not 6 months.

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

High riding implants and prolonged use of an upper pole band

IF you have little to no lower pole redundancy and the implants are high riding after the surgery, it may be reasonable to use the upper pole band for a prolonged period with no lower pole support in order to encourage stretching, expansion and relaxation of the lower half of the breast which will allow settling an descent of the implants. 

Compression bands do not help if breast implants are too high.

I know that many surgeons use these bands. But in our experience, the implants need to be at the correct level at the end of surgery.  If they are too high, bands will not bring them down.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Ask your surgeon why they advised you to do this

It's best to follow whatever your surgeon advises, although this does sound unusual. Generally, I recommend patients wear a compression bra day and night for the first eight weeks in your recovery from breast augmentation, taking it off only when showering. A tensor bandage wrapped around the top of your breasts will help your breasts to settle if worn for a couple of months, but 6months does sound rather long. Please ask your surgeon why they advised you to do this.

Compression band after augmentation under the muscle

It is common for bandeaus or compression straps to be applied to the upper part of the chest where the pectoral muscle is after surgery. We use if in our patients to help the muscle relax. In our use we suggest wearing if for 2 weeks pretty much all of the time, then next 2 weeks for about 8 hours a day and then stop. In women that have had children before, the length of time is usually shorter as their muscles relax sooner. I see no advantage to using it for 6 months as the pocket gets pretty much set in the first 1-2 months.

Julio Garcia, MD

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD