How Long Should Bandages Stay on After Breast Aug?

I had my surgery a week ago. I was suppose to get my bandages off today and he changed the date till next week. 2 weeks seems a bit long to have bandages on since everything I read says people were taking showers a coupld days after.

Bandages after Breast Augmentation Surgery?

+1

Keep in mind, that there are many different ways of handling “bandages” after plastic surgical procedures;  there is no right way. Disregard the “I do it this way” responses and follow your own plastic surgeon's recommendations.

Bandages After Breast Augmentation #breastimplants

+1

There is no set time. Usually it is personal preference by the surgeon. I use medical glue when possible and that stays on for weeks. If I use steri strips and sometimes I have them there for weeks. Just talk to you surgeon.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Bandages after breast augmentation

+1

I don't use any post-operative bandage other than a small amount of skin glue.  I usually recommend a shower at 48 hours post op.  I would discuss your concerns with your doctor.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Communicate with your surgeon

+1

and ask when you dressings can be removed.  But in most practices 24-36 hours is quite adequate.  But when this early in your recovery, check with your surgeon for confirmation of what you read here.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast augmentation and bandages

+1

Each surgeon is a bit different in terms of dressings. For my breast augmentations I usually just place some steri-strips over the incisions and a ligth gauze over the strips. The patients were a soft sports bra and can take the dressings off the next day and shower as they want.

Dressing Changes Afer Breast Augmentation

+1

I typically like to remove the dressings in 48 to 72 hours.  This allows me to evaluate the incision, allows the patient to shower and to have the patient start to place fresh dressings daily.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

When to change bandages following a breast augmentation

+1

Every plastic surgeon has his own post operative routines.  Two weeks does seem excessive and there is probably no reason why you can not remove the bandages at this point.   If you want to remove them then call the office for advice.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to answer this question for you.  

No consensus

+1

There are no studies with thousands of woman to demonstrate if one dressing is better than another or what duration yields the best results. This is why plastic surgeons develop their own approach that works for them based on their patient population and results. Call and ask your surgeon, but the real answer is that it probably doesn't matter.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Bandages after breast augmentation

+1

There is no right answer to "how long do bandages stay on after breast augmentation"? Each surgeon has different techniques and protocols. I, for example, perform about 5 breast augmentations per week and use a rapid-recovery technique that uses NO bandages.  You should follow your surgeon's advice and I am sure they can get you in sooner if you have concerns.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Bandages post BA

+1

Some surgeon like to leave bandages like steri strips on for a longer time to improve the appearance of a scar due to the pressure on the incision.  This may be your surgeon's strategy.  

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon