150cc HP For My Frame?

Hi, I am petite 5'1, 90lbs and barely fit into a 32AA bra. My PS has recommended I go with Silicone 150cc HP, inframmary incision, under the muscle. I emphasized that I was looking for a natural look, I just wanted to be able to fill out my bras. He said this would bring me to a B. However my concern is that I have heard the profile HP is considered the "fake look". Is this true?

Implant Selection Process

+1

A high profile only looks fake if it is placed over the muscle or too wide for a given base diameter.   In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

150 cc breast implants

+1

I strongly recommend that you try the breast implant sizes on in your plastic surgeon's office.  150 cc is a very small implant and even in a petite woman is unlikely to make most patients happy with the result.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

150cc

+1

Hello there 

Selection of implant size and shape is a complex process and takes up much of your first consultation . You are petite and 150cc is a smaller size and should get the conservative increase in size that you requested , but your surgeon is in the best position to decide this as he/she has examined you and spoken with you .

The final breast shape is a combination of your shape and a contribution from the implant . Generally the implant has more influence when you are petite and the implant is large . Anatomical implants tend to look a bit more natural and round implants look more round . Higher projection round implants in particular look more round , but it may be you have a narrow breast diameter or a breast shape that will suit this implant . In any event an implant of 150cc size is unlikely to look dramatically round even in a slim lass like your self .

If you are in doubt return for further discussion with your surgeon or get a second opinion .

All the best 

Terrence Scamp 

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Brisbane Plastic Surgeon

150cc HP implants are too narrow and will look bad!

+1

I agree with Dr. Feldman's answer, who succinctly described what I feel you will find with these implants--you will have a gaping wide-cleavage unnatural look with globular "Baywatch coconut" breasts that look decidedly "fake." (They won't be too big, which is one definition of "fake," but they will still be terrible-looking!)

150cc will add less than 1 cup size to whatever breast volume you presently have (by your description that is not much), and the extremely narrow base diameter of these HP implants is too narrow even for your petite frame and naturally smaller breasts.

I also wholeheartedly recommend a second or third consultation with other ABPS-certified plastic surgeons who do lots of breast surgery. You should also bring goal photographs (look at the before and after photographs of many of our websites) of breast "looks" that you find attractive, and you should also try on various implant sizes in a bra and stretchy top to see what looks good. Don't even look at the implant sizes until you decide what looks good to you. Then trust your surgeon to add about 10% more than the selected volume to account for the submuscular compression of the implants that make them look "smaller" than your sizing choice. The profile should be based on your breast base measurements (we all do this somewhat differently, since the breast does not have a "sharp" beginning and end), and should be the lowest profile (widest appropriate width) to give you the nicest cleavage. At this small end of the implant size scale, you will require moderate profile implants for the best "fit."

Truly, size choice is critical, since you really only want to do this once! I rarely use implants below 250cc (even in tiny patients such as you who want a "natural look"), and in this small of implant volume would need to use moderate profile to get adequate width to properly fill the breast base and avoid Grand Canyon cleavage. 150cc HP implants are way too narrow, even for you! I think they may be too small as well, but this is only speculation without a physical examination and personal consultation. Many plastic surgeons do this at no charge, as I do.

Surgeons who "always" use HP implants (usually because they say HP gives better upper pole fullness) are NOT selecting implants on the basis of individual patient goals and anatomy, but simply using a "formula" or following a "habit" or routine. NOT GOOD.

HP is not "fake" in and of itself. But HP implants are very narrow, especially the 150cc ones, and you will likely not like the look they provide. Get more opinions in person, please! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

IMPLANT SIZE

+1

When you have very little breast tissue as is the case when your a AA, your breast will take on the shape of the implant.  This means your breasts will appear round.  Another option is the Natrelle 410 anatomic form-stable gel implants.  It is difficult to provide specific recommendations without photos, measurements and an examination.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

150cc HP For My Frame?

+1

It's difficult to make this assessment via this forum.  In general, 150 cc is probably a good size for you, but that depends on how much excess skin you have (among other issues).  In general, a high profile implant produces somewhat more of a "shelf" than a moderate plus implant of the same size and I generally recommend the moderate plus profile largely for that reason.  Each case is unique, however, and this is something you'll have to go over with your own PS.  You can show him or her some photos to get an idea of what you'd like, but then you have to try to assess how realistic your surgeon thinks it is to achieve that, and then how comfortable you are with proceeding.  It may not be possible to do what you want, and that is an important part of the informed consent process.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

WAY TOO NARROW!

+1

I highly doubt you have a 9.0cm BW. These implants are likely far too narrow, and being HP will give you a very "stuck or bolt on" look with a very large gaping clevage. I would strongly recommend a moderate profile, and as thin as you are, would give strong consideration to silicone. I would recommend a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

HP 150cc breast implant

+1

Even at 5' 1" the HP in such a small volume as the 150cc is rather narrow and round. Our guess is that a moderate profile implant in a larger volume will give a better match to the skin envelope and give a more natural breast. But augmentation is art and science, so opinions will vary. Make sure your surgeon knows what your 'B' is to look like.

Avoiding the

+1

Thank you for this great question. There are criteria that should be followed when choosing breast implants. With regard to the profile of the implant, an important consideration is the laxity of the skin envelope. One way to assess this is to measure the distance from the nipple to the inframammary fold under no stretch versus under maximal stretch. If this difference is great (i.e. the skin is very lax), then a high profile implant may be appropriate to fill out the skin envelope and give a nice shape. If this difference is short (i.e. the skin is tight), then a high profile implant will give a very unnatural shape and look. Best of luck.

Tamir Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

High profile implants can look somewhat globular after breast augmentation.

+1

Breast implants are manufactured in different profiles. The highest profile as the shortest diameter relative to the volume. In my opinion, they can sometimes look somewhat globular relative to the other profiles. I would emphasize that this is only personal opinion.