How Long to Wait to Have Sex After Breast Augmentation?

Sex after breast augmentation

+4
Dear Jasmine, 
Most surgeons will tell you to wait at least 2 weeks.  The reason is that we don't want your blood pressure rising too much as that can lead to a blood collection around the implant called a hematoma. So you should also avoid all other activities that raise your blood pressure, like working out, or getting overly excited.  After 2 weeks, you should approach it carefully and avoid movements that can cause you or your partner to dislodge the placement of the implant for about 6 weeks.  Of course it is always best to follow the advice of your plastic surgeon as each has different protocols and reasons for them based on your case.  Best wishes. 

Sex after breast augmentation? Like Porcupines!

+3

Well there is sex, and then as Bill Clinton taught us, there is sex.   I suppose its ok to have sex very early....on the same day as surgery if you wish....but be wise about it.   This question reminds me of another question......How do porcupines have sex.......?    Answer......very carefully!   So....very carefully.   Since sex can raise the blood pressure and elevated blood pressure can increase the risk of bleeding , I suppose one should wait a week or 10 days.   But we are right back to the adage that there is sex and then there is sex.   Certainly for the first ten days keep it pretty dull!   Best of luck and be careful.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Wait two weeks for sex, not matter what he says!

+3

The increase heart rate, blood pressure and dilation of blood vessels that accompany sex or other "activities" are risky in the first two weeks after this surgery.  You don't want to endanger a great result with impatience.  

Ritu Chopra, MD

Sex after breast augmentation surgery

+3

The decision to have plastic surgery is a major investment of time and emotion and as such you want to do everything possible to ensure the best possible outcome.  The two things of greatest concern after breast augmentation are wound disruption and bleeding, both of which may occur secondary to physical activity, including sex.  I advise my patients, that gentle sex, avoiding manipulation of the breasts, is possible at 4 weeks following breast augmentation and that they may return to full physical activity at  6 weeks.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

+2

+1 Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to specific instructions in regards to returning to activities. Generally speaking, best  to limit strenuous activity for at least 2 weeks after breast   augmentation surgery, assuming you are doing well and there have been no complications.  Care should be taken during the first one to two weeks after surgery not to allow for elevation of heart rate, blood pressure, and/or direct trauma/contact to the chest wall. Again, generally speaking, most my patients are able to return to lower body exercise at the 1 to 2 week post operative mark, wait to lift/run for about 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. Swimming may have to wait a similar amount of time. Other exercises, involving the pectoralis major muscles, may resume several months down the line, if not longer. Again, address your specific questions/concerns to your plastic surgeon, who knows your situation best, and is ultimately responsible for your care. Best wishes.

How long to avod sex after a breast augmentation

+2
That is a difficult question to was it depends greatly on what you are going to be doing. We suggest your partner not squeezing the breast too firmly for 2-4 weeks and we advise against getting your blood pressure elevated for at least 2 weeks. We allow our patients to get back to low level cardio in 2 weeks as long as there is no bouncing and full activity at the gym after 4 weeks, so figure out what level of intensity of sex you mean compared to a gym work out and then it will be somewhere between the 2 and 4 weeks periond.

Julio Garcia, MD

Sex after breast augmentation

+2
Wait at least two weeks- getting your body excited and worked up increases your bleeding risk right after surgery. After two weeks, listen to your body - sex is ok, but avoid a lot of manipulation of the implants (remember your new breasts are still healing). After four to six weeks, enjoy! Best wishes.

Grant Stevens, MD

Waiting is a good thing

+2
You've spent all this money on getting your brand new breasts, don't mess it up by being impatient.  You want to avoid anything that is going to raise your blood pressure and heart rate for two weeks.  You want to avoid any physical activity that can dislodge your breast implants during the first 6 weeks

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Sex and Surgery

+2

It is not recommended to raise your blood pressure or heart rate significantly for 2 weeks after surgery.  At that time, it is up to the individual when to resume sexual activity.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Sex after getting breast implants

+1
I tell my patients that they should abstain for a full week. That's because sexual activity could raise your blood pressure and cause bleeding around the implants. At the first postoperative visit, I examine them
to make sure they are healing well before I give them the go-ahead.

It’s best to wait at least three weeks – and listen to your body – before a partner squeezes your breasts. You might feel sore or uncomfortable, but it won’t harm your implants.

Ted Eisenberg, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon