How Long After my Augmentation Before I Can Drive a Car (Local Errands, Not a Long Trip)?

I had BA three days ago, and feel fortunate -- I have not needed any painkillers of any kind, and feel great. Quite perky and still swollen, but virtually pain free. I will follow doctors advice and refrain from exercise for three weeks (which will be hard!!), but since I feel so good, and have full range of motion in my arms without any pain, when can I drive my car for short errands? Many thanks.

Driving after a Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for the question.

In general, I have my patients wait no less than 7 days before I allow them to drive. At that time they must be off narcotic pain medications as well as any other medications which may impair their driving. I recommend you follow up with your surgeon and follow his/her recommendations on this matter.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Car driving after augmentation

I usually allow patients to drive about 10 days to two weeks after augmentation. Sudden jerky movements can cause problems.

Driving after breast augmenation

I tell my patients that they can start driving a car when they are off of all pain killers and they feel comfortable enough to turn and look behind themselves without any problems. Most patients can do that in 5-7 days after surgery. Be careful not to try and drive too early and wind up in an accident because you can't move and turn like you need to and definitely, do not drive while taking pain medication.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Driving after a BA

You are healing well!  If you are not taking narcotics and can move your arms easily I would allow you to drive short distances at 5 days.  You must be able to make sudden movements if necessary so any pain that would restrict this should warn you to wait.  I tell patients to wait 5-7 days but truthfully most of them don't.  I have never had anyone come to harm.  The narcotics are the tipping point in my opinion.  If you are taking them during the day, don't drive no matter how long it has been since your surgery.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Driving After a Breast Augmentation

Thank you for the question. It is safe to drive after you are fully off your pain medications as it is very dangerous to operate a vehicle with narcotics in your system and when you can react to traffic swiftly. Often you are still sore and think you can react but are very slow. A safe time frame could be anywhere between one to two weeks after surgery. It is very important to consult with your physician. I hope this has helped.

Rady Rahban, MD

Driving Following Breast Augmentation

Patients are eager to return to their normal routine as soon as possible following breast augmentation. The vast majority of patients are able to resume driving in 5 to 7 days following this procedure. At this time, the majority of patients are no longer taking narcotics for pain relief. When patients are still taking narcotics, resumption of driving should be delayed. It’s important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon because protocols vary from surgeon to surgeon.

A week

A week should give you enough time to recover enough before you start driving again. Just make sure you don't strain yourself when opening or closing the car door. 

Driving post Breast Augmentation

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Generally, you can begin light activity such as driving 5 to 7 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can begin as soon as 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you are healing. Consult with your surgeon and follow his or her instruction as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

How long after an augmentation before I can drive a car?

Thank you for the question! Certainly, discuss this with your plastic surgeon, as answers will vary among surgeons. I typically say that whenever you are not taking narcotic pain medications and when you feel like you are strong enough to turn the steering wheel suddenly if needed, then you may resume driving. If you meet those requirements, take short trips around your block with somebody and see how you do. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Driving and Breast Augmentation

I generally let my Breast Augmentation patients drive within four days if they are off narcotics which is common after a quick recovery stretching regimen. Every surgeon is different and he may ask you to wait longer.

Richard Linderman, MD