How Long After my Augmentation Before I Can Drive a Car (Local Errands, Not a Long Trip)?

I had BA three days ago, and feel fortunate -- I have not needed any painkillers of any kind, and feel great. Quite perky and still swollen, but virtually pain free. I will follow doctors advice and refrain from exercise for three weeks (which will be hard!!), but since I feel so good, and have full range of motion in my arms without any pain, when can I drive my car for short errands? Many thanks.

Car driving after augmentation

+3

I usually allow patients to drive about 10 days to two weeks after augmentation. Sudden jerky movements can cause problems.

Driving after a Breast Augmentation

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

In general, I have my patients wait no less than 7 days before I allow them to drive. At that time they must be off narcotic pain medications as well as any other medications which may impair their driving. I recommend you follow up with your surgeon and follow his/her recommendations on this matter.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

How long after an augmentation before I can drive a car?

+1
Thank you for the question! Certainly, discuss this with your plastic surgeon, as answers will vary among surgeons. I typically say that whenever you are not taking narcotic pain medications and when you feel like you are strong enough to turn the steering wheel suddenly if needed, then you may resume driving. If you meet those requirements, take short trips around your block with somebody and see how you do. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Driving after breast augmenation

+1

I tell my patients that they can start driving a car when they are off of all pain killers and they feel comfortable enough to turn and look behind themselves without any problems. Most patients can do that in 5-7 days after surgery. Be careful not to try and drive too early and wind up in an accident because you can't move and turn like you need to and definitely, do not drive while taking pain medication.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Driving and Breast Augmentation

+1

I generally let my Breast Augmentation patients drive within four days if they are off narcotics which is common after a quick recovery stretching regimen. Every surgeon is different and he may ask you to wait longer.

Richard Linderman, MD

Driving After Breast Augmentation

+1

I recommend asking your plastic surgeon this question. My main criterion for driving is for my patient to be off of narcotic pain medication. Pain is very subjective and every patient has a different pain threshold so slapping a 5 day or 7 day restriction on driving doesn't make a lot of common sense.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Driving after Breast Augmentation

+1

Congrats on your recovery.  Ask your surgeon about his/her recommendations for local driving. I generally clear my patients to drive locally once they are no longer needed pain pills.  

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Driving after Breast augmentation

+1

I am glad that you are doing so well after breast augmentation!  For my patients, I will allow them to drive (short distance)  5 days after breast augmentation as long as they are not on narcotic pain medication.

Sugene Kim, MD

Driving after breast augmentation varies from patient to patient

+1

Driving after breast augmentation is going to vary from patient to patient however I have my patients get back to normal activity as soon as possible. You can drive a car as soon as you are comfortable doing so and are not on medications that affect her judgment.

George Weston, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

What is the recommended amount of time to wait to driving short trips following breast augmentation surgery

+1

There is such a wide range of recommendations as to when you can and should drive on short trips following your breast augmentation surgery. You should consult your plastic surgeon for his specific recommendations as he/she performed your surgery. In general, you should be off of narcotics and other medication that can impair your judgment and also be able to move around without significant limitations.

My patients are instructed to wait at least 3 - 5 days before driving short distances though this does vary among individuals. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD