5'8", 136lb, Under Muscle - 330cc vs. 360cc?

i like the look of 330 cc.. i am 5 ft 8 136 lbs but my surgeon tells me to go 360 because after going under breast muscle i will have the 330 look..? or will i be to big and look fake?

Should you or your plastic surgeon make the final determination on implant size?

+2

The difference in size is not much - one ounce - but it still can result in some differences of appearance though not extremely major. You want to make absolutely sure that your plastic surgeon understands the look that you want before proceding. My recommendation would be to leave it up to his/her judgement at the time of surgery as many factors can affect the final appearance. You don't want to settle for a lesser result just because you insisted on a particular size that may not give you the ultimate result that you wanted and this can often be determined during surgery.

For my patients, once I really feel that I have a good grasp on what they are trying to obtain, I tell them that I will ultimately make the final decision during surgery as to which size and configuration implant that I will insert. If there is any doubt, I will go with the larger size. Virtually every woman would rather be a little bigger than a little smaller and it will usually prevent disappointment later on.

Implant Selection Process

+1

I agree with your surgeon that once under your muscle, the 360cc implant will more closely match the 330 cc sizer.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant sizing

+1

t is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

330 vs. 360cc implant?

+1

30 cc is a very subtle difference which you will likely be unable to appreciate.  With the patient's permission, I generally order a range of implants, one above and below the patient's selection, and confirm that the size the patient chose looks the best at the time of surgery, based on the patient's expressed wishes.  Make sure your doctor has a true sense of what you want, and then I would leave it up to his or her judgment.  30 cc is not really a significant difference!    

B. Aviva Preminger, MD

30cc is a very tiny amount.

+1

30ccs is a very tiny measurement.  Your PS is recommending going a little bigger than 300 because when placed under the muscle, you loose some of the size. 

Implants under the pectoral muscle will look slightly smaller

+1

Generally speaking, if you like the look of a 330cc implant, you may need a slightly larger implant to achieve that look at the time of surgery. I recommend trying on several sizes before committing but 360cc sounds like a reasonable option as long as you have enough soft tissue/breast tissue to prevent rippling.  You can also consider the option of silicone implants to minimize rippling or wrinkling.

I use 3D imaging to assist in the sizing process which eliminates any guesswork.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

330 or 360cc?

+1

I always suggest that if a patient is having difficulty choosing between two sizes, to go with the larger implant.

In any event 30cc is about an ounce - not much to worry about.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Selecting the best implant for you

+1

First, 30cc will not be a big difference in outcome.   In your case, I would try implant sizers in your plastic surgeon's office to see what size you like best.  And talk with your surgeon to finalize your choice.  

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and we can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Will a 30 cc difference make a big difference?

+1

30 cc is actually a very small different and most surgeons will adjust you upwards following sizing to account for placement beneath the muscle.  That being said, the size is probably very appropriate for you.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices

+1

A thirty cc difference in implants will not make a big difference.  Go with either one and you probably will be happy.