How Long Does Abdominal Swelling Last After Breast Augmentation?

Before surgery I worked hard to get defined abs so my new breast would look good, but I am 7 days post op and my mid section is puffy looking! I have been having regular bowel movements, so I know that is not the case... Any ideas low long this lasts?

Answer to RealSelf.com question regarding abdominal swelling after breast augmentation

+5

The fluid and swelling in the abdomen after breast augmentation is not unusual.  With gravity it will slowly move down through your "tissue planes" and subside over the next week or two.  Be patient and look forward to the coming improvement.  The swelling in your breasts will take longer to subside.  Enjoy the new change.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal swelling after a BA

+3

The swelling in your breasts can move down into the abdominal area with gravity although usually it is not much.  It will go away over the next few weeks.  Every day should be better.  Sometimes you can feel crackling in your tissues just below your breasts which is just air.  That will go away too.  Just be patient; it's only been a week.  Give it another two and you will see a big difference.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Abdominal Swelling Following Breast Augmentation

+2

Patients undergoing breast augmentation can anticipate significant swelling in the immediate post-operative period. This swelling not only affects the breast, but may also affect the surrounding areas as well. In some cases, swelling may dramatically impact the upper abdomen. This occurs for a variety of reasons, including the creation of the lower breast pocket and gravity.

This swelling resolves quickly with the vast majority being gone in about three weeks. Almost all of the visible swelling is gone in four to six weeks, but small amounts of residual swelling may be present for up to three to four months following surgery.

Compression bras and dressings are frequently used following breast augmentation to minimize swelling. Swelling can add to a patient’s post-operative discomfort. It can also increase anxiety regarding breast size immediately after surgery.

For these reasons, we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication regarding this topic immediately following surgery. In this situation, a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a more comfortable experience. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after breast augmentation.

+2

Swelling in the upper abdomen following breast augmentation is a temporary issue. The swelling should dissipate in a matter of 3 or 4 weeks.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Healing after Breast Augmentation

+2

swelling under the abdominal skin can occur with gravity and fluid shifts from the breasts and usually resolve in 2-4 weeks..  you may tray a girdle or abdominal binder.

simethicone for gas will also help flatten your tummmy

Swelling after breast augmentation

+2

Areas around the augmentation may become swollen after breast augmentation. The majority of the swelling should come down within 4-6 weeks.

Abdominal swelling after breast augmentation

+2

Since you are only  7 days out of breast augmentation surgery  and not having regular bowel  movements, the "puffy"  appearance of your abdomen is likely to  be fluid that has tracked down from the chest area. This will likely dissipate within the next week. You may find that as you become more active the fluid  will dissipate quickly.

Hopefully,  before too long you will be pleased with the results of your breast surgery  in combination with your “defined abs".

Swelling is normal

+1
This is moderately common, and will not affect your ultimate outcome.  It will resolve on its own in a couple of weeks in most patients.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Upper abdominal swelling

+1
Swelling may occur in the upper abdomen after any breast surgery.  You can wear a panty girdle to help minimize the swelling. It will slowly subside.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Midsection swelling after breast augmentation

+1
Swelling after breast augmentation generally lasts a couple of weeks. You will find that the swelling in your midsection resolves sooner than in your breasts. You can help by drinking plenty of water and going to the washroom frequently. You should also walk leisurely around to encourage 

Jerome Edelstein, MD