Is It Normal to Have Breast Pain 3 Months After Surgery? I Feel Burning and Needles

i had surgery 3 months ago and i have pain on my breast more like a burning or like a needle pocking me is the normal?

Normal Post -OP Healing

+2

The breast are still healing.  The nerves sometimes are stretched with cause temporary damage.The nerves heal as a sign of burning and tingling,\.  This is a good thing and much better than loose of sensation.

Burning and needle sensation after breast surgery

+2

Hi Isabella,

What you are describing is nerve pain. Many times with breast surgery (augmentation or reduction) nerves are inadvertently damaged. This may be through cutting, post op swelling (compression or stretching) or even blunt trauma (bruising of the nerve). All these are the different ways sensory nerves can be affected during surgery. In most cases, the injured nerve will heal itself. This takes time, sometimes as long as a year. So, please be patient and make your PS aware of this problem so that he can address it if necessary. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation healing

+1

pain is always a difficult issue..  healing continues for months.. nerves sometimes for 1-2 years

this will generally improve..   symptoms can be treated with anti inflamatories  like advil ,  celebrex.

steroids can be used such as a medrol dospak

neurontin and other meds for chronic pain exist but are seldom necessary

+1

You are describing sensations that are typical of nerve recovery after breast augmentation.

I suggest you see your surgeon who will recommend desensitization exercises. These will help clear up the unpleasant sensations more quickly.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Post-op breast pain is not uncommon.

+1

It is not uncommon to have weird sensations in the breast months after surgery.  What you describe sounds like nerve related pains that typically occur as the sensory nerves come back to life after being stretched during breast surgery.  Anti-inflammatory meds like Ibuprofen, etc. can help calm some of the symptoms down.  Ask your surgeon for options to help reduce your worry.

Warmest regards,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Pain

+1

It is normal to experience some burning, needling pain as the nerves regenerate.  I recommend Vit B6 100 mg three times per day to help during this period of healing. 

Scott W. Harris, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Burning pain after breast surgery

+1

Shooting or burning pain after breast surgery is not uncommon. In fact in my experience oversensitivity is more common than loss of sensation. This will most likely resolve over the next few weeks to months.

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Burning sensation

+1

SOmetiems as the body heals and the nerves that may have been disrupted are regenerating, you  may have sensations of buring or tingling. I would suggest yoou speak with your doctor and see him for evaluation.

Pain after breast augmentation

+1
Although not "normal," localized paresthesias (abnormal sensations such as pins & needles, burning, numbness, etc.) after augmentation are not uncommon. Repositioning of nerves by the implant, stretching nerves, and moving skin, fat, muscle, and connective tissue may cause these abnormal sensations. Often, they resolve over time. If not, investigate with your surgeon to be sure the implants are OK. There are specific treatments possible, depending on the exact nature of your discomfort, if it persists.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast Pain 3 months after BA

+1

The main sensory nerves to the breasts come out between the ribs on the sides of your chest.  They get stretched over the implant and go into "shock" which is why your sensation may have been decreased right after surgery.  As the nerves come back to life you will feel intermittent burning and electrical type pains.  It's a sign that the nerves weren't cut and the sensation is returning.  Nipple hypersensitivity is often the first sign.  I would say it was a year or so before I realized that those pains were gone after my breast augmentations.  They just got further and further apart.  If it is really bothering you there are medicatiions that can be tried.  Sometimes a short course of steroids helps.  Some surgeons try Elavil.  Cymbalta is a good one and in extreme cases Lyrica has been used.  Only you can decided how much it really interferes with your life and your surgeon will help you. The pain should go away in time.  It may take a few more months.  Just be patient.

Lori H. Saltz, MD