Can Liposuction Be Done Through a C-sect Scar Already Present

Liposuction Can Be Done Through a C-sect or other Scar

+1

Existing scars if close to an area for liposuction are preferentially used so as not to cause additional scaring.  I also like to place them at the edge of a tattoo or in an existing scar such as a  C-Section or appendectomy, or mole removal scar) so that they are hidden, or use the open area from an additional surgery I may be doing. For example, during a tummy tuck incisions are made to do liposuction in the area of redundant skin to be removed so that there are no extra scars.
Over the years the number of  incision sites have decreased  without compromise of results. There is no absolute number of incisions that need to be made - just enough to give the best result which will vary from plastic surgeon to plastic surgeon. Incisions sites for liposuction are typically very small and made in stealth areas - that is hidden as much as possible. For example inside the belly button, umbilicus, to approach the upper and lower abdomen, just at the pubic hair line for the lower tummy and pubis area, in the groin crease for the inside of the thighs (medial thighs), at the gluteal, buttock, crease for the lower back, in the breast crease for the fat beneath your arm (lateral chest wall), in the crease below your chin for liposuction of the neck.

Access point for liposuction

+1

If the surgeon can access the areas that require treatment through an incision in a previous scar, it can be done safely.

Julio Garcia, MD

Liposuction

+1

Liposuction can be performed through an old c-section scar. Of course, an exam is necessary to confirm that there are no hernias.  Liposuction is performed through multiple small incisions that are about  0.5- 1 cm long at most.

Liposuction via C-Section scar

+1

Abdominal liposuction can be performed through the C-section scar.  If you also need liposuction of the flanks or sides, sometimes additional, very small incisions will need to be made to achieve the best result.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposuction is really almost scarless surgery.

+1

Hi.

Liposuction of the abdomen can certainly be done through a C-section scar.  We usually go in through the belly button and use tumescent liposuction, which has the best record of success and safety.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction and C-section Scars

+1

Liposuction can be done through and around and under a c sec scar to free it up and make it look better.  If you can avoid general anesthesia and laser liposuctions then you may get better results since under tumescent local anesthesia with the micro canulas, you can stand up and sit up and see how the scar and the whole area looks to fine tune it to get the best results.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction via previous C section Scar?

+1

Yes, liposuction surgery can be done through a previous C-section scar. Other scars  present may also be used. The surgeon must be careful to make sure there are no hernias associated with the scars prior to using them for the liposuction surgery.

Sometimes, it is also possible to “hide” tummy tuck incisions adjacent to tattoos,  natural folds or moles.

Liposuction via C-section Scar

+1

Dear Crutchster1:

Thank you for the question. Liposuction can be performed through just about any scar, including the C-section scar. This approach allows access to the abdominal wall, flanks and thigh fat. Additional small scars may or may not be necessary to get the best result possible.

This is true in other areas of the body too. Often people seeking liposuction of the neck have a scar under the jaw from childhood.  I can use this  for their liposuction. See Video.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Yes

+1

Yes i have performed liposuction thru a C section scar many times.  Most patients want me to revise the scar as well.   Easy enough to do . 

Make sure you go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon!

Good luck, 

Andrew Cohen, M.D. 

Andrew T. Cohen, MD