My body holds water. Is it o.k. to drink a lot after liposuction? How soon should I wear the garment?

Drinking Water After Liposuction and Wearing the Compression Garment

+1

Drinking clear liquids after liposuction will help hydration status and is fine.  I typically recommend compression garments for the first 4 to 6 weeks, but you should follow the recommendations of your plastic surgeon.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Drinking after liposuction

+1

As long as you are asking about drinking non-alcoholic fluids after liposuction, the answer is yes, it's ok to stay well hydrated.  If you have medical issues with fluid retention you should check in with your general physician to see if any of your medications should be altered around the time of your surgery.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Lipo

+1

I recommend to my patients to stay well hydrated after liposuction. The excess will be removed by the body

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Water and liposuction

+1

It is always a good idea to stay well hydrated after a surgical procedure because the body tends to retain fluid and what is called "third space" it by pulling it out of your bloodstream.

Consumption of salt not consumption of water aggravates postoperative swelling.

+1

The sodium in salt is the element that causes retention of total body water, postoperative swelling. Water by itself does not cause swelling. Drink as much water as you wish.