Skin Still Burning 5 Months After Liposuction?

I had liposuction 5 months ago and my skin is still burning in one area (inner thigh on one leg). I had multiple sites lipo'd, but the rest of my body is fine. I've called the doctor's office several times to see if this is normal. The answer is always yes, it is normal. The doctor never calls back but lets the office coordinator answer my questions. I would like an answer from a doctor. My question is....IS it really normal to experience this after 5 months?

Burning 5 Months after Liposuction

+1

Burning 5 months after liposuction may not be normal, but this is not unexpected.  I think your doctor is being honest, and there is not a surgical option to consider at this point.  If this type of pain is affecting your quality of life, there are medications that can help with neuropathic pain.  Kenneth Hughes, MD liposuction Los Angeles, CA

Burnung several months after liposuction, is it normal?

+1

It is unusual to get this type of long term burning after traditional tumescent liposuction as the nerves are traumatized but preserved. I could see this type of long term issues happening after laser or ultrasonic liposuction. There are neuropathic pains that can develop after any type of surgery in which case you need to consult a pain specialist.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Burning 5 months after liposuction

+1

You may have reflex sympathetic dystrophy from the procedure which can lead to burning of an area innervated by sensory nerves that may have been impacted by the surgery. It might be good to go to a pain specialist.

Burning after lipo can happen but should be evaluated

+1

Burning and strange sensations can occur after liposuction and can last for many months. This is certainly not "normal" but it will most likely get better and not cause a real problem for you after it goes away. My bigger concern is that you have not had a response from your surgeon. Having your questions answered by the coordinator and never the doctor is in my opinion unacceptable. your care should continue well after your surgery is over. You should make an appointment to see your surgeon and discuss your concerns with him or her in person.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Burning sensations after liposuction

+1

Even some longer term burning sensations can be normal after liposuction- I anticipate this will slowly resolve over time... be patient!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Burning pain after liposuction

+1

Hi Gothamgirl

Burning pain, especially 5 months after liposuction, is uncommon but can happen. It is less likely with traditional liposuction, but more likely with any liposuction that uses external energy such as the ultrasound in VASER.

Seeing a pain specialist might be a good step. The other things that will help are encouraging any scarring around the local nerves to break down by massaging the area - this will also help the local nerves by providing 'normal' sensations for them to send back to the brain. Anti-inflammatories (as long as you don't get stomach ulcers or irritation from them) will be useful as well.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon