Swollen After Lipo on Legs

I had liposuction on my legs (inner thighs, outer thighs, knees, calve, ankles. My weigh before surgery, 121 lb, 5'6'. After surgery my weight 130 pounds although my hips were noticeable slimmer (my legs were the same size I had before). Now, one week after surgery, I am double my size and weigh 125. I am extremely swollen and deformed. When will I be able to see results? It seems I'll be worst than before!!

Swelling after liposuction

In general there is 2.2 pounds per liter of fat removed.    Even at 4 weeks you do have some swelling present. In general you are 50% of the way there at 6 weeks and 80% at 3 months.  Re-evaluate at 6 months and decide if you need additional liposuction.

Liposuction on the legs causes much swelling

swelling on the legs and ankles and calves after liposuction is significant and prolonged. compression garments should be measured. Leg elevation helps periodically. the swelling you notice is temporary but make sure you follow up with your surgeon.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after liposuction

Liposuction of the more dependent areas such as the legs, knees, calves, and ankles are more prone to swelling.  A good compression garment is essential.  Usually the swelling subsides over the first few months.

Swelling after liposuction

Swelling is normal after liposuction but its sounds like you may have a bit more than expected.  The key is to take it easy, dont do too much and to wear the compression garment for 6-8 weeks.  Even after then there is still some residual swelling that will resolve over the next 2-3 months.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Normal to Swell After Liposuction

It is normal to swell after liposuction.  There are alot of swelling changes that go on and it can take 6-8 weeks before all of that is resolved.  The goal is to wear some good compression garments to help smooth everything out over time.  Just be patient and you will get there.

Swollen legs after liposuction causing increased weight

Your body acts like a sponge after surgery due to the injury and inflammation. We call this "third spacing". It may take a minimum of 3 weeks for you to eliminate the fluid at which point your weight should diminish. IT is generally not advised to take water pills to expedite this process. As with any other complaint, you should discuss this with your treating physician to make sure there are no other causes for your observation.

Swelling can take time to resolve.

Patients undergoing liposuction will inevitably develop swelling following this procedure. During the procedure, the liposuction cannula is passed through the subcutaneous tissue. This causes disruption of the lymphatic channels and cellular injury, which causes swelling.

Significant improvement in swelling can be seen in the first three weeks following surgery, with the majority gone in about three months.Small amounts of swelling may persist up to a year following surgery.

We generally recommend the use of compression support garments for about three weeks following surgery.We also recommend a low-salt diet before and after liposuction.Exercise is usually started early in the post-operative period, and we want patients to ambulate as soon as possible following surgery.

Massage is also helpful.It decreases swelling by mobilizing retained fluid following liposuction.All of these steps help to minimize the duration of swelling following surgery.

In your case, your swelling is normal and should resolve with time.Compression, massage, ambulation and low-salt intake will hopefully help you get there sooner.

Edema Swelling after Liposuction on Legs

Swelling after Liposuction on Legs
Bruising and swelling are normal in the suctioned areas and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 months to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly the process will proceed. See your plastic surgeon and let them know any concerns you have.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Swollen after lipo on legs

You are fluid retaining. Return to the surgeon ASAP. There you can receive the proper medical supervision of this issue. Best of Luck.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Compression stockings needed for at least 6 weeks after liposuction of ankles.

Of course swelling is normal, but you seem to have too much. Prolongued compression is very important after liposuction of the lower legs.  (We hardly use it for other areas.)  See your surgeon, and keep your legs elevated.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)