Swollen After Lipo on Legs

I had liposuction on my legs (inner thighs, outer thighs, knees, calve, ankles. My weigh before surgery, 121 lb, 5'6'. After surgery my weight 130 pounds although my hips were noticeable slimmer (my legs were the same size I had before). Now, one week after surgery, I am double my size and weigh 125. I am extremely swollen and deformed. When will I be able to see results? It seems I'll be worst than before!!

Swelling after liposuction

+2

In general there is 2.2 pounds per liter of fat removed.    Even at 4 weeks you do have some swelling present. In general you are 50% of the way there at 6 weeks and 80% at 3 months.  Re-evaluate at 6 months and decide if you need additional liposuction.

Liposuction on the legs causes much swelling

+2

swelling on the legs and ankles and calves after liposuction is significant and prolonged. compression garments should be measured. Leg elevation helps periodically. the swelling you notice is temporary but make sure you follow up with your surgeon.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Swelling after liposuction

+2

Liposuction of the more dependent areas such as the legs, knees, calves, and ankles are more prone to swelling.  A good compression garment is essential.  Usually the swelling subsides over the first few months.

Swelling after liposuction

+2

Swelling is normal after liposuction but its sounds like you may have a bit more than expected.  The key is to take it easy, dont do too much and to wear the compression garment for 6-8 weeks.  Even after then there is still some residual swelling that will resolve over the next 2-3 months.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Normal to Swell After Liposuction

+2

It is normal to swell after liposuction.  There are alot of swelling changes that go on and it can take 6-8 weeks before all of that is resolved.  The goal is to wear some good compression garments to help smooth everything out over time.  Just be patient and you will get there.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Swollen legs after liposuction causing increased weight

+2

Your body acts like a sponge after surgery due to the injury and inflammation. We call this "third spacing". It may take a minimum of 3 weeks for you to eliminate the fluid at which point your weight should diminish. IT is generally not advised to take water pills to expedite this process. As with any other complaint, you should discuss this with your treating physician to make sure there are no other causes for your observation.

Swollen after lipo on legs

+1

You are fluid retaining. Return to the surgeon ASAP. There you can receive the proper medical supervision of this issue. Best of Luck.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Compression stockings needed for at least 6 weeks after liposuction of ankles.

+1

Hi.

Of course swelling is normal, but you seem to have too much. Prolongued compression is very important after liposuction of the lower legs.  (We hardly use it for other areas.)  See your surgeon, and keep your legs elevated.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)