Swelling and Loose Skin Around Belly Button After Liposuction

I am 7 weeks post op from Liposuction and scar revision. Swelling has gone down a lot, but I still have lots of swelling around belly button, and loose skin above belly button. When can I expect the swelling around the belly button to go down? Also, I still need the support of the compression garment. Is this normal at this point? I tried some control top spandex panties but after four hours I was ready to get back into the garment.

Swelling and loose skin after liposuction

+1
You can continue to wear your compression garment if you find that it's more comfortable. While it does seem a little long, every patient recovers at a different rate so you may be taking a little longer. 

Unfortunately, at this point loose skin may not improve however you should wait a couple of months before assessing results. Best of luck.

Liposuction result is final at 4 months.

+1

Hi.

Hopefully things will improve, but the loose skin is probably permanent.  For now, be optimistic.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

+1

The swelling will resolve with time and you should wait at least six months to asses the final results. If the swelling doesn't subside it could be because of under treatment around the belly button. the treatment would be additional liposuction in that area.

The loose skin if it persists would need to be treated by a Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) procedure.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Swelling from liposuction

+1

Lipo swelling can take 4-6 months before you see the final results. It is very normal to still need the support of the compression garment. More patients will wean themselves from the garment after 6 weeks. I suggest to begin sleeping with the garment.

Stephen A. Schantz, MD
Lexington Plastic Surgeon