Swelling and Bumpy Appearance After Neck Liposuction

I had neck Liposuction done 3 weeks ago (tumescent procedure), and although I see a major improvment with the double chin I had, it's still lumpy around that area and just a bit swollen. Because of this swelling/bumpy appearance, it still looks like I have a double chin (small one). Is this normal, and how long before I see the final results? About 2 days ago it looked like it was getting better, but today I see it a bit more swollen. Is that normal too?

Time for final result after Neck Liposuction

+3

Dear Saint,

Don't worry! You are only 3 weeks out from the procedure, and it is very normal to have asymmetric areas of "firmness" under the skin at this point. I warn all of my neck lipo patients that their neck skin will feel somewhat numb and "woody" (meaning firm) for several months after surgery. The liposuction removed fat from below the skin surface. No matter how good your surgeon was, there will always be small areas of bleeding (tiny hematomas that you won't see as bruising, but rather feel as lumps), and there will be some scar tissue wherever the cannula passed. If you watch the scars on the out side of your body, you will notice they get thicker for the first 2 months after surgery, and then will settle down. This is the normal healing process, and the same thing is happening on the inside. The tight scar tissue on the inside will contract (which improves the result), and then get soft. Those little bumps should reabsorb over several months. I tell all my patients not to judge the final result until 6 months have passed, at which time we get the post op photos.

Dr. B

Liposuction Results

+1
Maximum swelling occurs at about 3-5 days. Most of the swelling will be gone in 2-3 weeks, but some firmness can last 6-8 weeks. The final result can usually be assessed at 3-4 months. As the discomfort gradually subsides, you should begin gently massaging the treated areas. This is usually possible by day 7-10. Massage will help to decrease the swelling faster and to smooth out any irregularities. Massage each area in all directions using your hands, or, a soft paint roller. Massage should be done once or twice a day for up to 20 minutes.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Neck should not be lumpy after liposuction.

+1

Hi.

You might have a fluid collection (seroma) that needs to be aspirated, or irregular swelling that can respond to lymphatic drainage massage. Or you might need a touch up in a few months. But definitely see your surgeon promptly.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

You should massage and give it time

+1

There is still swelling in your result.  Time and gentle massage should help.  Go back to your doctor and have them discuss their recommendations with you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS