How to Speed Up Abdominal Liposuction Recovery?

I was wondering, what can I do to speed my abdominal liposuction recovery? I am 10 days out and still sore with bumps. I am doing some massage to keep scar tissue away. Any other ideas?

Tips on fast liposuction recovery

+3

Therapeutic or "lymphatic massage" may be helpful following Liposuction (Smart Lipo, Vaser, Tickle lipo, or conventional lipo) to minimize swelling but not all plastic surgeons recommend it nor is it Mandatory. Make sure your surgeon feels that you have healed sufficiently  and it is safe before doing this.  Endermologie is also very helpful after liposculpture/liposuction but again, not critical.  Although deep tissue massage following liposuction can aid in smoothing out  contour irregularities that invariably accompany this procedure it has limited effect on the final outcome and  is NOT mandatory. Some plastic surgeons recommend it to all  patients as they feel the edema resolves faster.  Ask your surgeon to show you or a significant other how to do this if cost is an issue. Typically they will have you massage toward areas of maximum lymphatic drainage ( for example groin or armpits) A low sodium diet and no heavy exercise especially lifting for the first 4-6 weeks may also be helpful.

Lipo recovery

+3

At only 10 days soreness and a few bumps are not abnormal.  The massage you are already doing is a good idea.  I like to use external ultrasound.  My patients also get a full course of endermologie after liposuction.  We generally start that at around 3 weeks post-op.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Surgical Recovery

+2

Dear Sscuzzseattle, there are many things you can do for recovery!! The massage is a good start. Following your surgeons post op instructions is very important. There are a variety of supplements that can aid healing including anti-oxidents and Arnica. If you have a good Naturopath or MD in alternative medicine there are intravenous therapies that can help. GentleWaves is a light therapy that can help with swelling and discomfort and bruising.

Topical creams such as Traumeel and lymphdiural also can help.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD