Will Stop Wearing Garment After Liposuction Ruin Results?

I had Liposuction for banana rolls 10 days ago and can no longer tolerate the girdle. If I go without it will it just prolong the eventual outcome of the lipo or will it ruin it?

What ever makes you feel better is important but the results will be the same with or without.

+9

When I first learned liposuction from Dr. Illoze while attending his first teaching course in Paris, I was taught that we had to tape the area that had been treated with liposuction with French Elastoplast. This was keep on for up to 10 days. People could not take showers, and many developed tape burns.

From this we went to pressure garments which answered the problem of showers and tape burns. After a while some one asked the question do you have to use these pressure garments. A study was done to see if there was any difference in the long term results if you wore the garments or not. It seems that most patients are more comfortable wearing the garments for 2-6 weeks but in the end the results are the same whether you wear the garments or not.

I don't think garments make any difference.

+6

Hi!

In New York City, we have stopped using garments for most liposuction patients. Several other experienced surgeons agree with me.

We found that if you wear a garment, you will look better at one week after surgery. But at 3 weeks, patients look the same whether or not they wore a garment.

So don't worry. You won't do any harm.

You may want to look at some of my other answers about this.

I recommend Comfortweave compression garments with Epifoam

+6

We have done studies on compression garments after liposuction and we have fought that they are quite helpful. I think that there is more rapid recovery from the swelling, bruising, edema with compression garments after liposuction. That being said all compression garments are not equal; there are different types of fabric weaves that can make a difference.

We prefer Comfortweave garments such as those made by Marena as opposed to most traditional liposuction garments that utilize a Powernet weave. We have found the Marena garments are cooler, they are easier to get on and off, they are more comfortable, and have reduced pain and itching when compared to the traditional garments. We scientifically studied these garments head to head and presented this work recently at the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery national meeting in 2009.

Also it is important that the garments are properly sized in each patient. If they are extremely uncomfortable, then either they are too tight and you need the next size, or it could be that that particular garment has a seam or edge that is putting extra pressure in the area that "needs to be compressed" after liposuction. When you have a banana roll liposuction just below the lower buttock crease, this is a very sensitive area. Any time I am really focally targeting a specific area like that, I use epifoam (silicone based foam) and lay this directly over the area and the garment goes on top of this. This "targets" the area of compression and is also a bit more comfortable.

I have my patients wear the initial compression garments 24 hours a day (except showering) for 3 weeks and then at night only for the next 3 weeks. In addition, it's extremely important to commence post lymphatic massage to the areas of liposuction after the initial 2 weeks to minimize scar tissue and depression lines that can be created by just compressing and not having a proper massage program as well.

I hope this helps!

Post-liposuction compression is important

+4

With liposuction, not only is fat being removed, there is a lot of trauma to the subdermal or subcutaneous layer of skin. During the healing process, fibrosis results in skin contraction. The compression garment helps to ensure maximum skin contraction and that the skin heals evenly, without unwanted folds or creases. I recommend compression for all my patients.

Long Island Dermatologist

The garment will help contract your skin evenly

+3

The compression garment is used to help control the swelling and keep the skin even while contracting. Think of the area that was liposuctioned as a sponge filled with water from swelling. If you don't wear the garment during the first 2 to 4 weeks, you may have faster swelling in one area as opposed to another and have a "dried sponge" irregularity and lumpiness. The garment helps to evenly squeeze the swelling and control how the skin shrinks.

Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Garments are important for some patients post liposuction

+2

Garments following liposuction seem to help minimize swelling and help with even flattening of the skin. However, the patient with excellent skin elasticity could 'get away' with not wearing garments. I do empasize the importance of post liposuction garments with my patients for 3 weeks following the procedure. I think it may help with marketing if you tell your patients or advertise that you do not use garments; however, most plastic surgeons will have their patients wear them.

Yes, it will change the outcome

+2

The compression garments are used for several purposes. First, after surgery the garment helps the edema resolve quicker. After this the garment helps guide the skin in its retraction. The underlying fat has been removed now the skin need encouragement to tighten up the remove the underlying void. This is why it needs to be worn for 6 weeks-this is the acute healing phase.

Not wearing it means that you will likely not achieve the best possible outcome. So if you want to spend all that money and not get the best result than go ahead and leave the garment off. On the other hand if you really want to look the best you can after surgery wear it.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

There are very few absolute answers in surgery

+2

With over 20 years of experience, I have come to realize that there are very few absolutes in surgery. Each patient, each doctor and each situation is unique. Although many surgeons have abandonded garments, I currently continue to use them at least in the immediate post operative period.

Patients like the secure feeling of the garment, and it also holds absorbent pads in place which are typically removed the next day. Without these pads, there is substantial leakage of fluid onto your bed linnens.

At 10 days, without having the benefit of knowing your personal medical situation, it is probable that the garment could be stopped. However, you should stick to your surgeon's recommendation who has more complete information about your case.

Garment wears depends on extent of liposuction and volume removed.

+2

The answer to this question is complex and is not always the same.

It clearly depends on the extent and volume of liposuction performed.

For modest amounts of fat removal, 10 days is most likely adequate if there is minimal bruising.

For more extensive areas of liposuction with considerable volumes of fat extraction, use of a garment likely is required for a longer period.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon to see if they will permit you to ease up on garment. wear.

Garments are important....

+2

Compression garments are very important. I emphasize the importance to my patients. There are many well made garments which are very comfortable. If the garment you are wearing is not comfortable you should check with your surgeon to see if you can try another style. There are many available online and a google search will find many results. I would find an alternative which is comfortable rather than going without to optimize your results. Good luck!

-Evan Sorokin MD

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon