Lipo for Male Breast Reduction - How Long Until Results Are Noticeable?

I am a 37-year-old male that had Smart Lipo with tumescent liposuction done on my abdomen and breasts 23 days ago. I immediately have noticed a difference in my abdomen but I am worried that my breasts are not going to be flat enough. Is it still too early for me to judge my results? Does it take the breast longer to go down than the immediate results I see in my stomach? My Doctor told me that I did not have much granular breast tissue.

GYnecomastia surgery - View Many Photos

Results should be evident soon after surgery. There may be swelling, but the results, not final results will be evident soon after surgery. Check before and after images to see what results look  ike weeks and months after surgery.

If you are unhappy with results, revision surgery can be accomplished. I try to remove as much unwanted fat in a single surgery as required for an ideal result. On rare occasions, and I discuss these situations with patients prior to surgery, a surgery might be staged if both excess skin and fat are present and a staged procedure might minimize or eliminate unwanted scarring. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Results After Liposuction of the Chest

Hi ms8172,

Thanks for the post.  Typically liposuction of any area should at least start to show improvement at three weeks. Final results typically take months.  There may be residual swelling present or perhaps there may be more glandular tissue than initially appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

It is too early to tell

At 3-4 weeks you can see a significant difference in most areas except very fibrous areas. The fibrous or glandular tissue of the chest requires extra effort to remove the fat and tissue so as a result you have more trauma to the area which causes more prolonged swelling. In a month from now you should see a bigger difference and the final result at about 4-6 months. Be patient and trust what your doc tells you along the way.

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lipo is inadequate for true gynecomastia

Standard liposuction will remove FAT not breast.  The results are suboptimal correction because breast still remains.  I always combine aggressive chest wall liposuction with glandular excision.  A small incision is made (camouflaged around arealo) to remove the actual breast.  Without excision, you will have breasts after lipo.

Tim Neavin, MD

You are very early in the recovery period after liposuction and gynecomastia reduction.  Give it more time before evaluating the outcome of your surgery.  Communicate your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia results

Depending on the severity of the gynecomastia, you can generally notice improvement 3 weeks after surgery.  Based on your question, it sounds like you have had improvement but you are desiring more. It will take 4 to 6 months to see the final result. Discuss your concerns with the surgeon, and he can advise you accordingly.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Liposuction for gynecomastia

I have found that liposuction alone only works completely in about 20% of cases. Most of the time a good portion of the excess breast tissue is glandular and is not easily removed with liposuction techniques. i use Ultrasonic Assisted liposuction which helps a great deal more but in a majority of cases the stubborn tough tissue needs to be directly excised. i am usually able to do this with a small scar placed off to the side of the chest. Others frequently use a scar placed along the lower border of the areola. You should see the results right away though it takes a good 3 months to see the final results.

When to see results

Typically gynecomastia is a combination of fat cells and glandular  (breast ) tissue. The fat responds to liposuction the glandular tissue does not. In cases with substantial glandular tissue there will be minimal improvement after liposuction the tissue needs to be surgically removed. Results are apparent at 72 hours although that is not the final result but certainly a change would be noted.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Liposuction for male breast reduction

Patients should notice the results of liposuction for male breast reduction very quickly. The extent of your results depend on the technique that the surgeon used as well, fat was removed. Discuss with your surgeon the amount of fat that was removed in the areas where he was removed from. Patients will typically have swelling in this area for 4 to 6 months after their surgery. If after that time, you still do not notice appreciable results or would like a more sculpted look, it is possible to repeat the liposuction or use a different technique in liposuction. In our practice, we exclusively use ultrasound liposuction for this area because this technique is more effective than smart lipo in the dense and fibrous male fat

Pat Pazmino, MD