Lipo for Male Breast Reduction - How Long Until Results Are Noticeable?

I am a 37-year-old male that had Smart Lipo with tumescent liposuction done on my abdomen and breasts 23 days ago. I immediately have noticed a difference in my abdomen but I am worried that my breasts are not going to be flat enough. Is it still too early for me to judge my results? Does it take the breast longer to go down than the immediate results I see in my stomach? My Doctor told me that I did not have much granular breast tissue.

It is too early to tell

+2

At 3-4 weeks you can see a significant difference in most areas except very fibrous areas. The fibrous or glandular tissue of the chest requires extra effort to remove the fat and tissue so as a result you have more trauma to the area which causes more prolonged swelling. In a month from now you should see a bigger difference and the final result at about 4-6 months. Be patient and trust what your doc tells you along the way.

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

May Take Up to 6 Weeks to See Noticeable & Up to 6 Months to See Final Results Following Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

Liposuction is frequently used to treat gynecomastia when the amount of glandular breast tissue present is minimal. It’s not unusual for patients to note significant swelling in the immediate post-operative period when this technique is utilized.

It may take up to six weeks to see noticeable changes in the breast and up to six months to see the final result. Post-operative compression garments and massage can facilitate healing.

It’s not unusual to have the type of swelling that you describe in the early post-operative period. Consultation with your plastic surgeon should provide you with the reassurance that you need. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia results

+1

Depending on the severity of the gynecomastia, you can generally notice improvement 3 weeks after surgery.  Based on your question, it sounds like you have had improvement but you are desiring more. It will take 4 to 6 months to see the final result. Discuss your concerns with the surgeon, and he can advise you accordingly.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Liposuction for gynecomastia

+1

I have found that liposuction alone only works completely in about 20% of cases. Most of the time a good portion of the excess breast tissue is glandular and is not easily removed with liposuction techniques. i use Ultrasonic Assisted liposuction which helps a great deal more but in a majority of cases the stubborn tough tissue needs to be directly excised. i am usually able to do this with a small scar placed off to the side of the chest. Others frequently use a scar placed along the lower border of the areola. You should see the results right away though it takes a good 3 months to see the final results.

Ronald Schuster, MD

When to see results

+1

Typically gynecomastia is a combination of fat cells and glandular  (breast ) tissue. The fat responds to liposuction the glandular tissue does not. In cases with substantial glandular tissue there will be minimal improvement after liposuction the tissue needs to be surgically removed. Results are apparent at 72 hours although that is not the final result but certainly a change would be noted.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Liposuction for male breast reduction

+1

Patients should notice the results of liposuction for male breast reduction very quickly. The extent of your results depend on the technique that the surgeon used as well, fat was removed. Discuss with your surgeon the amount of fat that was removed in the areas where he was removed from. Patients will typically have swelling in this area for 4 to 6 months after their surgery. If after that time, you still do not notice appreciable results or would like a more sculpted look, it is possible to repeat the liposuction or use a different technique in liposuction. In our practice, we exclusively use ultrasound liposuction for this area because this technique is more effective than smart lipo in the dense and fibrous male fat

Pat Pazmino, MD

Lipo of chest

+1

At 23 dyas, it is still a bit early to see final results. I would give it at least 4- 6 months for the majority of the swelling to disappear.

Male Breast Reduction

+1

The abnormally large male breast consists of three main components: excess fat, excess skin, and excess glandular tissue. Some breasts have more or less of these components influencing what needs to be done surgically. There are many types of liposuction techniques. All are good at removing fat.

Ultrasonic and laser lipolysis are believed to be better at skin tightening. However, there have been no scientific studies to prove this. Removal of glandular tissue by lipolysis is more difficult than fat removal and may require direct excision. If the skin is very loose or there is sagging of the skin, skin tightening may be required. There will be more scarring if formal skin tightening is needed

At 23 days, you should see significant improvement. However it may take 3-4 months to see the final results.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Liposuction

+1

Liposuction for gynecomastia can produce a significant improvement in breast shape, volume, and skin redundancy. It plays a smaller role in very large male breasts that sag. Results are seen within one week as the swelling from surgery subsides. Ultrasound and laser assisted liposuction also cause skin shrinkage.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS