Lipo for Male Breast Reduction - How Long Until Results Are Noticeable?

I am a 37-year-old male that had Smart Lipo with tumescent liposuction done on my abdomen and breasts 23 days ago. I immediately have noticed a difference in my abdomen but I am worried that my breasts are not going to be flat enough. Is it still too early for me to judge my results? Does it take the breast longer to go down than the immediate results I see in my stomach? My Doctor told me that I did not have much granular breast tissue.

It is too early to tell

+2

At 3-4 weeks you can see a significant difference in most areas except very fibrous areas. The fibrous or glandular tissue of the chest requires extra effort to remove the fat and tissue so as a result you have more trauma to the area which causes more prolonged swelling. In a month from now you should see a bigger difference and the final result at about 4-6 months. Be patient and trust what your doc tells you along the way.

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

+1
You are very early in the recovery period after liposuction and gynecomastia reduction.  Give it more time before evaluating the outcome of your surgery.  Communicate your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Swelling Usually Gets Worse Before it Gets Better

+1
I perform a great deal liposuction of gynecomastia, and what I have come to realize is that the result looks best while the patient is still on the table.  Over the next week or so, a significant amount of swelling occurs in the soft tissues of the chest that often causes concern for the patient.  I have learned that this is temporary, but it will literally take between 3 and 6 months for things to look as good as they did during the procedure.  There seems to be less swelling that occurs in the abdominal region following liposuction, and the final result is more evident much earlier than with liposuction of the breasts.  So try to be patient and hang in there!

I hope this answer was helpful.  Good luck!

David F. Pratt, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

May Take Up to 6 Weeks to See Noticeable & Up to 6 Months to See Final Results Following Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

Liposuction is frequently used to treat gynecomastia when the amount of glandular breast tissue present is minimal. It’s not unusual for patients to note significant swelling in the immediate post-operative period when this technique is utilized.

It may take up to six weeks to see noticeable changes in the breast and up to six months to see the final result. Post-operative compression garments and massage can facilitate healing.

It’s not unusual to have the type of swelling that you describe in the early post-operative period. Consultation with your plastic surgeon should provide you with the reassurance that you need. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia results

+1

Depending on the severity of the gynecomastia, you can generally notice improvement 3 weeks after surgery.  Based on your question, it sounds like you have had improvement but you are desiring more. It will take 4 to 6 months to see the final result. Discuss your concerns with the surgeon, and he can advise you accordingly.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Liposuction for gynecomastia

+1

I have found that liposuction alone only works completely in about 20% of cases. Most of the time a good portion of the excess breast tissue is glandular and is not easily removed with liposuction techniques. i use Ultrasonic Assisted liposuction which helps a great deal more but in a majority of cases the stubborn tough tissue needs to be directly excised. i am usually able to do this with a small scar placed off to the side of the chest. Others frequently use a scar placed along the lower border of the areola. You should see the results right away though it takes a good 3 months to see the final results.

Ronald Schuster, MD

When to see results

+1

Typically gynecomastia is a combination of fat cells and glandular  (breast ) tissue. The fat responds to liposuction the glandular tissue does not. In cases with substantial glandular tissue there will be minimal improvement after liposuction the tissue needs to be surgically removed. Results are apparent at 72 hours although that is not the final result but certainly a change would be noted.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Liposuction for male breast reduction

+1

Patients should notice the results of liposuction for male breast reduction very quickly. The extent of your results depend on the technique that the surgeon used as well, fat was removed. Discuss with your surgeon the amount of fat that was removed in the areas where he was removed from. Patients will typically have swelling in this area for 4 to 6 months after their surgery. If after that time, you still do not notice appreciable results or would like a more sculpted look, it is possible to repeat the liposuction or use a different technique in liposuction. In our practice, we exclusively use ultrasound liposuction for this area because this technique is more effective than smart lipo in the dense and fibrous male fat

Pat Pazmino, MD

Lipo of chest

+1

At 23 dyas, it is still a bit early to see final results. I would give it at least 4- 6 months for the majority of the swelling to disappear.