Male Breast Reduction Price

How much does male breast reduction cost? What factors influence the price of male breast reduction? Will insurance cover the expense?

Price of Male Breast Reduction Surgery / Gynecomastia

+6
The Price of Male Breast Reduction surgery will depend upon the amount of time the surgery takes. There are several different types of gynecomastia. 
Treatment of ‘pure glandular’ gynecomastia 
‘Pure glandular’ gynecomastia (puffy nipples) can usually be treated by direct tissue excision alone. This type of treatment does not involve fatty tissue excess or significant skin excess. The glandular breast tissue proliferation is located immediately behind the nipple and areola and is removed through an incision placed at the inferior border of the areola. The incision can be limited, in most cases, from about the 4 o’clock to the 8 o’clock position of the areola. The color difference between areolar skin and chest skin conceals this type of incision quite nicely for most patients.
Treatment of ‘mixed glandular/adipose’ gynecomastia: mild to moderate cases
The most common form of gynecomastia (‘mixed glandular/adipose’) requires ultrasonic liposuction and, in some cases, direct breast tissue excision as well. I believe that ultrasonic liposuction is without question the ideal approach to the majority of gynecomastia cases. Ultrasonic liposuction involves the use of ultrasonic energy to emulsify fat (turn it from solid to liquid) after the infiltration of tumescent solution and before the aspiration of fat. The ultrasonic energy is delivered using a solid probe that is extremely effective at breaking up the dense, fibrous breast tissue behind the nipple-areola complex. For this procedure, I use the VASER ultrasonic liposuction system produced by Sound Surgical Technologies Inc. VASER is a specialized probe developed specifically for gynecomastia.
Ultrasonic liposuction is often effective enough to eliminate the need to make an incision at the areolar border to directly remove breast tissue. This treatment method also appears to produce a degree of desirable skin retraction that is generally not seen with conventional liposuction techniques. This allows some patients who formerly would have required skin excision to be treated with a more limited and less invasive approach.
Whenever possible, I attempt to avoid skin excision due to scarring associated with this type of procedure. If the surgery leaves extensive scars, and the patient is very self-conscious about them, then the patient has merely traded one reason to never take off his shirt (‘man boobs’) for another (scars that show he had surgery for his ‘man boobs’). For that reason, I have treated a large number of patients by means of a staged surgical approach. In the first procedure, breast tissue is removed by ultrasonic liposuction with or without direct tissue removal – but only up to the point where a deflated or ‘saggier’ breast appearance is not produced. Several months are allowed to pass so that the final liposuction result can be evaluated. During this time, the skin tends to retract for two reasons: much of the distending breast and adipose tissue has been removed, and the ultrasonic liposuction energy has stimulated further tissue and skin retraction.
Nine to 12 months later a second ultrasonic liposuction procedure is performed to further reduce the breasts, and in most cases a masculine chest profile is achieved without the surgical scars that result from skin excision. While a staged surgery may seem less convenient than a single trip to the operating room, the possibility of avoiding scars that are essentially non-concealable makes the staged surgery quite appealing to most patients.
It is important to note that the degree of skin retraction cannot be predicted or guaranteed, and a few patients ultimately do require some skin excision at the time of their second procedure. Other gynecomastia patients, usually with moderate skin excess, prefer a one-stage approach, and in these cases I add a circumareolar skin excision, sometimes called a ‘donut mastopexy’ (described below) at the end of the procedure. Chest hair helps conceal surgical scars; therefore, patients with hairy chests are more likely to elect the single-stage approach, which includes circumareolar mastopexy.
Whenever possible, I avoid making incisions outside the areola (except for the very small, strategically placed incisions used for liposuction) as such incisions are generally not well-concealed and can be a continued source of self-consciousness. Many gynecomastia patients relate that prior to being treated they have been unwilling to remove their shirts in public (and some even in private), and extensive chest scarring typically does not improve the situation.
Treatment of ‘mixed glandular/adipose’ gynecomastia: moderate to severe cases
Although I prefer to avoid skin excision whenever possible, some skin removal is required in patients with significantly droopy breast/chest skin. For treatment of moderate skin excess, I strongly prefer a circumareolar skin excision pattern, which involves a ‘donut’-shaped area of skin around the areola. This procedure produces a circumareolar scar, meaning the scar encompasses the entire circumference of the areola. A purse-string suture is used to narrow the diameter of the outer border of the excision site, and thus the outer edge of the surgical closure is pleated/gathered for several weeks to months postoperatively. In about half of cases the circumareolar scar is minimally noticeable and quite acceptable once the scar has fully matured (12–24 months), while the other half of patients eventually return for partial or total revision of the surgical scar. Because there is much less tension on the healing scar when it is revised, the vast majority of circumareolar scar revision patients experience a significant improvement in ultimate scar appearance.
Some gynecomastia patients have a degree of breast enlargement and associated skin droopiness that requires what is essentially a ‘male mastectomy.’ This surgery is reserved for patients who have a much-feminized and sometimes deflated breast appearance, which cannot be treated effectively with staged liposuction procedures or with skin excision limited to the immediate periareolar area. This procedure is also used to treat men following major weight loss, including bariatric surgery patients who have deflated breasts. The male mastectomy consists of complete surgical removal of excess breast tissue (skin, fat and glandular tissue), leaving a horizontal scar that extends the entire length of the sub-pectoral fold, which is the horizontal crease that normally exists at the bottom of the pectoral area. The tissue that is removed includes the nipple-areola complex, so the nipple-areola is removed at the beginning of the procedure and is re-applied at the end as a full-thickness skin graft. This procedure produces a masculine-appearing chest profile in a single stage, at the price of the associated scars. Fortunately, the scars are limited to anatomic ‘border zones,’ and thus are partially concealed by the local anatomic features: the border of the areola and the sub-pectoral crease.
‘Inverted-T’ breast reduction, which is the pattern used for many female breast reductions and lifts, is in my opinion an inappropriate choice for male patients. The vertical scar is used with female patients because it is associated with internal reshaping techniques that help produce better breast projection, which is the least desirable outcome for a male gynecomastia patient. Additionally, the vertical scar is not concealed or camouflaged by an anatomic feature, and as a result it is the most obvious tell-tale sign that surgery has been performed.
Treatment of ‘pseudogynecomastia’
Some patients suffer from proliferation of primarily fatty breast tissue over the pectoralis major muscle, which can be effectively reduced by liposuction alone. This is commonly seen in patients who are overweight. For treatment of fatty tissue excess alone, I prefer ultrasonic liposuction (described above). It is important to note that in overweight patients there is often some associated skin laxity and even skin excess, which can limit the degree of a complete improvement. Also, overweight/obese patients may gradually develop some secondary breast-tissue proliferation that is related to an underlying ‘pro-estrogenic state’; therefore, careful pre-operative evaluation is required as many ‘pseudogynecomastia’ patients gradually become ‘mixed adipose/glandular’ gynecomastia patients and must be treated accordingly.
Areolar reduction
Even with minimal breast tissue enlargement, an enlarged areolar diameter tends to produce a feminized breast appearance. For patients with an enlarged areolar diameter, I perform an areolar reduction in addition to direct excision of breast tissue and liposuction. This requires an incision, and thus a scar, that encompasses the entire circumference of the areola. However, the scar is usually obscured fairly well by the color difference between areolar skin and the adjacent chest skin. The reduced areolar diameter is critical to producing a more masculine appearance of the anterior chest. A periareolar incision is also useful for removing excess breast skin, with or without an enlarged areola, in cases where the skin excess is not severe. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast Reduction Cost

+2

As noted by many other surgeons on this site, the cost of gynecomastia surgery varies depending on the extent of the condition as well as the location. In my practice, the cost for most patients is approximately $6500, which includes all fees (surgeon, hospital, anesthesia and pathology).  It is slightly higher if skin removal is required.  Insurance rarely covers the procedure, which is considered cosmetic by most insurance carriers. 

Richard Silverman, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

Cost of gynecomastia Corrective Surgery

+2

Surgery to Gynecomastia can vary from patient to patient. The extent of the surgery, the skill of the surgeon, the techniques used, and the time that would take to do the surgery would determine the cost.

The cost would be typically somewhere between 5000 to $7000.

Please see an experienced surgeon with passion for getting the best result. After consultation, a more accurate estimate of the cost of surgery can be given.

Hope this helped.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Male breast reduction cost

+2

Male breast reduction cost can vary depending on if there is a need for excision of any skin or just liposuction with removal of the glandular tissue by direct excision.

For liposuction with direct excision of the glandular tissue, costs are $4500 for everything at Hedden Plastic Surgery in Birmingham, Alabama. This includes facility, anesthesia and surgeons fees.

If there is some laxity to the tissue and the patient wishes to have smart liposuction with the excision the cost is $1000 more for the added laser cost.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast Reduction costs $5000 - 10000

+2

Correction of gynecomastia can be an insurance-covered benefit and this is the appropriate place to start. Gynecomastia can be caused by medications, weight, marijuana use, or (in rare cases) tumors that effect your hormonal balance.

Gynecomastia correction surgery is different than breast reduction surgery for women. The end goals are different in that breast reduction surgery aims to create a smaller attractive looking breast that has projection, roundness and appropriate horizontal positioning of the nipple in comparison to the breast fold and breast mound.

Gynecomastia correction aims to create a male-looking breast with significant improvement in the skin envelope and subcutaneous breast tissue.

Typically costs are between $5000-$10000 depending on the techniques used (liposuction, direct excision, combinations of both).

Steven H. Williams, MD

Male Breast Reduction Price

+1
In my practice, male breast reduction typically costs $4,000 to $5,000.  If significant skin resection is needed, it would effect the cost of the surgery.  Insurance typically does not cover this surgery in most cases.  See a local plastic surgeon for more details.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Cost of Male Breast Reduction Surgery for Gynecomastia/Puffy Nipples

+1
The cost of male breast reduction/puffy nipple surgery can vary greatly, depending on the exact procedure performed, type of anesthesia and surgical facility used. Also, fees vary significantly based on what part of the country and what type of physician is performing the surgery. The average cost for male breast reduction according to a 2013 survey by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons was $3,196.The type of surgery, anesthesia and facility were not mentioned however. That number is quite a bit lower than those being reported by many RealSelf male breast reduction patients, which is often between $5000 and $7000. The cost of compression garments, lab tests and prescriptions are often required not included in these reported prices.
With regard to insurance, male breast reduction surgery will not be covered unless some level of medical necessity can be proven.  Symptoms such as intertriginous rashes in the inframammary fold area, neck, shoulder and back strain and pain are commonly used as medical justification for female breast reduction, but would not apply in most cases of gynecomastia.  One other factor that might be considered is the negative effect of gynecomastia on your mental health.  Check with your insurance company though, since they usually vary significantly from one insurance company to another.
I hope that helps.  Good luck!

David F. Pratt, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Insurance coverage for gynecomastia surgery

+1
This is a tricky question.  Some insurance carriers specifically exclude the word "gynecomastia" from their insurance plans.  Others cover the cost of just simply removing the glandular breast tissue, without covering the cost of liposuction to sculpt the area.  In my experience, if a surgeon just simply removes the breast tissue directly, without additional sculpting, there can be a significant aesthetic deformity leading to a divoted chest.  The price of liposuction to the chest area, in California, ranges from about $6,000 to $10,000.  the more extensive, the more expensive the procedure.

Salvatore Pacella, MD, MBA, FACS

Male Breast Reduction Price

+1
The price of your male breast reduction depends on several factors, including the following:

surgeon fees
surgical facility
anesthetist fees
technique applied (liposuction or excision)

Generally speaking, insurance does not cover the cost of your procedure because it is usually for aesthetic rather than therapeutic benefit. However, you should ask your insurance provider as they may be different.

In Toronto, Ontario, the cost of the procedure ranges from $4000-$6000.  Financing options are available.

Jerome Edelstein, MD