Can I Get a Lip Lift Before Rhinoplasty?

I would like to start by getting a lip lift to correct a long upper lip, and see if it corrects my appearance sufficiently. If not, then I would do rhinoplasty as well (for a bulbous tip). Is it ok to do a lip lift and then do an open rhinoplasty (or are the procedures not possible in this order?)

Lip LIft and then Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, you can have a lip lift first.  However, I would suggest a consultation with computer imaging before making a decision.  Sometimes, the appearance of a long upper lip is because the tip of the nose is too high (hyper-rotated) and actually pulls the lip upwards.  Rotating the tip of the nose down and deepening the angle between the nose and the lip, the nasolabial angle, can give the appearance of a shorter lip.  I don't know how old you are, but lip lifting or shortening procedures are most common for people over 50. Happy to see you in Worcester.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip lift and rhinoplasty performed together

+1

A lip  lift and a closed rhinoplasty can be performed simultaneously. Is also acceptable to undergo the both procedures separately. Really depends on the patient's desires.

Lip Lift Before Rhinoplasty

+1

A lip lift can be done before your nasal surgery regardless of the rhinoplasty technique but this will not improve the appearance of your nose. It will be easier for you to do both procedures at the same time unless the nose will be done with the open approach; if this is necessary do the operations separately to avoid compromising circulation at the base of the nose.

Can I Get a Lip Lift Before Rhinoplasty

+1

You can get a lip lift prior to a rhinoplasty.  If your surgeon is planning on an internal approach you could have the procedures done simultaneously.  If your surgeon is planning on an Open Structure Rhinoplasty then you should wait at least 6 months between the lip lift and the OSR.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

A lip lift is a great way to shorten the skin portion of the upper lip and increase dental show

+1

The lip lift is done through an incision at the base of the nose. Excess skin is removed so the upper teeth also show more when smiling. This can also evert (turn out) the upper lip.

This incision will not interfere with a later rhinoplasty. If the rhinoplasty is considered at the same time, the intranasal approach is best since no external incisions are made that can interfere or compete with the lip lift incision. If your surgeon is contemplating an open rhinoplasty then I would wait at least 6 months.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Lip Lift Before Rhinoplasty

+1

Certainly, a lip lift can be performed before rhinoplasty.

I would not expect the lip procedure to correct aesthetic nasal concerns but if you prefer to stage the approach, this would be possible.

See the link for further information.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon