Flash Recovery Breast Augmentation

I saw that another RealSelf user posted she had a flash recovery breast aug and wondered if other doctors offer this quick recovery technique?

Is Flash Recovery Breast Augmentation Too Good To Be True-Read Before Judging

+4

Understandably, many surgeons are reluctant to admit that quick recovery is possible. While the name is developed for marketing purposes and describes the recovery in an interesting tongue in cheek sort of way, the procedure and its merits are REAL. It is not important whether the name is flash, rapid, or quick recovery but if the surgeon can deliver the results. I stand by it, regardless of criticisms for its name.  I wholeheartedly disagree with marketing for marketing's sake but when a procedure or philosophy is this powerful, it is important to distinguish it from the rest. Furthermore, the principles have been shown to be effective and published in 2002.  Dr. John Tebbetts who first developed the whole quick recovery technique and philosophy did so with the improving patient experience as his first and foremost goal. Everything we do as surgeons always has room for improvement. Just as we use implants that are completely different from ones used decades ago, so should the surgical techniques be.  The goals of this technique is not to be quick in the operating room but to rather perform as bloodless a dissection as possible with the theory being that less bleeding equals less pain and also may reduce capsular contracture risk (hardenning). You owe it to yourself togo with a surgeon that uses techniques that provide as fast a recovery as possible based on your genetic and your native healing capacity. You can't change your genetic makeup but you can research and choose surgeons carefully. 

While the surgical time can be as short as 17 to 20 minutes, that is not the PRIMARY GOAL. I am not racing , but rather not wasting time catching up to bleeding control or holding pressure on the breast because a vein popped, or being imprecise with the pocket dissection. There is no blind dissection. The surgeon sees everything and performs a precise, quick dissection without blunt instruments that rip and shred like the surgeon's own finger. 

I have many many patients who have undergone this type of breast augmentation and would be happy to talk with prospective patients or skeptics.  It is important to realize also, that not everyone is a candidate. However, I would say a large proportion (rough estimate= about 75% of primary breast augmentation patients who do not require lift or constricted breast correction ) do recover as shown in the link below. Patients with tuberous or constricted breasts, significant asymmetry, or who need a lift are NOT candidates.  Also, patients that want to be unrealistically large are also not candidates.

Please visit the llink below for more information.  Good luck in your search. While some surgeons may call this procedure something else, there are some across the country that do strive to make the patient experience better with recovery and placing appropriate sized implants.  The importance is not if it is called "flash," rapid, or quick recovery but that the surgeon can deliver the results.  I took a slight risk in performing this during a live studio audience taping on television but I am simple that confident in its merits and in the technique, because I KNOW it works.

Hope this was helpful. I am the first to say be wary when you hear a new name, technique or marketing for a procedure or product.  However, just because something has a unique name to it, does not automatically make it not real. Lastly, thank you to Drs. Tebbetts and William P Adams, Jr. for teaching me the better way to breast augmentation.  Also, thank you to Drs. Placik and Buchanan for taking the high road to answering this question and letting patients know that there is such a thing as quick recovery after breast augmentation and not defaming a procedure just because of a new name or marketing technique used to bring it to our patients. 

Web reference: http://www.ghavamiplasticsurgery.com/dr-a-ghavami/flash-recovery-breast-augmentation-what-you-need-to-know-and-details-from-the-

Flash Recovery Breast Augmentation

+2

This is a wonderful technique starting to gain acceptance amongst plastic surgeons.  It was originally developed and published by Dr. John Tebbetts in Dallas, TX.   I have studied this technique and believe it contains a lot of merit.   I utilizethe preoperative assessment and intraoperative techniques in my practice and think they work very well for my patients.   I do think that most patients respond well, but that not all patients fall into the 24 hour rule.  Patients requiring parenchymal modifications, large implants, or those with poor pain tolerance, may require more time.   

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Rapid recovery breast augmentation

+2
There are many factors that determine how any individual recovers. One of those veriables is the technique that the surgeon uses. This is real and can make a significant difference in your recovery time. You do, however, have to be careful as many people use other techniques and their "rapid recovery" may be only a marketing technique. Ask for references.
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Quick recovery following breast augmentation with implants

+2

Quick recovery following breast augmentation with implants varies depending on several factors including but not limited individual pain tolerance, range of motion exercises (see rapid recovery video), implant size, over/under placment, skin envelope compliance, peri-operative pain management regimen and techniques, etc.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Breast augmentation

+2

To repeat what the other plastic surgeons have said:  beware of gimmicks.  If things sound too good to be true, they are.  The body will heal the same no matter who it is, removing health factors.

Hard to understand why recovery would be faster...

+2

Your pocket has to be made one way or another. In all cases there is a new pocket where there was none before. In all cases there is an implant placed of varying size. We all strive to be as gentle as human possible to attain these goals, so it is hard to see how it can be a lot better than "traditional" surgery.  In my practice there is a huge variation between patients on how they recover. Some brush the surgery off like nothing happened, and want to play softball on day 5. Others are ouchy till day 21. Most are very comfortable by 5 to 7 days. 

Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Fast Recovery Breast Augmentation - is NOT New

+2

Regarding: "Flash Recovery Breast Augmentation  I saw that another RealSelf user posted she had a flash recovery breast aug and wondered if other doctors offer this quick recovery technique?"

Cosmetic Surgery is a multi-Billion dollar industry with a large portion of which dedicated to Breast Augmentation. As more and more non-plastic surgery fellowship physicians are performing these operations (such as Family physicians, general surgeons, Ear Nose and Throat, Ob GYN, dermatologists etc), the competition for patients has become fierce.

Marketing hype often passes the line of honesty and propriety and is clearly waist deep in exaggeration, BS and outright lies territory. The procedure you are asking about is just ANOTHER such claim.

Plastic surgeons have known for YEARS that making a breast implant pocket with gentle technique without blunt ripping of the tissues produces much less pain and inflammation. NO MAGIC there. If you pick a really detail and results obsessed Plastic surgeon you WILL get this fast recovery. On the other hand, if you pick a bottom dweller whose business model is based on getting as many women on his OR table as possible with low fees and exaggerated if not fraudulent claims, he will likely doing as many cases a day as possible by getting in and out by using fast ripping techniques. You will regret that choice.

Choose wisely and don't fall for the marketing BS.

By the way, I hope no one falls for the following "new" breast augmentation methods, I just made up:
- The Lunch Hour Breast Augmentation (LHBA)
- No Recovery Breast Augmentation (NRBA)
- Ouchless Breast Implants (OBI)
- Nonsurgical Breast Augmentation
(NSBA)
- No Scar Breast Augmentation (NSBA)
- Party Tonight Breast Augmentation (PTBA)
- Painless Breast Augmentation (PBA)
- In the clubs tonight Breast Augmentation (ICTBA)
- Can't Believe I had a Breast Augmentation Today (CBHBAT)
- Breast Implants while you have your nails done (BIWHND)

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Flash Breast Augmentation

+2

Flash breast augmentation (FBA) is traditional breast augmentation. The idea is to make the pocket for the implant with minimal trauma to the surrounding tissues. While (FBA) is trademarked, it requires the careful use of ordinary surgical techniques. Every good plastic surgeon should strive to place breast implants in the a way that minimizes trauma to the breast and chest.

Be skeptical of plastic surgery with gimmicks. Plastic surgery is a profession. When one of us finds a better way to do a procedure, we share the technique. Good techniques spread rapidly through our peer networks and our annual meetings. Keeping procedures "secret" , or trying to patent them, is unethical, and is forbidden by our national societies.

Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Flash recovery breast augmentation

+1
Thank you for your question! This answer will vary amongst each surgeon, and it is wisest to discuss this with your plastic surgeon. In my practice, utilizing the fast track technique after breast augmentations, women are readily able and doing most things virtually immediately after this procedure.  It is the similar techniques as described and is really gaining popularity.  She is even recommended to go out for dinner that evening. However, follow your surgeon's instructions for postoperative care and restrictions, but it is common for most women to resume many of the preoperative activities and duties within a week. I typically restrict heavy lifting and vigorous exercise for approximately 4-6 weeks Swelling and settling of the implant typically occurs over a 6-12 week period, while your incisions commonly resolve to its final appearance in up to a year. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a great result!
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

BBA Recovery

+1

It really depends on a few factors. Adequate pain control is likely the most important. Individual pain tolerance differs greatly. I find that women who have had children generally have less post-op pain, as they have a much higher pain tolerance. From a surgical point of view, there are several things the surgeon/anaesthesiologist can do to decrease your post-op pain.

I generally perform breast blocks prior to making any incisions with a mix of short- and long-acting local anaesthetics. I have found this greatly reduces post-op pain. I also encourage patients to take the prescribed pain killers regularly every 4 hours especially for the first 24-48 hours. If you don't stay on top of the pain in the immediate post-operative period, it is extremely difficult to "catch-up". Most of my patients experience very little post-op pain after breast augmentation.

Of course, the type of augmentation you have will also determine your post-operative discomfort. Larger implants, and subpectoral implant placement will also increase post-op discomfort. This doesn't mean you shouldn't get large implants, or place them under the muscle - you simply need to know what to expect. Many women also experience difficulty with sleeping in the first few weeks after augmentation due to the weight of the implants on their chest. This is more significant in back-sleepers.

To answer your question about time off work, my experience has been that there is a huge range. I have patients that go back to work the next day (against my advice), and I have had patients take as much as 2 weeks off of work. It really depends on what you do for work, and how you feel. As for taking care of your kids, if your implant is placed under the muscle, it will be a few weeks before you feel comfortable enough to pick them up.

As for scars, I tell patients it will take a year to see the absolute final result. Practically, however, by 3-6 months the scar will be very close to the final result. I suggest 3M paper taping, and have a specific scar massage protocol I use to help speed scar resolution.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,