What Can I Do About Latisse Causing Eye Irritation?

Latisse gives me redness and itching on the eyes. To limit irritation, can I put it on for a limited amount of time (for example 20 minutes) then wash it off, and still get results?

Itching and Redness with Latisse

+4

I would not recommend your washing the Latisse off after 20 minutes. I think you will limit its effectiveness. I would apply it right before bedtime and make sure you apply it to the skin line above the upper lashes, not to the lashes themselves. This way less of it will get in your eye. The worst cases of redness I have seen with Latisse is from the patient  applying too much, so more gets in the eye. You might try a finer mascara brush(off label) to apply the Latisse. I have only had one or two patients have to stop the product because of ongoing irritation, so try the above tricks and you should see relief.

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Minimize direct contact of Latisse with the eye itself

+4

The best way to limit irritation and redness inside the eyes, is to not only apply it sparingly, but you can strategically apply a kleenex underneath the top lashes as you close the eyes and let the tissue absorb any excess drops. This will minimize any medication getting directly INTO the eye.

Lumigan, which was the ophthalmic counterpart, would cause eye redness for a few weeks which would eventually resolve on its own if the patient was able to tolerate the redness and continue.

If you are having any symptoms of redness and irritation though, it is best to contact your local Ophthalmologist who can make the right recommendations for you.

Shalini Kapoor, MD
Los Angeles Ophthalmologist

Latisse and Eye Irritation

+3

Latisse is the cosmetic brand name of Lumigan, an ophthalmic preparation made to go into the eye. Both can cause irritation, and this usually resolves with time. The best way to minimize irritation is applying the Latisse only to the skin at the base of the eyelashes and avoiding any excess getting into your eyes.

Washing the Latisse off will likely lessen its effectiveness, but you may try using it less frequently (every other or every third day) until your eyes have a chance to adjust. If the irritation persists, discontinue use, and follow-up with your doctor or an Ophthalmologist in your area.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Try using Latisse every 2nd or 3rd day instead of every day to decrease any irritation

+3

Using Latisse for only 20 minutes will likely still produce irritation and will likely not yield the results that you are hoping for. Instead, you might try using the Latisse every 2nd or 3rd day instead of every day to decrease any irritation. Others of my patients have found that applying the Latisse in the morning rather than the evening resolves the redness/irritation problem – of course, these patients are not applying mascara during the day either.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Latisse SIde-Effects: Irritation is the most common

+3

Latisse is a safe and effective topical medication that is applied to the upper lashline to increase eyelash growth, fullness and color. The side effect most commonly seen is irritation, which will resolve with discontinuation or decreased frequency of use. Paint a small amount of Latisse on the upper lash line after you remove your contacts and pat dry. Do not re-use applicators. Make sure you are applying it correctly prior to discontinuation.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Latisse- how to minimize redness and irritation

+3
Latisse is for the eyelashes only. Use it sparingly. Apply only to the upper eyelashes. Use the applicator on the skin directly above the upper eyelashes- like you are putting eyeliner above the lash. Do not let it drip into the eye. I have had patients who get a red irritation of the skin near the eyelash. You could see if it improves by decreasing the frequency, by applying the latisse every other night. If it persists, you may have a mild allergy. Latisse is dispensed by doctors so if you have an issue you can see a doctor. I would recommend you go to your provider as well. Washing it off 20 minutes after application will likely negate its lash growing effect.

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Latisse and eye irritation

+3

The key here is not to get the Latisse in the eye. It is important to carefully apply Latisse directly above the lid line (where the eyelashes are) and in a sparing amount. You do not want to soak the applicator. If you apply too much, gently wick away the excess with a tissue. If you are having issues with itching and redness of the eyelid after application, I would recommend discontinuing the product and following up with your doctor.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Irritation and Latisse

+3

It is possible that you are allergic to Latisse if the eyelid itself is red and irritated. If it is the white part of the eye, that is known side effect and it means that some is getting into your eye. Seek the care of an eyeMD, have your eyes checked.  Also, make sure to follow the instructions so that the drop is applied to the brush and the upper eyelid only.

Sandy Feldman, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist