How Long Does Latisse Last? Are Results Permanent?

If not, how long does the latisse results last?

Latisse is not permanent but long lasting

Latisse is not permanent but it can last a long time.  I have patients use it for one or two month till they see the results they want.  At that time they can cut back to every third day or three times a week to maintain.  The brushes that come with the product waste a great deal of the material.  Smaller brushes  or even a tooth pick can used to apply Latisse to the to the base of the eyelash.  The whole eyelash does not have to be coated.

How long does Latisse Last?

Thanks for your question -

Latisse increases lash length, thickness and darkens lashes by effecting the growth phase of your lashes.

Latisse improvements to your lashes will last approximately through a cycle of lash growth - this would be 1 - 2 months. Many patients go into "maintenance phase" applying Latisse every three days to maintain their growth.

Regarding eye color change (there is some discussion below) - when used as a glaucoma medication (different dosage and applied directly into the eye) 3 out of thousands of patients noticed that green or hazel (not blue - has to do with the pigment in the eye) got darker - of particular note none of the three patients thought the change was significant enough to stop using the medication. And this was NOT seen in the Latisse trial. This is not to say that it can't happen - I just think we should be clear on the facts.

Latisse is not permanent

Latisse is not a permanent fix.  Once you have used Latisse for the recommended 3-4 months you cannot just stop it or the lashes will return to the pre Latisse appearance.  One needs to taper the medication and instead of using it every day one can try every other night or every third night.  Without a maintenance dose the lashes will return to the pre Latisse appearance.

David Freilich, MD
Englewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

How long does Latisse last?

In my practice, I find that most patients begin to see results after approximately 2-3 weeks of using Latisse each night, with optimal results occurring at week 12.  Once a patients desired lash length is achieved, I recommend using Latisse 2-3 times a week to maintain results.  If a patient discontinues the use of Latisse, they should expect their lashes to return to their original length and thickness within 8-12 weeks.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasts the period of an average eyelash hair cycle

Latisse is generally applied once a day. By 8 weeks, one can expect thicker, fuller, longer and darker lashes. Full results can be seen by 4 months. Once Latisse is stopped, the eyelashes will gradually return to baseline. This occurs during a period of an average lash hair cycle which may take anywhere from weeks to months.

Shalini Kapoor, MD
Los Angeles Ophthalmologist

Is Latisse Permanent?

Latisse only affects the growing eyelash hairs so the results are not permanent. There are approximately 100 to 150 eyelashes on each upper eyelid. The growth of eyelashes is cyclical, going through 3 stages: a growth phase, a transition phase, and a resting phase. At any given time, numerous hair follicles can be found in each of the different stages. The growth phase of an average eyelash hair is approximately 1 to 2 months. Latisse has been shown to increase the amount of time each eyelash hair remains in the growing phase. The application of Latisse has also been scientifically proven to increase the thickness of eyelash hair as well as the darkness of each hair. This is most likely due to an increased production of pigment within each hair follicle. Once you stop using Latisse, you r eyelashes will gradually return to their former length over several months.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse results aren't permanent

When you stop using the medication, the lashes slowly change back to their less full state. Allergan has a good drug here it seems....good for them.

OK so I am a bit of a cynic, but a nice one!

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Latisse is not permanent and the effects will wear off after stopping in 4-6 weeks.

Latisse is meant to be used continuously. Once you begin, you are essentially committing to use it as long as you want thicker, fuller, longer lashes. It takes approximately 4-8 weeks of continual use to see the beneficial effects once you start, and then 4-6 weeks to lose these effects once you stop. It would be interesting to see, once more people use it for a while, if using Latisse every other day might be effective at preventing this loss of effect. BUT, for right now, using it once EVERY day is the recommended dosing regimen to get your desired effects.

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Latisse results are not permanent

The results will last as long as you are using the drops. Once you are happy with the way your lashes look, you can stop using it and after a while your lashes will return to their normal length. Latisse is the only prescription treatment for eyelash growth that is FDA approved and is only available at doctors' offices. Besides making the lashes longer and fuller, Latisse also makes them darker, which sets it apart from other brands.

Great and Long Lasting Results

When Latisse is started it takes about 2 to 3 months for the eyelashes to achieve maximal length and thickening.Once this point has been reached most patients are started on a maintenance routine that utilizes less Latisse.
It’s important to realize that Latisse doesn’t permanently lengthen the eyelashes.When Latisse is discontinued it usually takes about 2 to 3 months for patients to return to their baseline.