Lumigan As an Alternative to Latisse?

How likely are doctors to prescribe Lumigan off-label for the same use as Latisse (it's cheaper)?

Lumigan vs Latisse

+2

I am not sure if there is an element of fraud when prescribing lumigan to grow lashes. For example Viagra is also used for pulmonary hypertension. When it is prescribed as that medicine (different name) the insurance covers it however the same insurance may not cover it if it is for erectile dysfunction. By using it for a different reason than prescribed, it would be considered insurance fraud. I am not sure if a provider would be ok to risk their license just to get you cheaper latisse.

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Latisse versus Lumigan

+2

While these products are made by the same company, and are the exact same medication and strength, you have to have a diagnosis of Glaucoma in order to get Lumigan through your pharmacy. It would not be appropriate for any physician to "misdiagnose" you in order for you to get longer eyelashes covered by your prescription plan.

Anthony J. Kameen, MD
Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Not much difference but it will not happen.

+2

Yes, Lumigan for glaucoma is exactly, exactly the same medication down to the bottle. However, it is FDA approved for glaucoma, not eyelash enhancement. And doctors will not likely prescribe it off label when there is an on label option. Also, the Latisse comes with the correct applicators that were used in the trials. Finally, there would be no cost savings unless a doctor prescribed the Lumigan for a non-existent glaucoma and that will just never happen. Be happy that you can get Latisse, on label, for its approved purpose.

Jon Dishler, MD
Denver Ophthalmologist

Not a good idea...

+2

In order to get Lumigan, which is a drug for glaucoma, there will be some issues to address. First is that it's not approved for eyelash tretament by the FDA, second is that pharmacies and insurance companies will know that the script came from a non-ophthalmologist, and that the drug is liekly NOT being used for glaucoma treatment.

I doubt they will appreciate paying for their portion if insurance is used.

So I for one don't want all that hassle and will prescribe only Latisse for eyelash treatment.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Latisse is a better value than Lumigan

+1

Unless you are buying it from outside the U.S. or your insurance is covering it (which they only will if you are using it for glaucoma), Lumigan is usually MORE expensive than Latisse because it comes in a 2.5 ml bottle while Latisse is in 3 ml bottle.  The price per bottle is very similar and sometimes more for Lumigan.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse and Lumigan

+1

I agree, as an ophthalmologist and cosmetic surgeon, Lumigan is meant for glaucoma patients.  Even though it is the same active ingredient (bimatoprost), unless there is a pre-existing condition of glaucoma, it is considered fraud to write it for non glaucomatous reasons.  The good news is that there is Latisse, meant for lash growth and appropriate to write for this indication.

Raminder Saluja, MD
Huntersville Ophthalmologist