Is Laser Lipolysis a Better Option?

What about "Laser Lipolysis"? Is it more expensive and more involved? Is it safe and is it WORTH it? Thanks.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

I like laser lipolysis but choice of provider is more important.

+1

This is a good question.  First, you have to understand that laser lipolysis,because it is an in office procedure, can be performed by physicians that do not have the same training and background as board certified plastic surgeons.  In addition in not having the years of training,these physicians cannot discuss with you alternatives that may be better for you such as tummy tucks if you are considering abdominal lipo or facelifts if you are considering neck lipo.

I do think that the laser does add an element of skin tightening in some cases.  I do like it in my practice.  But I agree with one of the answers below that the surgeon is more important than the tool, therefore if you are considering laser lipo, you should still go and see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Web reference: http://marylandliposuction.com/

Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction

+1

In the right hands, laser lipolysis is worth the investment if the practitioner is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and also has the option of Vaser  as well.  The laser is good for small areas and average for large areas, the Vaser is very good to excellent.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Why is Laser Lipolysis not the best idea for many patients.

+1

Laser liposuctions have had some very disappointing results and are losing favor among most serious lipo docs.  The increased risks of skin puckering, skin burns and discolorations have made it a less used method of liposuction and the prices have dropped dramatically accordingly.  There are some docs that can do a good job with laser liposuctions but definitely get several consults and don't go cheap since you get what you pay for in liposuctions and laser lipos tend to be the cheapest now.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/drdavidhansen/landing/

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

SmartLipo can be a great option

+1

Laser lipolysis, for example, SmartLipo, allows in certain cases better skin retraction after the procedure. It is safe and can be performed in an office setting safely with great results.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction?

+1

Laser liposuction is a newer technology but that does not mean that it gives better results. See a Board Certified plastic surgeon for a detailed consultation. Be wary of the marketing and hype surrounding "Laser Lipo" and "Smart Lipo" since there is no data that the results are better (but the cost may be higher).

Web reference: http://DrGutowski.com

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Laser lipolysis has yet to prove its value

+1

At this point in time it is really very difficult to answer this question with any certainty. Althught the use of lasers is very exciting and impressive, it may add very little benefit to fat extraction. Furthermore the claims of greater skin contraction is anectodal and unproven.

Laser fibers are small and in instances where alot of fat needs to be extracted, it can take considerably longer time. Questions remain on whether the fat should be suctioned after exposure to the laser energy.

I tend to see paitents that have had the procedure and are dissatisfied with the results and so I am reluctant to advocate this technology at this point in time.

Laser lipolysis

+1

Laser lipolysis is a great marketing tool that is being offered to perform liposuction with the suggestion that skin tightening also occurs. As I always say, it is not the wand but the magician waving it that gets you the great result.  Many different liposuction techniques can give you a great result.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.