Nd:YAG and Diode for Bikini Area Hair Removal?

I am not pure Caucasian. My mother is Eastern Asian and my father is Caucasian/Middle-Eastern. Therefore, the labial areas are brownish-pink, while the surrounding areas are slightly whitish-tan colored. Should I ask them to use a combination of Nd:YAG and diode for bikini area laser hair removal? Or can the entire area (labial and rest of bikini) be done all using diode only? Thanks again for your time.

Bikini hair removal in darker skin

+1

Dear Halfasian09,

Both the Nd:YAG and the diode can be used for hair removal in this area. The diode will provide you a quicker result (fewer sessions) however there is definitely a risk of hyperpigmentation or scarring because of your combination ancestry. I would recommend a test spot in the underarm area or in the bikini area itself. The key thing here is for you to go to a physician with experience in laser hair removal (as opposed to an aesthetician in a spa) because the laser settings will have to be very specific to your skin type.

Good luck,

Dr. Mariwalla

New Haven Dermatologic Surgeon

You should consider havig test spots done

+1

The diode might be somewhat more effective with less treatment sessions, but it would be worth having test spots with different energy settings to see how your skin responds prior to your first treatment. These tests can be done with both lasers for you and your physician to see the results and then decide on the best laser for you.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com