Laser Hair Removal Vs. IPL for South Asian Skin?

What would work better for hair removal in South Asian skin (dark and coarse hair), Laser Hair Removal or IPL? I have read mixed reviews about both and I am really confused. I want to know which one actually works better. Please help clear my confusion as I can't seem to believe what I have been told during consultation because I feel they just want to make money. Thanks.

Laser Hair Removal for South Asian Skin

+1

Dear Sona,

While it is important to choose the most effective method in laser hair removal, it is also important to consider the safety, especially in skin of color like South Asian Skin. I would strongly caution against an IPL for hair removal for this reason. The safest lasers are long-pulse diode and Long-pulse Nd:YAG because their wavelengths are long enough to bypass damage to the surrounding surface of the skin. You should also have pre- and post-cooling protection for added safety. You may require many treatments to have a significant reduction in hair growth.

Good luck!

Dark skin types aren't the best for IPL or laser hair removal.

+1

Dear Sona,

What part of your body are you looking to treat? Coarse, fast-growing hair like lip, chin, underarm, and bikini respond the best. Sun avoidance is critical, and you may need 10 or more treatments with your skin type to get a desired result. Your darker skin also increases your risk of burn, and change in skin color. If you decide to buy a package, go to an experienced doctor with an appropriate light device.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon