IPL Vs Cynosure for Hair Removal?

I am considering Laser hair removal, and I want to know the best laser to use for light brown skin. Please advise. Thank you.

Best Laser Hair Removal Treatment

+1

Thank you for your question. A wide variety of medical lasers and light systems are used to remove unwanted hair, however most lasers are not effective for all skin types and hair colors. The Elos laser hair removal system is designed for permanent hair reduction by combining both optical and radiofrequency energy to deliver satisfying, longer lasting results with less discomfort than previous laser systems. All skin and all hair colors including gray and blonde hair are effectively treated. Faces, backs, arms, legs, faces, and bikini lines can be treated including those individuals with darkly pigmented skin. Treatments are administered every 4 weeks and generally 3 to 5 treatments are sufficient. Best of luck! 

Palomar StarLux IPL is highly effective for hair removal

+1

Dear Sweeta,

IPL and laser are both FDA approved, effective means of getting rid of unwanted hair.

Here's some important points:

• The hair must be darker than the surrounding skin.
  • Dark, coarse, fast-growing hair like lip, chin, underarm, and bikini respond the best.
  • Finer slow growing leg and arm hair is less likely to be a rewarding experience, especially in the summer; you have to keep treated areas out of the sun with any light-based system.
  • It takes between 6 and 10 treatments to get optimal results.

I hope this is helpful, and best regards.

Web reference: http://ericmjoseph.com/index.cfm/PageID/5247

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cynosure is definitely better than IPL for hair removal

+1

Dear Sweeta,

Excellent question! The answer is clear that laser is more effective than IPL for permanent hair reduction.

In particular, the Cynosure Elite laser which has both Alexandrite and NdYag wavelengths. These wavelengths are specific for the melanin in dark hair follicles & will have less chance of unnecessarily having an effect on the surrounding skin.

For light brown skin such as yours, the NdYag is the best choice. A big word of caution however, go to an experienced physician for your treatments! Especially here in NY, a lot of these laser centers do not even have a physician overseeing the treatments.

Darker skin is at greater risk for absorbing the laser or IPL energy & therefore get burnt or darken. You want to be treated by a caring physcian only. For instance, in my office, I personally treat all the patients. The treatments are comfortable, painless and very effective.

Many physician offices offer prices comparable to these laser centers so do not be lured by low prices. Your safety is the most important. Laser hair removal is absolutely great & with the right machine & right physician, you will do great!

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.