Bumps Under Eye After Laser Blepharoplasty

I had laser blepharoplasty under my eyes five days agao. The bruising has gone but under one of my eyes I have bumps underneath the skin. The procedure was using a laser inserted underneath the eye (top of cheek) and then the fat melted and left to be absorbed by the body. Is this normal?

Laser Blepharoplasty

+1

Nicola,

Thanks for your question.  It is early in your recovery process so I would not be overly concerned with the bumps you are seeing underneath your skin but I would certainly recommend you return to your surgeon who performed the procedure so that the issue may  be completely assessed.  Laser blepharoplasty can involve several different techniques each with a unique recovery profile and your surgeon will know best if what you are seeing is normal or should be addressed.

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
LeBeau Clinic

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps under eye after Laser Eyelid Surgery

+1

Eyelid Surgery has historically been performed by making an incision, locating and dissecting out the two fat bags in the upper eyelids and three in the lower eyelids.  This is a very precise and immediate process by which the fat pads are removed to the appropriate amount.

Using a laser that generates heat as a mechanism to melt and remove the fat does not, IMHO, seem anywhere near as precise in its ability to remove fat.  The lumps could be from the heat and resulting inflammation caused within the lower eyelid tissues or could be residual fat that was not completely removed.

Wait several weeks to see what the eyelid contour looks like, swelling should subside but residual fat bags will still appear as lumps.  As always, if you have any questions or concerns you should contact and go back and see the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your surgery.

Laser Eyelid Surgery

+1

It is too soon after surgery to get worried.  If you post before and after pictures, we can comment more specifically.  If you think something is wrong, then you need to follow up with your surgeon sooner rather than later.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Lumps under eye after laser eyelid surgery.

+1

Lumps under eye after laser eyelid surgery can be due to many things depending on EXACTLY what was done. It is too early to make any statement due to swelling. See your surgeon to explain why you have this.

Bumps After Eyelid Surgery

+1

Nicola,

It is not unusual to have some bumpiness so soon after eyelid surgery.  You need to wait at least a month to get an idea of what your final result will be.

Also, many patients think that the result of surgery performed with a laser will be significantly different than that of a laser performed with standard instruments.  However, the use of laser should not affect your long term outcome.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Laser blepheroplasty bumps

+1

Was the laser used to cut the skin or to melt the fat pads as in laser liposuction. In either case you need to allow more time but, you should return to your doctor with these questions.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Laser and Blepharoplasty

+1

5 days post op is really early after Eyelid surgery and swelling is to be expected. the swelling is not always the same from one side to the other, so don't be surprised if one eyelid is more bumpy than the other. The swelling should get better after 2 weeks. 

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD

Blepharoplasty

+1

You are still very early after having your eyelid surgery. The bruising usually disappears earlier than the swelling. It is hard to know what is causing the bumps at this time, and they may very well resolve after a few weeks.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon