19 Years Old - Where Did These Eye Bags Come From?? and What Are my Options?

Right around my 19th birthday, and strangely coinciding with the onset of my insomnia, I noticed what appeared to be the start of eye bags. I've been sleeping fine for over 4 months now, but they haven't gone away. My mom has something similar so I guess it's genetic, but 19 just feels so young to have eye bags. When I smile, I no longer have distinguishable lower eyelids; everything kind of just bunches up. It's really upsetting, and I feel like I look tired all the time. What are my options?

What causes eye bags?

+3

There are several causes of bagginess of the eyelids

1. swelling - allergies are the number one cause

2. volume loss - when you lose volume in the central part of the cheek ( over the eye socket bone) it can give the impression that you have baggy eyelids

3.pigmentation - pigmentation overlying the bone can also give the impression that you have baggy eyelids. This can be caused by sun damage or simply thin skin with the underlying muscle showing through

4. fat - at your age it would be unusal to see excess fat as the cause but certainly a possibility

19 year old with hereditary eye bags

+2

Eye bags occurs in teens who are genetically predisposed to them and are hereditary.  You didn't do anything to get them and when they bother you enough, a lower eyelid surgery can remove them. 

Video on Eye bag treatment: Eye bags are based on some genetics but most people have some element of it

+2

Eye bags are based on some genetics but most people have some element of it. I wouldn't blame mother. Eye bags happen to almost everyone and it starts in the 20's. The cause is the volume loss under your eyelid fat. The eyelid fat doesn't get absorbed by the body and thus looks like it has grown. But it really is a loss of volume underneath it that accentuates it. Traditionally, people tended to remove the eyelid bags. This was not really treating the cause of what made them appear. The more natural way is to fill the volume loss. The options temporarily include fillers like restylane, perlane, juvederm. Long term options include fat injections, the young volumizer, implants in this area.  Because you haven't had anything done I would start with fillers before moving on to more longer lasting options.

Thanks for reading, Dr Young

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your bags are genetic-Thanks Mom!

+2

Your circles are not because you are not sleeping.  They are not because you have allergies.  They are not because you have excessive pigment in your skin.  They are related to lack of bone support at the top of the cheek.  This lack of support is related to the cheek soft tissue settling at the top of the cheek contributing to the lower eyelid hollow.  FIllers rather than surgery is best for addressing this issue.

Regarding the insomnia, this is not normal for a 19 year old.  You should discuss this with your family doctor.  Insomnia can be associated with depression, a treatable medical condition.

19 Years Old - Where Did These Eye Bags Come From?? and What Are my Options ? GENETIC

+1

I believe that your condition is genetic. You also seem to describe overactive orbicular muscles (lower eyelid muscles). I do not agree that surgery can easily correct this condition since it has many facets.

The first facet is volume replacement. Very careful fat transfer in skilled hands can replace the volume causing the hollowness. Very slight amount of strained fat on top of the muscle can hide some of the purple discoloration, but needs to be done in minute amounts carefully placed. I would not go for full correction with just one surgery.

Dr. Seare

William J. Seare, MD
Carlsbad Plastic Surgeon

Undereye bags in a 19 year old

+1

You have nothing but bad luck and genetics to blame. In your case, either transconjuctival blepharoplasty (permanent) or injectable filling of the tear trough (temporary and reversible) are excellent options.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye bags

+1

Your eye bags are multifactorial related to genetics, anatomy and maybe environmental causes.  You are doing nothing wrong.  There are non-surgical options which you should discuss with family and then a qualified specialist in these treatments (fillers).  Best of luck

Dr. Massry

Guy Massry, MD

Hollowing under the eyes can be genetic

+1

This really looks like hollowing under the eye and could be somewhat genetic.  A lot of people are born with lack of support in the mid face which often can become worse at an early age and cause some dark circles.  Fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane can be very helpful.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon