Three Months Post Upper Blepharoplasty I Still Experience Numbness. Will This Improve?

My upper eyelid surgery turned out visually great! I have concern with numbness of the actual eyelid itself. It is mostly evident when applying mascara. Will the "numb" feeling improve or is it a permanent end result of the procedure?

Numbness Post Bleph

+1

Most patients typically experience varying degrees of numbness following upper eyelid blepharoplasty. With time, your post-op numbness will decrease and you will regain full sensation.  Most of
my patients note the return to normal sensation between 2-3 months
following  upper eyelid blepharoplasty.

Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Numbness 3 months after upper eyelid surgery

+1

The numbness should come back and really should anytime now.  The cutaneous sensory nerves that are cut, during the upper eyelid surgery, all reconnect bringing normal sensation back to the area.  This typically occurs within several months post-op.

Numbness post blepharoplasty

+1

Numbness following any skin surgeries at the level of the scar and around it is quite normal. Such numbness may last up to 6 - 8 months. Following Blepharoplasty it is normal to have a numb area between the incision and the eyelashes margins, it will resolve around 6-8 months. 

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD

Video on Eyelid Surgery, The numbness should improve after blepharoplasty

+1

The numbness should improve in time. This occurance is unusual after blepharoplasty. The return could take up to 6 months to a year depending on where the interruption in the nerve fibers occured. The nerves grow at a rate of about 1mm a day in the best of conditions.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid numbness after Blepharoplasty is almost always temporary but can take months to resolve

+1

Small sensory (feeling) nerves are damaged during skin removal with Upper Blepharoplasty. This causes numbness of the eyelid.

Numbness of the eyelid after Blepharoplasty is nearly always temporary but may take months to resolve

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Numbness after Blepharoplasty is normal

+1

The numbness you are experienceing after your blepharoplasty is quite normal.  Generally speaking the numbness will last 3-6 months and is usually noticed in the central portion of the lid.  This is often first noticed in women as they begin to apply mascara.

I would be patient as this should resolve soon.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

The numbness can be permanent.

+1

Sensory nerves and motor nerves are cut in the process of performing a blepharoplasty.  The sensory nerves often but not aways recover and seem to regrow.  This process can take many months.  However, after about 6 months, if sensation has not recovered then the it is less likely that this sensation will return.  Motor nerve injuries are even less likely to recover.  Generally over time, patchy sensation loss is less bothersome to most people.

Numbness after eyelid surgery -- it will (almost) certainly improve

+1

I believe that full sensation returns in almost all cases but may take up to 12 to 18 months after surgery for this to occur.  Of course there are no guarantees but I think the odds are greatly in your favor that the numb feeling will go away with time.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

The numbness associated with incison line should improve with time. Generally, the healing of most wounds take approximately 6-9 months.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon