Why Do the Same Amount of Ccs Look Different on Many Women?

I am 5'8'' 170lbs with broad-ish shoulders and I am thinking about getting 500cc silicone but when I look up pictures to see what I may look like, they give some women a C cup and some a DD cup. Why is this? And do you think that 500ccs will fit with my body frame?

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Sizing is the best way to determine implant volume

+1

As a part of consultation we offer the opportunity to size patients with different implant “sizers”. Many patients are surprised how different they look from their friends with implants of the same amount of ml. First of all every patients has a different amount of breast tissue to begin with. It will make a big difference if we add 400cc to A cup or a B cup. We have different body frames, some patients are tall or short, and have narrow or broad shoulders or hips. We all have different body weight. Therefore it is very important to pick that one size that fits our body type. During the consultation your surgeon will discuss if chosen implant size and type is a preferred one. There are times that the size is way too big and it is quite impossible to fit it in the chest wall. Please make sure you have the opportunity to  discuss your options.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Implant CCs

+1

Every woman's body type, frame, and dimensions are different. I often recommend that it is more important for patients to decide on the look you want and then discuss that with your surgeon during your in person consultation. Your surgeon will be able to help you determine which size implants will give you the results you want.

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Implants and cup size

+1

First, implants of the same volume can look different on differnt patients of different size. Furthermore, bra manufacturing is not standardized and are all different.

Implants of a given volume are likely to a different unlimited different stature.

+1

A 500 mL implant in a woman 4'11" tall weighing 100 pounds will look completely different on a woman 6 feet tall weighing hundred and 40 pounds. It is the responsibility of the surgeon to determine what volume implant will give the desired effect requested by the patient.

Different Breast Implants Create Different Look?

+1

You are absolutely correct in that the same breast implants may achieve a very different outcome for different patients. Much will depend on each individual patient starting point. For example, patients may start off with a different volume of breast tissue natively, different chest wall contour ( concave versus convex)  and more or less breast skin elasticity.

The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

+1

The primary reason is the size at which they start. A 500 cc implant placed in a patient who starts as a C cup will obviously result in a size larger than a C--more likely a DD. A women starting as an AA or A might more likely wind up as a C cup. Other factors than just cup size will also play a role, including breast width, skin elasticity. Final size is not completely predictable. 

As to the suitability of a 500 cc implant for you, that is best determined in a surgeon's office. Without photos it is hard to offer a guess that is of any use at all. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

One implant will look totally different on different people

+1

Because of the differences in body dimensions, tissue amounts and elasticity, one implant will look totally different on differnt folks.  That is why you can never choose an implant size based on the cc's shown in photos.  What you need to do is determine the "look" you want and then go to an experienced plastic surgeon who can help to translate the look into the right implant.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS