How Many Kenalog Injections Are Ideal After Rhinoplasty?

I had my first rhinoplasty last year and the doctor gave me a kenalog injection a week post-op and another 5 months later, but scar tissue started to form 2-3 months post-op. I had a revision last week to have scar tissue removed and my doctor just gave me an injection. Should I ask for another injection? I want to do anything I can to prevent excess scar tissue from forming again. How many injections do doctors that use kenalog usually give their patients after surgery and when?

Kenalog injections after rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

There is no standard number of Kenalog injections that one should have following surgery. It really depends on how your body responds to the injections. Most surgeons use as many injections as is necessary to achieve an adequate result or until there is no further progress.  This could be just one injection or several injections. Most surgeons space the injections over the course of several weeks (4-6 weeks) in between injections. Good luck with your healing.

Dr.Sunder

Steroid injections after rhinoplasty

+1

The ideal number is zero but if it is necessary, I never give more than 2 injections, 6 weeks apart.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

The Best Time and Ideal Number of Kenalog Injections After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Looking,

The ideal number of Kenalog injections after rhinoplasty is 0.  Kenalog can be injected after rhinoplasty in hopes of decreasing swelling and the formation of scar tissue.  There is no ideal time or number of injections.  The timing and frequency of Kenalog injections should be determined by your surgeon, assuming that your surgeon is skilled and experienced in rhinoplasty.  I hope that your nose heals well.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

You should follow your Rhinoplasty surgeon's recommendations

+1

You should follow your Rhinoplasty surgeons recommendations as you are still under his/her care in the acute post op phase of your Revision Rhinoplasty.  Now, IMHO, is not the time to go go doc shopping for other advice or recommendations as no one here has any knowledge of what was done to your nose during these two Rhinoplasties and as such should not offer any advice.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Kenalog cannot make a result good by itself

+1

My basic rule for myself is that it is my job to get the nose just right--that means good tip shape and support.  If I have done so, Kenalog is never necessary.  Kenalog can reduce temporary swelling but cannot make inadequate tip shape into good tip shape.  That is the job of the cartilages, and therefore the surgeon.

Wait for your healing.  "Scar  tissue" may not be the cause of your tip shape; it may be not enough, or not well-shaped, tip cartilages.  If so, you should see an experienced surgeon whom you trust and who can demonstrate in photos of patients with similar problems that he or she can fix your nasal tip.

Good luck.

Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Kenalog after rhinoplasty

+1

There is no hard rule to how many and how often. I also will inject after the first week in patients who I think have thick skin and are at high risk for scar tissue to form and blunt the result. I'll repeat it at 3-4 weeks if I still think that there is swelling that will respond to it.  In ocasional patients I may repeat it again at 3 months but this is not routine for me. Other surgeons have their own routine based on their experience. Some may never do it. Regardless the decision has to be based on what your surgeon thinks is best in your case, not how often others do it.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is best to have Kenalog injection early post operative period when scar is forming to prevent its formation. Your surgeon is the best person to decide when is the right time to have this done.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgery4you.com

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kennalog after rhinoplasy

+1

Unfortunately, steroid injections do not always work. When they seem to improve scar formation,I inject every two weeks until no further improvement  is seen.

Web reference: http://www.drbray.com

Kenalog after rhinoplasty

+1

I agree with Dr. Funk.  Kenalog should be used after rhinoplasty only if needed.  In cases where it is needed, I will usually inject after a month to allow acute swelling and edema to improve prior to injection.  There are patients who tend to develop thickened scar tissue after rhinoplasty and it sounds like you are, unfortunately, one of them.  Kenalog is particularly useful in reducing and thinning this immature scar tissue if injected before the scar tissue matures and becomes more organized and resistant to kenalog.  It does not reduce bony deformities or major cartilage deformities and should not be used for those situations. 

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal number of Kenalog injections after rhinoplasty

+1

The ideal number of Kenalog injections after rhinoplasty is none. The Kenalog at best is an attempt to thin the skin and subcutaneous tissue and perhaps some scar in the area just above the tip called the supra-tip. The causes of a supra-tip bump are many, and most are related to technical issues with the planning and execution of the procedure. Kenalog can 'save the day' for a few and prevent revision, though the best is to avoid the need altogether.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty