Juvederm and Rheumatoid Arthritis

can i get juvederm injections in verticle lip lines and nasal folds even though i have rheumatoid arthritis?rheumatoid arthritis is an auto immune disease.

Juvederm and Restylane are normally approved by rheumatologists

+1

My patients with rheumatoid arthritis have not ever had their rheumatologists say they couldn't have Restylane or Juvederm injected. In the olden days ( about ten years ago) collagen from cow hide was injected as fillers and there was controversy that these fillers could cause collagen-vascular disorders. Todays fillers, Restylane and Juvederm, are hyaluronic acids. They are not the same as collagen.

No contraindications for Fillers and Autoimmune disorders

+1

No contraindications for Fillers used on patients with autoimmune disorders. They are made to assimilate hyaluronic acid, already found in the body.

Regardless, when you are ready to undergo any esthetic procedure, it is best to have a consultation with a board certified cosmetic doctor or dermatologist who you trust. They will give you the honest answers for your unique situation (your starting point, your objectives and your budget). It is at this consultation that you will really find out if this is a good procedure for you, not just whether you can have it.

At the Victoria Park Medispa, we take off the consultation fee from any appointment booked, therefore reducing a client’s risk of having a treatment performed without taking the time to think about what they really want. Any esthetic tool needs to be in the right hands, to achieve the best possible results.

Steven Bernstein, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Autoimmune disease and Botox

+1

I'd want a clearance from your immunologist and even then, I think you should be conservative doing anything because you don't want to aggrevate your autoimmune disease.  Ask your immunologist if some Botox to these vertical lip lines would be better for your particular case.  It works great and I have done it for patients for over 15 years.

Hyaluronic Acid fillers safe in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients

+1

I have injected patients who have rheumatoid arthritis and are on methotrexate with the hyaluronic acid fillers without any problems. I recommend abstaining from the NSAIDs and Aspirin to prevent bruising, but no other special precautions need to be taken.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

No contraindication for Juvederm if you have rheumatoid arthritis

+1

I agree with all of my colleagues above, there is no clear contraindication to juvederm injections if you have rheumatoid arthritis. I usually warn my patients that if they have had any Aspirin or Ibuprofen or other NSAIDs, the risk of bruising is higher.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

No Problem Having Juvederm if have Rheumatoid Arthritis

+1

There is no reason you cannot get Juvederm (or Restylane or Radiesse) injections to fill nasolabial folds if you have RA.  One caveat is that NSAID's can lead to increased temporary bruising after filler injections, so be sure to let your physician injector know if you are taking one of these medications for your RA.  Also, if your immune system is suppressed and you are prone to shingles or cold sores, get a prescription to premedicate with an antiviral, such as Valtrex.

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

No contraindication for Juvederm in rheumatoid arthritis patients

+1

Juvederm is a non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid dermal filler.  Hyaluronic acid is a natural part of our skin's soft tissues.

There are patients that should not have Juvederm injections, such as patients with multiple severe allergies, or allergies to Gram positive bacteria, but there are no contraindications for patients with rheumatoid arthritis.

There were suspicions previously that collagen (not hyaluronic acid) injections may lead to the development of connective tissue diseases like lupus or scleroderma, but those theories have been dispelled for the most part. 

No such suspicions exist for hyaluronic acids.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

There is no evidence that hyaluronic acids are contraindicated in RA

+1

Dear Meshel

You should be fine with the Juevederm injections.  However, it is important to understand that everyone reacts differently to this products.  Further, some individuals are taking medications for Rheumatoid arthritis that effectively suppress the immune system.  This may increase your risk for infection.  You actual treating physician will make decisions and recommendations based on intimate knowledge of your health status and treatment.  Consequently they may or may not recommend a particular treatment based on the facts of your particular situation. 

Juvederm Lip and Nasolabial Fold Treatment in Patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis

+1

Dermal filler Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid gel and is not contraindicated in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. You should be able to receive Juvederm treatments to improve vertical lip lines and smooth out nasolabial folds without concern.

As always, keep your primary care provider and rheumatologist up to date on all procedures you are undergoing, aesthetic or otherwise. 

Anifat Balogun, MD