How Often Should I Get Juverderm Treatments for Frown Lines?

I am 31 and I am beginning to see frown lines. Once I start getting Jeverderm treatments, how often should I get them? Is there a health risk to getting these treatments over a long period of time?

How often should you get Juvederm treatements for frown lines?

+1
  • Your frown lines are caused by years and years of repeated contractions of the Corrugator muscles.  This in turn causes a thinning of the overlying fat and skin - creating wrinkles.  The ideal treatment will include both Juvederm AND Botox.
  • Juvederm is a fabulous Hyaluronic Acid filler - and will do well filling these fine wrinkles.  The problem is, that without Botox, the muscles in this area will still contract - and the Juvederm will be forced out of the area, therefore reversing a good correction. 
  • Adding Botox, which will smooth the collapsed wrinkles, then using Juvederm to fill in the lost fat causing the wrinkles, results in a smooth and plump area.  The Juvederm will stay put, since the Botox has temporarily paralyzed the area muscles, and the treatment will last much longer than either Juvederm or Botox used alone. 
  • Botox lasts about 3-6 months, Juvederm can lasts 6 months, combining the two products can actually make your treatment provides much longer results than either product would alone.
  • However, you need to see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon in person, to have your unique situation evaluated and treated.

Houston Dermatologist

Juvederm frequency of treatments for frown lines

+1

You should start with Botox which stops the movement of the muscles that cause the frown lines.  Wait a few weeks and if the lines are still prominent, you can have a filler such as Juvederm injected into the lines.  If you keep up with your Botox injections about every 4 months or so, the Juvederm may last for years.  You should be treated by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm treatment for frown lines is often best when combined with BOTOX

+1

Juvederm treatment for frown lines is often best when combined with BOTOX. This way you often don’t need to repeat the Juvederm treatments. The BOTOX can simply be continued about 3 times a year. Or, if you’re young, even twice a year will suffice. Juvederm by itself in the frown lines doesn’t work as well because the muscle action causes it to absorb. On average it lasts about 6 months, but combining it with BOTOX makes it last longer and additional treatment is needed less often. Frown lines are the result of over action of the muscle. BOTOX can treat the cause of the condition while Juvederm creates a smooth look.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Frown lines best treated with Botox

+1

The frown lines are best treated with Botox. Fillers would be my second choice only after Botox did not give sufficient response.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers

+1

All of the fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane will help to treat the nasal fold lines and marionette line and fine lines around the mouth.  They work well over time.  Most patients will have this done once or twice per year. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Frown Lines and Juvederm

+1

For the frown lines (creases between the eyebrows) I would highly recommend a neurotoxin like Botox or Dysport as first choice before resorting to fillers like Juvederm.  If the line can't be smoothed out to your satisfaction with the Botox/Dysport then Juvederm can be added to the creases to improve them further but most patients are quite happy without the addition of filler.   You shouldn't have any issues with long term use of either Botox/Dysport or Juvederm. You don't have to frown any more.

Dr. Grant Stevens         

Grant Stevens, MD

Newport Beach Botox before Juvederm

+1
I would first treat the frown line area with Botox and try and relax the muscles that are contracting which are the cause of the frown lines. In Newport Beach, California where I practice we have a lot of the same issues with our patients from down under concerning frown lines and squinting lines due to sun exposure. Botox or Dysport are both ideal for treating these areas. The treatments usually last three to four months. Juvederm I typically use for the nasolabial or smile lines, lips, and under eye area. Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid which is a substance found naturally in the body and there are no long term side effects of it's usage. I hope this is helpful to you in your decision making process. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Juvederm for Frown Lines

+1

Unless you have frown lines without forehead movement, I would not use Juvederm. I would use Botox to limit the lines of animation. Juvederm lasts about 1 year, the Botox is effective for about 3-4 months. There are no problems with repeated injections. 

Botox, Dysport, Wrinkle Treatment, Beverly Hills Botox Dysport, Los Angeles Botox Dysport, Juvederm

+1

I have used Botox for over 20 years to soften frown lines and don't recommend fillers like Juvederm, Restylane or Perlane for their treatment for the following reasons.

• The muscles causing the frown lines respond very well to injections of Botox or Dysport that take only a few minutes with very little if any bruising and swelling.  The effects last about 3-4 months and can be repeated as often as needed.  Millions of Botox treatments have been performed worldwide and have been found to be highly effective and safe.  This is the treatment of choice for frown lines IMO.
  • The frown lines ( area between the eyebrows called the Glabella) has a nerve, atery and vein running through each side of the Glabellar region.  If a filler is used, it is possible for the filler to impinge on the thin walled vein causing tissue injury and slough in a quarter-sized area in the central forehead region.  Hence, the use of fillers in the Glabellar region is contraindicated IMO.

Frown lines

+1

Try Botox first. Usually the hyperactive muscle is the cause of the lines. This muscle can be relaxed with Botox.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon