What is the Recovery Time for Voluma in Upper Cheeks?

Hi, I have recently - 3 days ago, had Juvederm Voluma in my upper cheeks to correct quite pronounced flatness. After 3 days they are very tender, & though no bruise is visable, seem quite pronounced and very hard. More so on one side. My Derm has advised they will soften, not to massage, but just leave well enough alone (and take arnica). I am very surprised at the hardness.. & a little worried! Is it possible that the size will indeed subside? Can bruising & swelling cause hardness? Thank you!

Voluma is a much thicker filler than other HA's

Juvederm Voluma is a much thicker and more robust filler than other hyaluronic filler products which is why it is so effective for deflated cheeks and mid face rejuvenation. It is not uncommon for the cheeks to feel swollen after treatment and even a hardness in the treated area. The healing can take a few days to a week, so it is not uncommon to have swelling 3 day post-op. The side effects to look out at this point in time would be worsening swelling and redness, worsening tenderness, fever or any other signs of an infection. If your symptoms are getting worse, it is advisable to call your physician and have them evaluate the treated area.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma tenderness should dissipate quickly

Juvederm Voluma is a uniquely dense hyaluronic acid filler. That’s why it is ideal for volumizing severely sunken and hollow cheeks. That’s also why Voluma delivers results that last up to two years. Additionally, this density accounts for why cheek areas treated with Voluma may feel swollen and stiff for 3-7 days after the injections. This swelling and tenderness is normal; however, if your symptoms persist and worsen, you may have an infection and you should see your doctor immediately.

Hal Michael Bass, MD

Tender Cheeks after Juvedrm Voluma Injection

I tell my patients that it will take a full 10 days to 2 weeks for the tenderness and swelling to subside after Juvederm injection, and for your final results to be apparent.  Tenderness at 3 days after injection is quite normal, as is the "firmness" that you're feeling.  Firmness can be felt with all hyaluronic acid products (Juvederm, Restylane, and Perlane) initially, and Juvederm Voluma is the thickest of these products, so firmness at this stage is expected.  I agree- don't massage, just wait it out.  Incidentally, I also use Juvederm Voluma in the temples- to fill temporal hollowing.  With Voluma injection to the temple, an expected side effect is some initial tenderness when you chew.  

Dara Liotta, MD

Voluma for cheek lifting

Voluma is a great product for lifting deflated cheeks.  It gives lift because it is quite viscous.  The great news is that cheek correction can last for 2-3 years in certain cases.  The product can feel stiff under the skin for up to a week or more, and some tenderness is not uncommon -  lasting from a few days to a week.  If you are experiencing an increase in pain, associated with tenderness, redness or swelling, then you may have an infection and should contact your doctor.

Jason K. Rivers, MD
Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma Recovery Time

While Juvederm Voluma is hyaluronic acid filler (much like Juvederm and Restylane) it’s much thicker. If you think about the nature of the product, this should make sense. Voluma has been indicated to address volume loss in the midface and is very effective in doing so. To replace the missing volume in this area requires a product that is much thicker and therefore longer lasting. For these reasons, Voluma can cause hardness under the injection sites. It should resolve within 7-10 days, however if anything feels abnormal or if it lasts beyond 10 days, I would recommend contacting your injecting physician for an appointment. Considering that you are only 3 days post-injection, your concerns sound normal. Just keep an eye on things, and enjoy your results!

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Local Tenderness after Voluma Treatments for the Upper Cheeks

Considering the density of the hyaluronic acid and the depth of its placement , it isn't  surprising that some localized tenderness results after getting  Voluma injections.   This normally resolves in 4 -7 days and can be minimized by using  Arnica tablets  prior to treatment and a day or two after.  Swelling is generally related to the Lidocaine or micro-bruising from the injection sites below.     Having said this, the little discomfort  that comes with Voluma treatments are  well worth the end-results you will receive  as well as a lasting results !

Recovery after Volume

Thank you for posting your concerns. Voluma has a higher G' prime, which makes the product thicker in order to be able to push your tissues outwards and recreate a full and more youthful cheek. It is an HA and will retain some water in the first few days after the injection. Seems to me that what you are describing is all normal. I tell my patients that it can take up to 1 week to see the final results. Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

Jose Rodríguez-Feliz, MD

Voluma should never be Overfilled

Some swelling will likely subside, but because we can't know exactly how much, it is very unwise to overfill. The approach in my office to to provide a natural, smooth and beautiful result without overfilling. Voluma can and should look natural, but one runs the risk of a lumpy, overfilled, unnatural look if too much material is injected, or if the material is not injected in the appropriate place.  The right injector is even more than the product used for injections. Look at many many photos 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Although Voluma results are seen immediately, some of the injection's side effects may persist for a week or more after the injection: soreness, swelling, redness and firmness. As Voluma is a thick gel, it is often placed deeper than other fillers, which can lead to a "deeper" tenderness. Occasionally if the bone is inadvertently hit with either the needle or the cannula, it can lead to more pronounced tenderness on one side of the face than the other.  The important consideration is that you see gradual improvement in your symptoms, without possible signs of an infection, such as spreading redness, increasing swelling, worsening tenderness, or fevers. Be sure to see your physician with any concerns.