What is the Recovery Time for Voluma in Upper Cheeks?

Hi, I have recently - 3 days ago, had Juvederm Voluma in my upper cheeks to correct quite pronounced flatness. After 3 days they are very tender, & though no bruise is visable, seem quite pronounced and very hard. More so on one side. My Derm has advised they will soften, not to massage, but just leave well enough alone (and take arnica). I am very surprised at the hardness.. & a little worried! Is it possible that the size will indeed subside? Can bruising & swelling cause hardness? Thank you!

Voluma tenderness should dissipate quickly

Juvederm Voluma is a uniquely dense hyaluronic acid filler. That’s why it is ideal for volumizing severely sunken and hollow cheeks. That’s also why Voluma delivers results that last up to two years. Additionally, this density accounts for why cheek areas treated with Voluma may feel swollen and stiff for 3-7 days after the injections. This swelling and tenderness is normal; however, if your symptoms persist and worsen, you may have an infection and you should see your doctor immediately.

Tender Cheeks after Juvedrm Voluma Injection

I tell my patients that it will take a full 10 days to 2 weeks for the tenderness and swelling to subside after Juvederm injection, and for your final results to be apparent.  Tenderness at 3 days after injection is quite normal, as is the "firmness" that you're feeling.  Firmness can be felt with all hyaluronic acid products (Juvederm, Restylane, and Perlane) initially, and Juvederm Voluma is the thickest of these products, so firmness at this stage is expected.  I agree- don't massage, just wait it out.  Incidentally, I also use Juvederm Voluma in the temples- to fill temporal hollowing.  With Voluma injection to the temple, an expected side effect is some initial tenderness when you chew.  

Dara Liotta, MD

Voluma is a much thicker filler than other HA's

Juvederm Voluma is a much thicker and more robust filler than other hyaluronic filler products which is why it is so effective for deflated cheeks and mid face rejuvenation. It is not uncommon for the cheeks to feel swollen after treatment and even a hardness in the treated area. The healing can take a few days to a week, so it is not uncommon to have swelling 3 day post-op. The side effects to look out at this point in time would be worsening swelling and redness, worsening tenderness, fever or any other signs of an infection. If your symptoms are getting worse, it is advisable to call your physician and have them evaluate the treated area.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Depending on the amount of the product injected, swelling and hardness is normal and may take from a few days to a few weeks to resolve.  As long as your symptoms are getting better and not worse, I would wait.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Voluma post-care.

It is not unusual to have firmness or tenderness in the cheeks after a volume injection session. This may be due in part to deeper bleeding/bruising/inflammation which occurs because of the depth of these injections, which are placed usually right above bone. I would even say that this inflammation can sometimes make things look asymmetric as well, until all the inflammation settles. I would ice the area several times a day, and at this point in addition to the arnica you can also take ibuprofen to help reduce swelling and inflammation. You should try to sleep on your back, elevated with several pillows for the next few nights as well.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma swelling and tenderness will go away

Voluma is injected very deep in the cheek. You may have had a deep bruise that has caused some tenderness and swelling, but because it is deep, you don't see any discoloration at the skin surface. I would recommend being patient as this should subside with time, maybe two weeks or so.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma- plan 2 weeks for recovery

Voluma is a thick, firm product, and this is how it helps to lift the face. 

The typical technique is to place small drops of voluma on the cheekbone.  Since the product is placed on the bone, you may feel quite tender for several days afterward.  You likely have some swelling. 

Give the product two weeks to "settle," and then return to your dermatologist for a followup. 

It takes two weeks for Voluma to fully settle

It takes two weeks for Voluma to fully settle.  I generally recommend waiting until after this period before assessing the injection site.  Most people don’t experience pain unless they are applying pressure to the injection site with their fingers.  However, if you are experiencing excessive pain and/or redness right now, I would contact your doctor immediately.  

Voluma healing

Voluma along the cheeks and mid face provide nice volume augmentation and can take a few days to weeks for the swelling and minor bruising to wear off. I tell my patients to not plan anything important for at least the next 1-2 weeks to give ample time for swelling to decrease. This is a great option when looking for the mid face lift that patients desire when they are not ready for surgery.

Thank you for your question.  Although Voluma results are seen immediately, some of the injection's side effects may persist for a week or more after the injection: soreness, swelling, redness and firmness. As Voluma is a thick gel, it is often placed deeper than other fillers, which can lead to a "deeper" tenderness. Occasionally if the bone is inadvertently hit with either the needle or the cannula, it can lead to more pronounced tenderness on one side of the face than the other.  The important consideration is that you see gradual improvement in your symptoms, without possible signs of an infection, such as spreading redness, increasing swelling, worsening tenderness, or fevers. Be sure to see your physician with any concerns.