What is the Recovery Time for Voluma in Upper Cheeks?

Hi, I have recently - 3 days ago, had Juvederm Voluma in my upper cheeks to correct quite pronounced flatness. After 3 days they are very tender, & though no bruise is visable, seem quite pronounced and very hard. More so on one side. My Derm has advised they will soften, not to massage, but just leave well enough alone (and take arnica). I am very surprised at the hardness.. & a little worried! Is it possible that the size will indeed subside? Can bruising & swelling cause hardness? Thank you!

Voluma is a much thicker filler than other HA's

Juvederm Voluma is a much thicker and more robust filler than other hyaluronic filler products which is why it is so effective for deflated cheeks and mid face rejuvenation. It is not uncommon for the cheeks to feel swollen after treatment and even a hardness in the treated area. The healing can take a few days to a week, so it is not uncommon to have swelling 3 day post-op. The side effects to look out at this point in time would be worsening swelling and redness, worsening tenderness, fever or any other signs of an infection. If your symptoms are getting worse, it is advisable to call your physician and have them evaluate the treated area.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma tenderness should dissipate quickly

Juvederm Voluma is a uniquely dense hyaluronic acid filler. That’s why it is ideal for volumizing severely sunken and hollow cheeks. That’s also why Voluma delivers results that last up to two years. Additionally, this density accounts for why cheek areas treated with Voluma may feel swollen and stiff for 3-7 days after the injections. This swelling and tenderness is normal; however, if your symptoms persist and worsen, you may have an infection and you should see your doctor immediately.

Hal Michael Bass, MD

Tender Cheeks after Juvedrm Voluma Injection

I tell my patients that it will take a full 10 days to 2 weeks for the tenderness and swelling to subside after Juvederm injection, and for your final results to be apparent.  Tenderness at 3 days after injection is quite normal, as is the "firmness" that you're feeling.  Firmness can be felt with all hyaluronic acid products (Juvederm, Restylane, and Perlane) initially, and Juvederm Voluma is the thickest of these products, so firmness at this stage is expected.  I agree- don't massage, just wait it out.  Incidentally, I also use Juvederm Voluma in the temples- to fill temporal hollowing.  With Voluma injection to the temple, an expected side effect is some initial tenderness when you chew.  

Dara Liotta, MD

Voluma for cheek lifting

Voluma is a great product for lifting deflated cheeks.  It gives lift because it is quite viscous.  The great news is that cheek correction can last for 2-3 years in certain cases.  The product can feel stiff under the skin for up to a week or more, and some tenderness is not uncommon -  lasting from a few days to a week.  If you are experiencing an increase in pain, associated with tenderness, redness or swelling, then you may have an infection and should contact your doctor.

Voluma lifts cheeks

The symptoms you are describing are normal after a treatment with Voluma. In contrast to Juvederm ultra plus, Juvederm Voluma is not as hydrophilic, meaning it generally causes less swelling. However, the Voluma gel is more firm, and is often placed directly on the cheek bone, so it is common to feel sore for a few days. It is also normal to feel a hardness, as though a pseudo-implant has been placed. This sensation is temporary and will subside. I recommend massaging the area and following up with your physician.

Good luck!

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma- plan 2 weeks for recovery

Voluma is a thick, firm product, and this is how it helps to lift the face. 

The typical technique is to place small dollops of voluma on the cheekbone.  Since the product is placed on the bone, you may feel quite tender for several days afterward.  You likely have some swelling. 

Give the product two weeks to "settle," and then return to your dermatologist for a followup. 

It takes two weeks for Voluma to fully settle

It takes two weeks for Voluma to fully settle.  I generally recommend waiting until after this period before assessing the injection site.  Most people don’t experience pain unless they are applying pressure to the injection site with their fingers.  However, if you are experiencing excessive pain and/or redness right now, I would contact your doctor immediately.  

Voluma healing

Voluma along the cheeks and mid face provide nice volume augmentation and can take a few days to weeks for the swelling and minor bruising to wear off. I tell my patients to not plan anything important for at least the next 1-2 weeks to give ample time for swelling to decrease. This is a great option when looking for the mid face lift that patients desire when they are not ready for surgery.

Voluma Recovery Time

While Juvederm Voluma is hyaluronic acid filler (much like Juvederm and Restylane) it’s much thicker. If you think about the nature of the product, this should make sense. Voluma has been indicated to address volume loss in the midface and is very effective in doing so. To replace the missing volume in this area requires a product that is much thicker and therefore longer lasting. For these reasons, Voluma can cause hardness under the injection sites. It should resolve within 7-10 days, however if anything feels abnormal or if it lasts beyond 10 days, I would recommend contacting your injecting physician for an appointment. Considering that you are only 3 days post-injection, your concerns sound normal. Just keep an eye on things, and enjoy your results!

Babak Azizzadeh, MD