What is the Recovery Time for Voluma in Upper Cheeks?

Hi, I have recently - 3 days ago, had Juvederm Voluma in my upper cheeks to correct quite pronounced flatness. After 3 days they are very tender, & though no bruise is visable, seem quite pronounced and very hard. More so on one side. My Derm has advised they will soften, not to massage, but just leave well enough alone (and take arnica). I am very surprised at the hardness.. & a little worried! Is it possible that the size will indeed subside? Can bruising & swelling cause hardness? Thank you!

Voluma is a much thicker filler than other HA's

+4
Juvederm Voluma is a much thicker and more robust filler than other hyaluronic filler products which is why it is so effective for deflated cheeks and mid face rejuvenation. It is not uncommon for the cheeks to feel swollen after treatment and even a hardness in the treated area. The healing can take a few days to a week, so it is not uncommon to have swelling 3 day post-op. The side effects to look out at this point in time would be worsening swelling and redness, worsening tenderness, fever or any other signs of an infection. If your symptoms are getting worse, it is advisable to call your physician and have them evaluate the treated area.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma for cheek lifting

+2

Voluma is a great product for lifting deflated cheeks.  It gives lift because it is quite viscous.  The great news is that cheek correction can last for 2-3 years in certain cases.  The product can feel stiff under the skin for up to a week or more, and some tenderness is not uncommon -  lasting from a few days to a week.  If you are experiencing an increase in pain, associated with tenderness, redness or swelling, then you may have an infection and should contact your doctor.

Jason K. Rivers, MD
Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon

Hardness is very common as the filler is thicker

+1
Yes, first of all hardness is normal ( I have filler in my cheeks, used Voluma, and could 'feel' the lump for up to 4 weeks). This is just my personal experience. I can't comment of the 'very tender' at day 3 feeling. Sometimes we can cause bruising as we inject the filler, and this may account for the tenderness. 
You dermatologist can guide you accordingly and review as needed. 

If this was bruising then the tenderness will settle over the next few days, HOWEVER the hardness will persist over the next few weeks, this is entirely normal. 

Cheers

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and cosmetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Recovery Time from Voluma to cheeks

+1
Voluma is a fabulous injection for the mid face.  It gives an immediate lift to the cheeks and you leave restored with great results.  Voluma can leave you somewhat swollen or tender like any other injection but will resolve in a few days or week.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in facial injections.

Michele S. Green, MD

Firm areas immediately after fillers tend to resolve with time

+1
It is hard to tell without an exam. You should expect some degree of edema and swelling  to occur in the days following your injection. You should see a noticeable difference and softening of the hard areas you describe in the next several days. Wait a few weeks to determine if it is getting better. In general Voluma is not used immediately below the eyes as thinner less viscous fillers have an advantage like Boletero, or Restylane.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Recpvery time for Voluma

+1
Most patients feel tightness and fullness for a couple of days.  Sometimes it feels tight to open the mouth or chew.  After one week, most patients stop thinking about the injection as it all feels normal. If you are concerned, return to your doctor for evaluation. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Voluma is stiffer and injected deep, so bruising, swelling takes a while.

+1
Alice,
Three days after the right amount of Voluma injected into your cheekbone area and cheeks, it's not surprising you're noting firmness, soreness, and aching. Even when done properly, these feelings would be normal at day 3. Voluma does absorb some water before it settles, and it is injected deeply, against the bone, to give a great scaffold for lifting the cheeks and recreating long lost cheekbone structure. In normal circumstances, it might take 2 or even 3 weeks for all of the stiffness, bruising, and swelling to resolve, so feel reassured. That said, if you are worried in any way, at any time, it's perfectly fine to see your doctor to double check, since there are always risks that come with any invasive procedure. See a board-certified dermatologist or board-certified plastic surgeon for your best safety bet.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

What to expect after Juvederm Voluma

+1
Unlike other fillers, Juvederm has the unique ability to lift the overlying cheek when injected because of its special mechanical properties.  This coupled with a little swelling around the injection points can create a sensation of temporary bumpiness which is not visible but often felt.  This usually subsides by two weeks but can last up to 4 weeks.  Once the minor swelling subsides you will not be able to feel the product.  Other than icing and refraining from vigorous exercise for 24 hours no special precautions are needed.  Some physicians will prescribe arnica.  Do not massage the areas as this will lead to more swelling.

Good luck,

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
200 Stony Brook Court, Newburgh, New York
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon
Clinical Professor New York Presbyterian Hospital
National Education Faculty (physician trainer) for:
Allergan (Juvederm, Voluma), Valient (Scultpra, Restylane),
Cynosure (Cellulaze, Precision Laser Lift) & Solta (Fraxel, Thermage)

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Firmness after Voluma

+1
Most likely you have a mild bruise overlying the cheekbone where the voluma was injected.  Voluma is a more viscous product than other fillers and to provide adequate volume and lifting, it has to be put deeper into the facial skin and tissues.  Treating this with head elevation, cool compresses, and limiting heavy activity until this subsides should help.  

We use blunt cannulas in our practice and this decreases bruising to less than 95% though we still see bruising occasionally.  

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon