What is the Recovery Time for Voluma in Upper Cheeks?

Hi, I have recently - 3 days ago, had Juvederm Voluma in my upper cheeks to correct quite pronounced flatness. After 3 days they are very tender, & though no bruise is visable, seem quite pronounced and very hard. More so on one side. My Derm has advised they will soften, not to massage, but just leave well enough alone (and take arnica). I am very surprised at the hardness.. & a little worried! Is it possible that the size will indeed subside? Can bruising & swelling cause hardness? Thank you!

Tender Cheeks after Juvedrm Voluma Injection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I tell my patients that it will take a full 10 days to 2 weeks for the tenderness and swelling to subside after Juvederm injection, and for your final results to be apparent.  Tenderness at 3 days after injection is quite normal, as is the "firmness" that you're feeling.  Firmness can be felt with all hyaluronic acid products (Juvederm, Restylane, and Perlane) initially, and Juvederm Voluma is the thickest of these products, so firmness at this stage is expected.  I agree- don't massage, just wait it out.  Incidentally, I also use Juvederm Voluma in the temples- to fill temporal hollowing.  With Voluma injection to the temple, an expected side effect is some initial tenderness when you chew.  

Voluma is a much thicker filler than other HA's

Juvederm Voluma is a much thicker and more robust filler than other hyaluronic filler products which is why it is so effective for deflated cheeks and mid face rejuvenation. It is not uncommon for the cheeks to feel swollen after treatment and even a hardness in the treated area. The healing can take a few days to a week, so it is not uncommon to have swelling 3 day post-op. The side effects to look out at this point in time would be worsening swelling and redness, worsening tenderness, fever or any other signs of an infection. If your symptoms are getting worse, it is advisable to call your physician and have them evaluate the treated area.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma for cheek lifting

Voluma is a great product for lifting deflated cheeks.  It gives lift because it is quite viscous.  The great news is that cheek correction can last for 2-3 years in certain cases.  The product can feel stiff under the skin for up to a week or more, and some tenderness is not uncommon -  lasting from a few days to a week.  If you are experiencing an increase in pain, associated with tenderness, redness or swelling, then you may have an infection and should contact your doctor.

Jason K. Rivers, MD
Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma recovery

Voluma is an excellent soft tissue filler for the mid face. There is minimal downtime with Voluma. Make sure you use a BruiseStick ointment and avoid blood thinners to avoid bruising. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Recovery time after Voluma

The recovery time after Voluma injection is usually quite short. Voluma is a more viscous hyaluronic acid filler, and In the areas you are describing it is generally injected right on top of the bone. With this depth of injection and proximity to bone, occasionally the firm feeling you are describing with a deeper swelling can be present and bothersome.

The good news is, these deep, firm areas of swelling resolve within about 10 days and should have no effect on your long-term results. Both superficial and deep bruising can occasionally be present as well. These should resolve over a similar time frame, and if the superficial bruising is bothersome and your doctor has the appropriate laser, he or she may be able to erase those bruises quite easily.

It is always best to follow your physician's post operative instructions. If something seems abnormal or bothers you, it should bother then as well, and they should address it in a manner that satisfies you.

To guarantee you're receiving the highest level of care, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma Recovery Time

My guess is that you may have had a blood collection on one side during the injection which made that side look more pronounced and harder. If that's the case then it should resolve with time.

Mohammed Alghoul, MD

Some firmness after injection of Voluma is not uncommon

I hope that your symptoms have resolved since you last posted. It is not uncommon to have tenderness, some firmness and swelling after Voluma. Infection is always a possibility although not a common one. If you are experiencing increased pain or tenderness, fever or unusual warmth or redness, I would inform your dermatologist right away. Also, your symptoms should get better and not worse with each passing day. If your concerns continue, I would make an appointment to be seen by the doctor. Good luck!

Swelling, bruising, and tenderness to the treatment area is not uncommon

Hi Alice – thank you for your question. I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing some tenderness and swelling after your treatment. Without an in-person visit, I wouldn’t be able to provide you an actual diagnosis on your concern. However, swelling, bruising, and tenderness to the treatment area is not uncommon after an injection. Rest-assured, these post-treatment affects should resolve themselves within the next 3-5 days with gradual improvement. If you experience increasing levels of pain, unusual skin discoloration, or elevated temperature, you should contact your doctor.

In my practice, we encourage patients to visit our “6 Tips for Bruising” page to help reduce and camouflage after-treatment bruising. Sometimes some prep-work before treatment can make a big difference. Also, I use a Microcannula when treating patients that minimize skin punctures and bruises from multiple needle insertion. Topical arnica gel and tablets can be beneficial post-treatment.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hardness is very common as the filler is thicker

Yes, first of all hardness is normal ( I have filler in my cheeks, used Voluma, and could 'feel' the lump for up to 4 weeks). This is just my personal experience. I can't comment of the 'very tender' at day 3 feeling. Sometimes we can cause bruising as we inject the filler, and this may account for the tenderness. 
You dermatologist can guide you accordingly and review as needed. 

If this was bruising then the tenderness will settle over the next few days, HOWEVER the hardness will persist over the next few weeks, this is entirely normal. 

Cheers

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and cosmetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist